NorCal Underwater Hunters Discussion > Abalone & Fisheries Management

A new solution to California’s sea urchin problem: Ranch them and eat them

(1/1)

MATT MATTISON:
A new solution to California’s sea urchin problem: Ranch them and eat them
https://www.sfchronicle.com/food/article/A-new-solution-to-California-s-sea-urchin-14812238.php?fbclid=IwAR2jjwvThOpaujuLDoDoD626l4WCOn67N2maH9jo0badVUSOmmIuNM9zByw

Kshang:
Interesting idea. 

But I wonder how they restrict the reproduction of captive sea urchins, so that during the ranching phase they don't release eggs and sperms into the local water.  If this is not properly addressed, it would seem to me that captive sea urchins are given better resources and opportunity (unlike the starving urchins in the wild now struggling to find kelp) to reach sexual maturity which could further exacerbate the problem.

MATT MATTISON:
That was my question and concern as well about the reproductive part and the eggs and sperm being flooded into the local eco system where as now they are un healthy and not viable to reproduce this could make this situation worse

pclark:
Yep, you would think they couldn't dump any of the used water back into the ocean. 

Also seems like they wouldn't be able to pay the commercial divers enough to make it worth their while.  Guess it depends how much their process costs.  They would all have to get trucked to the plant, plus paying the commerical guys plus their overhead for the nursery..  seems like they would have to charge alot. 

Believe it when I see it

Road Runner:
Cool article. Thanks for sharing. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version