collapse

Author Topic: Anyone have an old AB GRAB bar? Or ideas for favorite scallop bar..  (Read 134 times)

Offline PTandspear

I went out diving today looking for scallops, and after switching to spearfishing somehow lost my favorite old "AB GRAB" bar. I have had this bar for 5 years and super bummed to have lost it..does anyone have one laying around that they would sell?

Otherwise, I need a new scallop bar at this point. Any ideas on a good scallop bar that's legal per regulations?

Thanks,
Chance

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
Re: Anyone have an old AB GRAB bar? Or ideas for favorite scallop bar..
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2019, 07:52:50 AM »
Just use a regular old national divers steel about iron. A regular length and a short for times when you can't maneuver a long iron.

Steel is better for a couple reasons. It's heavier and weights the float line better. It's also stronger than aluminum and won't break on difficult scallops. I have several broken ab grabs to illustrate that point.

Offline PTandspear

Re: Anyone have an old AB GRAB bar? Or ideas for favorite scallop bar..
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2019, 10:13:39 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion Rob, I'll look into getting one of these. You've broke several AB GRAB's? Man that seemed like a tough bar to me lol.

Offline TheKeeneroo

• Administrator
  • There's definitely a fish under THIS rock....
I have an aluminum ab iron just sitting around after thinking I lost my original one.
You're welcome to it if you're near Pacific Grove although they're pretty cheap and you'll probably get it faster via amazon.
I've my used aluminum for 1.5 years on scallops without issue so far and I've literally had to wedge it in and kick it to get scallops off. Just yesterday I fought my hardest scallop yet (cemented in a wedge on 2 separate surfaces) and it did just fine. I keep it on my belt with some bungee while spearfishing and it works for me. I usually drop my gun on a float line as a marker, then go to town.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo    Facebook - @Ekeener1
Century Free Diver, Level 1 Free Dive Cert, EANx
DOTY 2018 - 3rd Place
Bring the Ling 2018 - 1st Place (=P)

Offline NateP

I've been using an aluminum bar and i frequently can't get the scallop off the rock.  I was thinking that more mass might help.  A steel bar bar would be the obvious move, but I've noticed that there are wider bars to choose from as well.  I could see extra width providing more leverage for the twisting motion, but tougher in tight spots.

Anyone done a steel vs aluminum test?

What about a wider bar, or one with more mass?

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
Here is a good write I did on scallop hunting and as for a bar just about any will work I always liked the small ones for tight holes, I am sure I have several old ab bars laying around you can have one if you pay the shipping

http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/index.php?topic=8599.0
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

THANK YOU TO MY AWESOME SPONSORS

Offline Zzz

• Imperius Rex
    • Zzz Youtube
I've been using an aluminum bar and i frequently can't get the scallop off the rock.  I was thinking that more mass might help.  A steel bar bar would be the obvious move, but I've noticed that there are wider bars to choose from as well.  I could see extra width providing more leverage for the twisting motion, but tougher in tight spots.

Anyone done a steel vs aluminum test?

What about a wider bar, or one with more mass?

Stainless steel is more rigid than aluminum. I typically keep a small aluminum bar on my belt and a large stainless bar on my kayak that I bust out for the tough scallops.

It's good to have a variety of sizes. Longer= more leverage, but that's not helpful if it's too long to maneuver into a tight hole

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt