collapse

Author Topic: Borrow 100' bungee set up?  (Read 859 times)

Offline TheKeeneroo

• Administrator
  • There's definitely a fish under THIS rock....
Borrow 100' bungee set up?
« on: June 14, 2019, 08:57:19 AM »
Heading to Baja Oct 21-25. I have a float and 50' float line, just need a bungee por favor! I would greatly appreciate someone letting me borrow theirs... It will travel in my sport tube to avoid damage. I don't go BWH enough to justify purchasing one. I imagine a 100' overall set up would be prime.

Gracias Amigos!

« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 09:41:34 AM by TheKeeneroo »
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo    Facebook - @Ekeener1
Century Free Diver, Level 1 Free Dive Cert, EANx
DOTY 2018 - 3rd Place
Bring the Ling 2018 - 1st Place (=P)

Offline ryang85

Re: Borrow 100' bungee set up?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2019, 08:33:36 PM »
Heading to Baja Oct 21-25. I have a float and 50' float line, just need a bungee por favor! I would greatly appreciate someone letting me borrow theirs... It will travel in my sport tube to avoid damage. I don't go BWH enough to justify purchasing one. I imagine a 100' overall set up would be prime.

Gracias Amigos!
A 20 foot bungee would be more than adequate behind your 50. Many people will run a stretchy 50 float line.  Unless your on the Pacific  side targeting  big cow tuna then youl want that 50 foot bungee with nothing  else. 100 foot is a lot of line to wrap up and potentially tangle when you and 3 other guys are rushing to drop on fish off a small boat. Your pangero will greatly appreciate not having to pull in  and throw out that extra 50 feet too. If your chasing pargo you definitely  don't want any stretch and the rocks  will destroy any bungee instantly.  I use a 65' crab rope for them.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Offline TheKeeneroo

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2019, 08:18:34 AM »

Gracias Amigos!
A 20 foot bungee would be more than adequate behind your 50. Many people will run a stretchy 50 float line.  Unless your on the Pacific  side targeting  big cow tuna then youl want that 50 foot bungee with nothing  else. 100 foot is a lot of line to wrap up and potentially tangle when you and 3 other guys are rushing to drop on fish off a small boat. Your pangero will greatly appreciate not having to pull in  and throw out that extra 50 feet too. If your chasing pargo you definitely  don't want any stretch and the rocks  will destroy any bungee instantly.  I use a 65' crab rope for them.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I'm going to bring 2 set ups, a 75' floatline w a 10' bungee and a crab pot rope (as you mentioned).
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward

Eric, Pacific Grove
DOTY 2018 - 3rd Place

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2019, 08:33:59 PM »
I’m no expert, but I have found that rope has a tendency to entangle the person handling it in the water. So much so that I will not dive with anyone using rope. I have used it 25 years ago as an anchor line on an abalone float and I have to say that I’m more concerned about rope than sharks.

If you have no other option than rope, I have a 100’ Riffe cored blue water floatline you can take.

Offline TheKeeneroo

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2019, 08:01:13 AM »
I’m no expert, but I have found that rope has a tendency to entangle the person handling it in the water. So much so that I will not dive with anyone using rope. I have used it 25 years ago as an anchor line on an abalone float and I have to say that I’m more concerned about rope than sharks.

If you have no other option than rope, I have a 100’ Riffe cored blue water floatline you can take.

Thank you Rob! I have a 100' float line option as well. I think I'm set for the trip. Curious about the rope opinion though. A few of the BWH charters I've seen or been on all use rope to their floats when going after Mahi / Ono. You're right that it does tangle more easily. Maybe its just worth the tangles and avoid the expensive float lines.

Eric, Pacific Grove
DOTY 2018 - 3rd Place

Offline charlierobinton

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2019, 08:58:02 PM »
I think between all of us we are going to have more than enough floatlines on this trip  8)

Offline TheKeeneroo

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2019, 08:54:03 AM »
I think between all of us we are going to have more than enough floatlines on this trip  8)

Agreed!

Eric, Pacific Grove
DOTY 2018 - 3rd Place

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2019, 06:41:14 PM »

Thank you Rob! I have a 100' float line option as well. I think I'm set for the trip. Curious about the rope opinion though. A few of the BWH charters I've seen or been on all use rope to their floats when going after Mahi / Ono. You're right that it does tangle more easily. Maybe its just worth the tangles and avoid the expensive float lines.

It’s not my opinion. Rope spirals into loops that can easily wrap around you. When tension is applied it will ensnare you. If it happens underwater your in trouble. That’s not an opinion.

Here’s my opinion: if in fact dive boats or divers are using rope rather than a floatline it’s because of money. We just lost a good friend and an excellent diver that would be here today if he had used an frv. The decision not to use an frv was likely because the price is prohibitive. But, if a person chooses to use something that is inherently dangerous because it’s cheaper than a floatline, then they don’t value their life. Anyone who would suggest to another diver to use an unsafe substitute cares more about blowing hot air than they do the others life.  And if by chance a person takes that bad advice and dies because of it, the person who gave the advice should be brought up on charges. THAT’s my opinion

Offline TheKeeneroo

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2019, 08:46:58 AM »

It’s not my opinion. Rope spirals into loops that can easily wrap around you. When tension is applied it will ensnare you. If it happens underwater your in trouble. That’s not an opinion.

Here’s my opinion: if in fact dive boats or divers are using rope rather than a floatline it’s because of money. We just lost a good friend and an excellent diver that would be here today if he had used an frv. The decision not to use an frv was likely because the price is prohibitive. But, if a person chooses to use something that is inherently dangerous because it’s cheaper than a floatline, then they don’t value their life. Anyone who would suggest to another diver to use an unsafe substitute cares more about blowing hot air than they do the others life.  And if by chance a person takes that bad advice and dies because of it, the person who gave the advice should be brought up on charges. THAT’s my opinion

The last line of my reply was not to say that I personally think it's worth pinching pennies, I was saying perhaps that's why the charters do it. And no need to jump on my use of of the word "opinion" - I was merely soliciting your thoughts.

Eric, Pacific Grove
DOTY 2018 - 3rd Place

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2019, 06:59:45 PM »

The last line of my reply was not to say that I personally think it's worth pinching pennies, I was saying perhaps that's why the charters do it. And no need to jump on my use of of the word "opinion" - I was merely soliciting your thoughts.

Sorry, I made the assumption that I understood what you said, what I didn’t realize is that what you wrote is not what you meant.  Either way, now you know what I think. Btw, the offer of a floatline, as well as a 6’ bungee still stands.

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt