collapse

Author Topic: Budget Dive Board  (Read 472 times)

Offline Zzz

• Imperius Rex
    • Zzz Youtube
Budget Dive Board
« on: June 28, 2019, 11:09:43 AM »
I built a shoredive board recently and I thought I'd share.

Started with a $20 Body Board from Costco. Make sure you get the sweet shark protection graphics.

I had most of the parts lying around from other projects. In total there is about $60 in material if you had to buy it all new:
- (1x) Body Board
- (8x) Leash Plugs
- (10ft) 3/16" Paracord
- (2x) 14"x14" Stretchy motorcycle cargo netting
- (1x) Pair of backpack straps
- (2x) Heavy Rubber Twist Ties
- (3x) Ball Bungees

Construction is pretty self-explanatory:
-Drill holes and install leash plugs. I used hot glue to seal the plugs and prevent water intrusion into the styrofoam. Other types of sealants may react with the styrofoam and degrade it.
-String the paracord tigtly through the leash plugs and secure with a nice surgeon loop knot at each end
-I strung paracord through the netting on the left side of the board, but left it loose on the right side. I secure the right side of the netting with the removable twist ties to make stuffing gear in there easier.
-Everything else clips/ties to the paracord.

Gear bag, gun, fish stringer, water bottle, shoes, and dive flag all clip to the paracord and the netting keeps them constrained and streamlined on the water

Construction took about an hour. I had all the material sitting around and a plan drawn up (literally because I'm a nerd and I plan everything out in CAD before I build/buy) for a few months until my buddies called for a last minute shore-dive and I slapped it together the night before.

I'm very happy with how it turned out. It's light and compact enough to climb down a cliff with it on your back and still buoyant enough to be effective. Way better than the crappy inner tube I had been using and it motivated me to explore some new spots. First shore dive since I got a kayak two years ago:

Pros:
-Effective and affordable
-Lightweight
-Catch a wave on your way in

Cons:
-Limited storage
-Limited buoyancy

Offline Creatura

Re: Budget Dive Board
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2019, 11:28:14 AM »
Build me one bru

Offline TheKeeneroo

• Administrator
  • There's definitely a fish under THIS rock....
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2019, 02:08:28 PM »
Make sure you get the sweet shark protection graphics.

Hahahah that was hilarious. Board looks great! I really like the second net on top. riding waves on the way in is the best.

Couple thoughts. Your fins will slip out the bottom as you do longer hikes. I had to put a leash plug centered on the bottom to keep them from going through. Does the paracord at the top (that the straps clip to) stay on? If so, it might cause unwanted drag as you swim and might catch on kelp or shallow rocks on your way in/out. What do you do with the straps while your in the water? I like keeping a dive bag connected so that I can put my watersocks/straps/fish in it while on the water (water socks aka shoes that go over my wetsuit booties so that they don't rip while hiking down cliffs) - I find the fish like to flop around if they're not transported in the dive bag. This is only relevant if hiking a ways back to the car. What do you use to anchor? I prefer kelp clip/boogie leash, but as kelp is lacking these days, I made a simple anchor out of a 3# dive weight connected to a reef hook (with a 6" leader to the hook from the weight). It keeps the board in place with 550 cord. :)
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo    Facebook - @Ekeener1
Century Free Diver, Level 1 Free Dive Cert, EANx
DOTY 2018 - 3rd Place
Bring the Ling 2018 - 1st Place (=P)

Offline Zzz

• Imperius Rex
    • Zzz Youtube
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2019, 09:50:29 AM »
I haven't used the thing much yet (I'm lucky to get in 10 dive days a year) so more testing is needed. I did repel down a cliff yesterday and it was perfect, however. The only upgrade I think I need right now is a small camleback reservoir with a hose so I don't have to fumble with my water bottle as much.

Gear stowage, fish floppage, and fin slippage isn't much of a problem. I can get crafty enough with my kui, floatline, and assortment of carabiners and tuna clips to keep it all secure. I run my kui through my foot pockets for added security when hiking.

The backpack strap mounting could be better, but it works. I unclip the straps and stuff them into the my small gear bag otw and the drag from the paracord is negligible and its tight enough that its not likely to catch kelp (There is no kelp here anyway  :( )

I can easily clip my 3# folding kayak anchor on if I choose. Yesterday I just drug the board behind me on the end of my floatline and it was hardly noticeable.

Offline charlierobinton

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2019, 09:29:22 AM »
Nice board! Really similar to one I made for myself last year and I still love it! Although I have graphic envy now from seeing yours...

Offline Travis Mills

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2019, 05:05:31 PM »
Type in abalone float board on Google.  Roger  Rude has step by step directions.. I've put three together in 7 or 8 years and still use them for shore dives..  customized each one a little different but attached game bag same way..   made my shoulder straps detachable so I can leave them on the beach.. less drag when kicking out and in. UK lobster bag pretty durable also..

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt