collapse

Author Topic: Sharpening tri-cut tips?  (Read 816 times)

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
Re: Sharpening tri-cut tips?
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2019, 09:08:52 AM »
 GRUMPY OLD MAN HAT ON !!! LOL  just WOW !!!! over complicating a simple topic !! we are shooting rock fish from a few feet away you could use a sharpened stick and a rubber band for gods sake, haven't any of you ever heard the term KISS ? strop over thinking it ! now if you were talking about $80-$100 slip tip then I would understand.

CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

THANK YOU TO MY AWESOME SPONSORS

Offline brysny

« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2019, 12:05:20 PM »
Hmmm.  Matt you may be right about KISS, but then if I followed the principal of Keep It Simple Stupid, I would be walking 5 minutes to the grocery store and buying fish for dinner!  But that takes all the fun out of it.

So instead of KISS -- one of my thread on tips I chucked in the lathe, drilled a 1/8" hole in it and loctited in an 1/8" carbide pin.  Sharpened it up once and it has stayed super sharp AND lets me shoot lots of rocks  ;D

Offline the_derek

« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2019, 01:00:17 PM »
Rob, I love you brother. But I Know how to weld, forge blades, heat treat and anneal blades. I know about brittleness  and I know how to determine where a stress fracture may have started. The "stress fracture" was caused by hitting several rocks through ling and cabezon heads. With all due respect, your above comments are not accurate.

anyone else read... anal beads...

probably just me  :-[
Death is very often referred to as a good career move.

-Buddy Holly

Insta  @_the_derek_

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2019, 01:40:54 PM »
:D

I just left the machine shop. My head machinist agrees with you Dan. He said you would have to hold the temperature for a long time to affect the temper, although it would be better to quench in oil than water.

Offline ddesideria

« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2019, 02:46:46 PM »
Still remember the reply from my friend's uncle back in the day (like 20 years ago).
When I asked why his spear was dull as finger, he explained that carp's scales (it was Ukraine, target species there was carp) are large and heavy armored, so the sharp tip will just pin to the middle of the scale and will try to push the whole thing through the fish's body, while dull one will just slip in between the scales easily without breaking one.
So I still keep his advice and never sharpen mine. Never had problems with penetration so far. Not being afraid to accidentally scratch anything with the sharp tip is an added bonus ;D

Offline Diver Dan

• Dan Romo
    • Studio Romo (My shop: Metal Fabrication, Sculpture restoration, Patina, Cast Bronze, etc)
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2019, 09:38:08 PM »
:D

I just left the machine shop. My head machinist agrees with you Dan. He said you would have to hold the temperature for a long time to affect the temper, although it would be better to quench in oil than water.

I think the lesson we can all take away from this long but entertaining thread is 1. your spears, if high quality should be tempered to the perfect hardness (no need to case harden them). 2. If you sharpen them on a belt sander or grinder, quench them every 1-2 seconds. 3. Probably best to sharpen with a high quality hand file (it has to be harder that the spear to sharpen it) 4. Avoid hitting rocks.

Offline ddesideria

« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2019, 09:50:02 PM »
4. Avoid hitting rocks.
I also heard that water (especially salty) causes corrosion of metal, so better to keep it out in the dry.

Offline Malibu_Two

« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2019, 02:46:22 PM »
GRUMPY OLD MAN HAT ON !!! LOL  just WOW !!!! over complicating a simple topic !! we are shooting rock fish from a few feet away you could use a sharpened stick and a rubber band for gods sake, haven't any of you ever heard the term KISS ? strop over thinking it ! now if you were talking about $80-$100 slip tip then I would understand.

From the $400 open cell neoprene suits to precision made guns, pole spears, masks, etc, there is NOTHING simple about what we do. Lots of technology and science and money goes into free-diving gear. Might as well take care of it properly.

Offline John

« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2019, 01:00:13 PM »
strop over thinking it !

Now dudes are stropping their tips?! Holy smokes, this IS getting deep!
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 01:03:15 PM by John »
Every generation imagines itself to be more intelligent than the one that went before it, and wiser than the one that comes after it. -Orwell

Offline Kshang

« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2019, 10:49:10 AM »
strop over thinking it !

Now dudes are stropping their tips?! Holy smokes, this IS getting deep!

Fishing spear and sushi knife rolled into one.  This has the potential to become the Swiss army knife for the underwater world. 

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt