collapse

Author Topic: 38 special Northwest  (Read 313 times)

Offline Sea-Monkey

38 special Northwest
« on: May 30, 2019, 07:10:18 PM »
Hi all, I am an admitted spearo newby and have only used wood guns, but when I visited Underwater Progression and they told me the 38 Special Northwest was popular in the area but it was going to be discontinued I panicked and bought one. My question is: when do you really need the third band??? If I was shooting sharks I would understand, but it seems like a lot. I welcome general thoughts about this gun. Thanks!

Offline Sea-Monkey

Re: 38 special Northwest
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2019, 07:17:23 PM »
Forgot to post images if you unmafiliar...

Offline Ptown707

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2019, 07:20:22 PM »
No I took the 3rd one off, I have the same gun. Love it!!!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 07:25:28 PM by Ptown707 »
"Out of water, I am nothing." Duke Kahanamoku

Offline Kshang

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2019, 07:49:52 PM »
I have the wooden/teak version of this—woody magnum.  It’s the right size for NorCal.  I use two bands for mid-water species and one band for short-range, point-blank hole hunting. 

Offline Sea-Monkey

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2019, 07:51:03 PM »
Good to hear it is a decent tool, do you hook up on the front two slots or the back two?

Offline Ptown707

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2019, 07:53:43 PM »
Good to hear it is a decent tool, do you hook up on the front two slots or the back two?

One band on each notch
"Out of water, I am nothing." Duke Kahanamoku

Offline Kshang

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2019, 08:52:06 PM »
If the muzzle is the same as my wooden version, there is a slit whereby you can take out one band (which you can use as a backup).   With the rest two, you can choose to use any two of the three notches, depending on how much power you would like for the shot. 

Offline Sea-Monkey

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2019, 08:56:42 PM »
sorry, I wasn't clear, the front and middle notch or the middle and back? Seems like the front two would be more stable, but the 2nd and 3rd would provide more punch.

Offline Sea-Monkey

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2019, 08:58:31 PM »
ok, got it, thanks!

Offline TheKeeneroo

• Administrator
  • There's definitely a fish under THIS rock....
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2019, 07:23:12 AM »
The caution with this gun is the closed muzzle. You'll have to learn to throw the gun back on close shots so the shaft doesn't bend or the muzzle doesn't break. Most people prefer open muzzle due to NorCal hole hunting (and halibut hunting) sometimes requiring point blank shots. I've had a big ling break a closed muzzle and thankfully I dremeled it to be open muzzle. The 38 special muzzle is way thicker than the one that I broke which makes me think the shaft might bend before the muzzle breaks. You can avoid this by every time you pull the trigger, immediately throw the gun backwards behind you to clear the end of the shaft from the muzzle.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo    Facebook - @Ekeener1
Century Free Diver, Level 1 Free Dive Cert, EANx
DOTY 2018 - 3rd Place
Bring the Ling 2018 - 1st Place (=P)

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt