collapse

Author Topic: Catch & Cook Competition November 9th  (Read 816 times)

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
Catch & Cook Competition November 9th
« on: August 05, 2019, 11:06:29 AM »

Introducing a unique Monterey Catch & Cook Competition (C3) that will draw on your talents from freediving, to hunting, to cooking and marine conservation.

The inaugural Monterey Catch & Cook Competition is a family-friendly event organized by ocean lovers to raise funds for ocean conservation while encouraging sustainable fishing practices. One of the most significant benefits of spearfishing is that fishermen are able to control which species they’re catching and the number of fish they intend to harvest. Therefore, there is no risk of unintentionally catching certain species of fish or marine animals. Since this fishing technique doesn’t usually impact the ocean floor, spearfishing doesn’t have the negative impacts on the ocean environment like other fishing techniques do. Join us as we come together to celebrate the ocean and learn about how we can protect this place we love for future generations to enjoy.

RSVP NOW. Ticket sales are now available for $40 at Monterey Bamboo Reef Dive Shop or Monterey Bay Kayaks. All proceeds will go to Save Our Shores (SOS - saveourshores.org) – a Monterey-based nonprofit organization focused on protection and conservation of our local marine environment for the past 40 years. SOS will also be coordinating a beach clean-up (with prizes!) at this family-friendly event so we encourage you to bring your family and friends. Supplies and permit will be provided by SOS. Raffle tickets are available for purchase, and various prizes can be won even if you don't participate in the catch and cook portion of the event.

C3 RULES and INFORMATION (Read Carefully)

The goal is for an individual (no teams) to create a dish that highlights fresh caught fish that will be prepared and cooked at the event. Sides, sauces and other ingredients can be prepared beforehand and transported to event.  However, the ocean harvested proteins must be caught via free-dive spearfishing after check-in on the day of the event, and then cleaned and fully cooked by heat at the event location (no sashimi – but blanching for use in dishes like ceviche is ok). Meal must be cooked in typical catch and cook style (i.e., portable propane, charcoal briquettes and electric portable stoves/grills only). ALL DFW REGULATIONS AND MPA BOUNDARIES MUST BE FOLLOWED – see links below. All State and Local game/fish rules apply. Competitors must possess a valid CA fishing license. All spearguns, including pole spears, must be loaded using muscle power. Spearguns must be loaded and unloaded in the water. Fish may only be taken while freediving. Use of SCUBA or hooka system will not be permitted. Divers must take their own fish with any aid whatsoever upon penalty of disqualification. Fish not allowed: Sharks, Rays, Skates, or any other fish whose take is prohibited by California law.
Failure to comply with Tournament Rules will result in disqualification.

CATCH & COOK PRIZES:
-   The 3 main prizes will go to the competitors that present the 3 highest scored dishes based on the categories listed below (the sum total of all category points). The panel of judges will include professional chefs with various backgrounds and cooking disciplines. Each contestant will need to prepare 3 identical plates; one for each judge. Fish must be the highlight of the dish but use of complementary invertebrates is encouraged. Each dish must include fish (i.e., not a dish with the only protein/meat being an invertebrate).

Points will be awarded for each of the following categories:
-   Fish use. How many different parts of the fish you utilized in your dish (e.g., belly meat, head, collar, roe, fillet, cheeks, stock, etc.) – max of 20 points
-   Overall presentation of dish (contrasting colors and textures attractively or uniquely presented) – max of 30 points
-   Difficulty of techniques used in preparation of your dish. – max of 10 points
-   Taste. Complementary flavors, textures and precision of cooking. – max of 40 points

5 additional points awarded for inclusion of:
-   Vermillion, Triggerfish, Scallop, Mussels, Urchin, Monkeyfaced Eel, Halibut, Striped Bass, Crab or other invertebrate; however, they must be collected on the day of the event and fish must be highlight of the dish.

ALTERNATE PRIZES:
Note: Participating in the cooking portion of this event is not necessary to win the below prizes.
1) Heaviest fish gets a great prize, honorable mention and bragging rights. If an exact tie, length will determine winner.
2) Most urchins removed – If more than 1 person submits a limit of urchin, total weight will determine winner.
3) Beach Clean Up: No entry fee required if only participating in the beach clean-up. Top 3 participants with the most bags (by volume) of trash and garbage picked up on day of event at the beach. More information below.

RAFFLE:
-   Event participants will get 5 raffle tickets with their entry fee and an additional 10 raffle tickets for participating in the cooking portion of the competition.
-   Additional raffle tickets will be available for cash purchase by any friends/family of the paid participants.
-   Must be present to win prizes.

COMPETITION SCHEDULE:
Note: These timelines will be strictly held and any tardiness will result in disqualification.
Check-in at Monterey Bay Kayaks
-   6:00 AM Sharp: Check-In and waiver signing.
-   6:20 AM: PFI freediving instructor's safety briefing.
-   6:30 AM: Divers released to travel to a dive destination of their choosing.
Weigh In / Return Deadline
-   12:00 PM or earlier (No fish after 12:00 PM will be eligible for weighing or cooking.)
Judging of Food Deadline
-   1:00 PM or earlier (Your dish must be ready to be judged or you will be disqualified.)
The order of judging will be "first finished, first judged" so dishes don't get cold.
Raffle
-   1:15 PM
Awards and Prizes to Participants
-   1:45 PM

BEACH CLEAN UP INFORMATION
S.O.S. will be hosting an open-to-public beach cleanup meeting at Monterey Bay Kayaks at 10:00 AM should family and friends of participants want to take interest for the wellbeing of our marine environment. There will be 3 great prizes for those with the largest volume of trash picked up.

Beach clean-up event and supplies coordinated by SOS volunteer, Nia Carrico-Diener. We recommend that all volunteers dress in layers, wear sun protection, and bring a filled reusable water bottle. Volunteers under the age of 18 MUST be accompanied by an adult. Closed-toed shoes are highly recommended. Restrooms and drinking fountains are available onsite. No RSVPs are necessary, but you can print and complete their waiver beforehand to save time. Be sure to bring your signed copy (1 per volunteer) to the event. If you have additional questions, please contact  nia@saveourshores.org.

GYOTAKU PRESENTATION – specific details to come.

Link to event page on FB  https://www.facebook.com/events/1266174056894766/

« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 11:38:38 AM by TheKeeneroo »
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

THANK YOU TO MY AWESOME SPONSORS

Offline TheKeeneroo

• Administrator
  • There's definitely a fish under THIS rock....
Re: Catch & Cook Competition November 9th
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2019, 11:39:53 AM »
Thanks Matt! Here is an 8.5x11 flyer if anyone is willing to print and put in your local dive shops up north.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo    Facebook - @Ekeener1
Century Free Diver, Level 1 Free Dive Cert, EANx
DOTY 2018 - 3rd Place
Bring the Ling 2018 - 1st Place (=P)

Offline bythog

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2019, 11:54:23 AM »
Thanks Matt! Here is an 8.5x11 flyer if anyone is willing to print and put in your local dive shops up north.

Just to poke fun a little at whoever made the flyer: inaugural already means first...unless you are going to have multiple first competitions.  ;)

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2019, 01:05:21 PM »

I sent it to my 2 local shops sonoma coast divers and Seals watersports

Offline TheKeeneroo

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2019, 01:40:32 PM »

Just to poke fun a little at whoever made the flyer: inaugural already means first...unless you are going to have multiple first competitions.  ;)

bahahahaha that's too funny. the dude that made that was not me... he sent it to me and i made a couple changes, but totally didn't catch that.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward

Eric, Pacific Grove
DOTY 2018 - 3rd Place

Offline Zzz

• Imperius Rex
    • Zzz Youtube
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2019, 02:25:47 PM »
Very cool concept!

Offline TheKeeneroo

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2019, 03:30:04 PM »
I'M BLOWN AWAY that after putting the Catch and Cook event out publicly last week, we already have insane sponsors like Omer with huge buy in from Bamboo Reef and Monterey Bay Kayaks, and ridiculous prizes like a sick fishing kayak, roller guns, custom freedive suits, and have been featured on multiple forums/blogs like Noob Spearo Podcast, DeeperBlue, and Adreno (article coming out soon). For a simple idea at first, this thing sure blew up fast. I'll start personally thanking sponsors on this page and various other platforms next week. Stay tuned for all the rad gear and prizes we're getting!

Make sure you sign up if you haven't already! Facebook Event Link   Event Bright Event Link

Eric, Pacific Grove
DOTY 2018 - 3rd Place

Offline Catchncook

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2019, 10:07:12 PM »
Sounds crazy fun! I will do my best to be there!

Offline TheKeeneroo

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2019, 08:56:09 AM »
With a name like yours, you better! haha. Let me know if you have any questions about the event

Eric, Pacific Grove
DOTY 2018 - 3rd Place

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2019, 02:49:53 PM »
Hey Eric I might have to come down and just join you for the day events and dive, as I can shoot fish but I cannot cook it !!!!

Offline TheKeeneroo

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2019, 03:42:39 PM »
Hey Eric I might have to come down and just join you for the day events and dive, as I can shoot fish but I cannot cook it !!!!

You should man! There is a rad prize for biggest fish too. I'll confirm this week but based on the email from them I think Suunto wants to be a main sponsor so I asked for like 5 dive watches haha. We'll see what happens. There will also be great prizes for top 3 people who pick up the most trash, so you/your kids can do that too. We will also have a gyotaku presentation to keep people entertained =) I'm working on getting a legit gyotaku piece as a prize as well.

Eric, Pacific Grove
DOTY 2018 - 3rd Place

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2019, 09:36:34 AM »
ok eric I will come on down with the kayak, you going to let me dive with you ?

Offline TheKeeneroo

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2019, 10:56:54 AM »
ok eric I will come on down with the kayak, you going to let me dive with you ?

For ethical and event coordination reasons, I won't be competing in this event, just organizing and running it. Which is kinda a bummer... because I had no idea we'd have such sick prizes... DiveR just confirmed their top of the line carbon fins (retail at $700) and we will have at least 1 kayak and a couple nice pathos roller guns. Not to mention a LOT of other stuff for raffle and prizes (we are sure to have many prizes that are not dive related too for anyone doing the beach clean up and raffle).

Eric, Pacific Grove
DOTY 2018 - 3rd Place

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2019, 12:31:18 PM »
I can relate and totally understand, that is what I did and dealt with that for the last 12 years when I did my comps, I never competed in them or got to dive on that day ! and 90% of the time the water was epic !!! Nice job on the prizes !! so explain how this works, ? does a diver have to cook up their catch to win ?

Offline TheKeeneroo

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2019, 01:13:21 PM »
The goal is for an individual (no teams) to create a dish that highlights fresh caught fish that will be prepared and cooked at the event. Sides, sauces and other ingredients can be prepared beforehand and transported to event.  However, the ocean harvested proteins must be caught via free-dive spearfishing after check-in on the day of the event, and then cleaned and fully cooked by heat at the event location (no sashimi – but blanching for use in dishes like ceviche is ok). Meal must be cooked in typical catch and cook style on a personal heat source that you bring (i.e., portable propane, charcoal briquettes and electric portable stoves/grills only). Fish may only be taken while freediving. Fish not allowed: Sharks, Rays, Skates, or any other fish whose take is prohibited by California law.

CATCH & COOK PRIZES AND SCORING:
-   The 3 main prizes will go to the competitors that present the 3 highest scored dishes based on the categories listed below (the sum total of all category points). The panel of judges will include professional chefs with various backgrounds and cooking disciplines. Each contestant will need to prepare 3 identical plates; one for each judge. Fish must be the highlight of the dish but use of complementary invertebrates is encouraged. Each dish must include fish (i.e., not a dish with the only protein/meat being an invertebrate).

Points will be awarded for each of the following categories:
-   Fish use. How many different parts of the fish you utilized in your dish (e.g., belly meat, head, collar, roe, fillet, cheeks, stock, etc.) – max of 20 points
-   Overall presentation of dish (contrasting colors and textures attractively or uniquely presented) – max of 30 points
-   Difficulty of techniques used in preparation of your dish. – max of 10 points
-   Taste. Complementary flavors, textures and precision of cooking. – max of 40 points

5 additional points awarded for inclusion of:
-   Vermillion, Scallop, Mussels, Urchin, Monkeyfaced Eel, Halibut, Striped Bass, Crab or other invertebrate; however, they must be collected on the day of the event and fish must be highlight of the dish.

ALTERNATE PRIZES:
Note: Participating in the cooking portion of this event is not necessary to win the below prizes.
1) Heaviest fish gets a great prize, honorable mention and bragging rights. If an exact tie, length will determine winner.
2) Most urchins removed – If more than 1 person submits a limit of urchin, total weight will determine winner.
3) Beach Clean Up: No entry fee required if only participating in the beach clean-up. Top 3 participants with the most bags (by volume) of trash and garbage picked up on day of event at the beach. More information below.

RAFFLE:
-   Event participants will get 5 raffle tickets with their entry fee and an additional 10 raffle tickets for participating in the cooking portion of the competition.
-   Additional raffle tickets will be available for cash purchase by any friends/family of the paid participants.
-   Must be present to win prizes.

COMPETITION SCHEDULE:
Note: These timelines will be strictly held and any tardiness will result in disqualification.
Check-in at Monterey Bay Kayaks
-   6:00 AM Sharp: Check-In and waiver signing.
-   6:20 AM: PFI freediving instructor's safety briefing.
-   6:30 AM: Divers released to travel to a dive destination of their choosing.
Weigh In / Return Deadline
-   12:00 PM or earlier (No fish after 12:00 PM will be eligible for weighing or cooking.)
Judging of Food Deadline
-   1:00 PM or earlier (Your dish must be ready to be judged or you will be disqualified.)
The order of judging will be "first finished, first judged" so dishes don't get cold.
Raffle
-   1:15 PM
Awards and Prizes to Participants
-   1:45 PM

Eric, Pacific Grove
DOTY 2018 - 3rd Place

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt