collapse

Author Topic: San Diego Intel  (Read 258 times)

Offline Salifornia

San Diego Intel
« on: October 06, 2019, 04:00:50 PM »
Hey everyone- I am heading down to San Diego.  Going to be right in La Jolla and looking for places I can spearfish.  Any suggestions would be much appreciated? Thanks.

Offline TimBekk

Re: San Diego Intel
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2019, 10:57:23 PM »
South of children's pool is popular, but I didn't see much big there (fish or lobster). If ocean is flat I like Windansea beach. I enter north end of beach and swim out beyond breaks and south straight out from grass roof thing. Cool little 3 or 4 foot deep cracks with lots of little lobsters, some legal. Also fair number of calicos. the kelp beds a quarter mile out were excellent in the past but are all torn out this year. If you hit this wrong it might roll you a bit (keep an eye out for my diveR sea sniper fin lost last week due to a poor choice on my part)

I would consider one of the day boat trips available down there. J&J Spearfishing should be a good place to start the search for a boat trip or other recommendations.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 11:02:12 PM by TimBekk »

Offline andrew37

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2019, 07:25:58 AM »
+1 on the day boat idea. La Jolla is an easy place to shore dive, but imo it’s a difficult place to find anything worth shooting on a shore dive. I’ve had my best luck off the south end of Windansea beach, right along the reserve boundary. But you’d want a kayak to get out there, and if the kelp is all torn out I’m not sure it’ll be all that productive (or easy to find the reef).

A few years ago some kid on Spearboard pulled a respectable yellowtail on a shoredive off Boomers over Thanksgiving weekend. Close to 30lbs if I remember right. If the conditions cooperate, you can dive right along the reserve line and get pretty close to the edge of the La Jolla canyon, and if you’re lucky something might come up out of the depths. But it’s called Boomers for a reason — if the surf’s up it would probably be a washing machine.

Offline Salifornia

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2019, 01:52:56 PM »
Thanks for the info guys.  I just have a small window of time so probably only able to do a shore dive.  Just thankful to be in that SD water.  What size gun you suggest?

Offline andrew37

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2019, 02:03:14 PM »
Thanks for the info guys.  I just have a small window of time so probably only able to do a shore dive.  Just thankful to be in that SD water.  What size gun you suggest?

110 to 120 if you’re looking for yellows, but if you’re going to spend a lot of time on the reef looking for bugs & calicos & sheep, I’d probably take something in the 90cm range.

Offline Salifornia

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2019, 02:59:39 PM »
Is there any rules or regs against spearing and catching bugs at the same time? 
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 03:07:55 PM by Salifornia »

Offline andrew37

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2019, 06:46:57 PM »
Not anymore, as long as you don’t shoot bugs or use the gun to coax them out of the hole. It used to be a whole big thing, because you’re not supposed to possess a “hooked device” while bugging, and some wardens would consider a flopper (and rumor has it sometimes even a slip tip?) to be a hooked device. But a few years ago they updated the regs for obvious reasons. The section on bugs in the reg booklet should specify that possessing spearfishing equipment is okay, but it’s been a while since I’ve read it.

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt