collapse

Author Topic: Meandros B32  (Read 570 times)

Offline Salifornia

Meandros B32
« on: May 22, 2019, 06:50:10 PM »
I am considering getting a Meandros B32.  Anyone have any experience with these guns?

How do they shoot?
Any issues?
Durability and longevity?

I was considering the B28 but I like the upgrade of the trigger mech ie pin roller version on the B32.  And the tube is a bit beefier than the B28. 

Really looking for a quality and durability upgrade from my pathos.  Any input,  witinin reason;), is greatly appreciated. 

Offline kodama

Re: Meandros B32
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2019, 12:14:58 AM »
That certainly seems like an quality speargun that I would love to try out myself.

There is a tread about it on another board here:
http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=191703

Do you have any more information about the trigger? I would love to see detailed pictures of it. The description sounds intriguing and makes me thing of the Ermes Sub double roller trigger which I love and have used in several of my guns.

EDIT:
On the Meandros facebook page you can find a short video of the pin roller trigger.
It is a single roller trigger with a roller that engages with the spearshaft notch. This helps a smooth release and makes sure the shaft doesn't 'jump' upon release which would cause oscillation and an inaccurate shot.

Now I want one..
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 01:32:36 AM by kodama »

Offline kodama

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2019, 02:21:52 AM »
I found a couple more pictures which illustrate my explanation above.

And some more for a view of the muzzle and handle.

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2019, 12:22:56 PM »
way to much thinking for a norcal rock fish gun !! our rock fish can be shot with just about any gun, it is not like we are shooting WSB or YT or calico's that are skittish fish
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

Offline Salifornia

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2019, 12:36:17 PM »
🙌🏾 So true Matt.  But it’s nice to geek out on gear when conditions are not cooperating. 

Offline ryang85

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2019, 02:52:01 PM »
So true Matt.  But it’s nice to geek out on gear when conditions are not cooperating.
Pathos have a decent mech already( im talking about their reverse mech model) , if you want an upgraded mech get the ermes sub roller mech that replaces the pathos, its probably the best mech design thats available in the US in my experience. Meandros sort of took his design and  attempted to make a cheeper  mass production version.  The pathos handle is about the best you can get on a euro  without  custimizing. I Personally  prefer  rollerguns so a mantis roller head will increase range and accuracy on your small gun which its great for shooting reds on the move  and  lings  in holes. Some people  dont like the long recoil of a roller gun  so thats your opinion.
Ive looked over the meandros and they are well built, but the pathos arnt too far behind in quality ,  but for the cost i would modify your pathos and make a solid rollergun.  If you got dollars to kill slap a mantis rollerhead on a meandros and that would be almost equal to a pathos with a ermes and youd have a second gun( you cant have too many guns).

Honestly for norcal i don't think the trigger  make a huge difference  since we are lining up long shots like you would on a YT or wahoo. Most of our shots are quick shots or hole shots. But a top notch mech wouldnt hurt.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 03:24:27 PM by ryang85 »

Offline Salifornia

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2019, 03:28:45 PM »
Right on.  All great points.  Thanks for your input.  I unfortunately, have had several 75 pathos with minor issues that have made me second guess their craftsmanship.  One pathos came with a broken handle.  No biggy.  But frustrating when you drop 2 or so bills.  Brand new guns should work right away.   And not be broken. Second pathos the manufacturer changed something and the flopper wasn’t staying tucked up on the muzzle.  The barrel length had changed or something.  Inconsistency with quality.  And lastly, I had a pathos repeatedly go off at random.  One time as I was pulling my gun to me via the floatline 3-4 feet from me the gun went off, muzzle smacked me in the mask.  No bueno for me. I think that was the nail in the coffin for me.  I would prefer to keep to one gun manufacturer so to keep consistent.  But not with that type of stuff happening. 

Anyone else experience any issues with their pathos?  Or am I the only Larry David here!

All said and done I just want a long lasting reliable gun.  There’s enough shit that goes wrong out there. 

Offline ryang85

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2019, 03:33:05 PM »
Right on.  All great points.  Thanks for your input.  I unfortunately, have had several 75 pathos with minor issues that have made me second guess their craftsmanship.  One pathos came with a broken handle.  No biggy.  But frustrating when you drop 2 or so bills.  Brand new guns should work right away.   And not be broken. Second pathos the manufacturer changed something and the flopper wasn’t staying tucked up on the muzzle.  The barrel length had changed or something.  Inconsistency with quality.  And lastly, I had a pathos repeatedly go off at random.  One time as I was pulling my gun to me via the floatline 3-4 feet from me the gun went off, muzzle smacked me in the mask.  No bueno for me. I think that was the nail in the coffin for me.  I would prefer to keep to one gun manufacturer so to keep consistent.  But not with that type of stuff happening. 

Anyone else experience any issues with their pathos?  Or am I the only Larry David here!

All said and done I just want a long lasting reliable gun.  There’s enough shit that goes wrong out there.
Hmm,my pathos  have been flawless but that dosnt mean anything,  Do you know what version of the pathos handle you had, ( DeAngelo 1vs DeAngelo 2 or standard open plastic)  The plastic open mechs are garbage compared  to the SS reverse.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Offline Salifornia

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2019, 04:39:51 PM »
Yea I’ve got a 60 Pathos that has just been a sweetheart to me for the most part.  Plus the size for hole hunting and basically anything we shoot around here.  Both guns I have are D2’s handles.  I love those handles.  Dang am I talking myself back into a pathos?????

Offline naturalSelection

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2019, 08:40:03 PM »
Have you considered the Rob Allen Ocean Hunter gsg? I don't use pipe guns, but I've heard excellent things about RAs guns, apparently they can really take a beating. and they're fairly priced.

Offline kodama

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2019, 04:41:18 AM »
way to much thinking for a norcal rock fish gun !! our rock fish can be shot with just about any gun, it is not like we are shooting WSB or YT or calico's that are skittish fish

I can only agree with your statement. I was just providing information regarding this particular gun.
For NorCal spearing I can get away with any brand of gun and a 65-75 is plenty for most situations. In that size and shooting range details that may influence accuracy are not that relevant at all. However I would love to try one of these since they do seem well made.
Personally i am interested in the 85 for use further down south or on reefs with good vis. I would rig it as a competition style gun with a single band for fast reloads versatile both for hole hunting and those fish I can approach well.

Offline kodama

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2019, 01:42:15 PM »
Since I am in Europe at this moment I was able to get one of these guns for a really nice price including a reel, dyneema, a bag and some other goodies like a t shirt, cap and stickers.
Of course the only thing that concerns us is the speargun itself.

After close inspection it looks like a really decent quality piece of gear. I own and have used many mass produced guns and the ones that are considered some of the best are either Pathos or Rob Allen. Most of us know these brands so that is what I am comparing them with in regards to build quality and performance.

Some pictures.

The handle seems pretty good. Better than the Pathos where the palm to trigger distance is too large to my taste. The safety is integrated in the trigger guard and seems to actually work. Not that I care about safeties on spearguns but that’s a different topic.

The trigger seems well made and that is to be expected from Meandros who are known for producing good triggers. I have to use it first for a while before I can form a good opinion about the trigger though.

The muzzle feels strong and is well thought true. Wrapping is possible on either side. Bands lay very neat when stretched.

The reel looks bombproof made out of stainless steel and delrin and is auto release as is common with Greek spearguns. I guess it holds 50 m of line.

The alu barrel is better than what I have seen on most guns. Pretty beefy and it has flat sides which will contribute to stiffness.

At first sight it does seem a step up from Pathos or RA but that is just an educated guess.
In a couple of weeks when I have put it true it’s paces I will be able to tell you all more.

Actually I am surprised I hadn’t heard from this speargun before this tread because it sure deserves to get mentioned.

Offline Salifornia

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2019, 02:12:32 AM »
Right on.  Great write up.  Well I ended up picking one up.  It hurts but I think for me Pathos still takes the cake at least for NorCal.  Simply put you can’t beat the low profile and slenderness of the pathos, the line release never really bothered me, and the sandvik shaft is so solid.  The slenderness allows for easy tracking of fish, movement in water and ease of access in holes. The handle on the pathos takes pressure off my wrist because I can put pressure via the thumb on my D2 handle. And it simply fits me fish paws like a glove. 

The B32.. super stout, but maybe a bit much for NorCal just felt bigger like an RA. But man that trigger mech is pretty smooth and the test of time will truly tell the difference between these 2 guns.  The handle is very comfortable and tacky which makes for a nice solid grip but not as form fitting as the pathos.  Side line release nice and I like the ability to easily double wrap.  The muzzle is very similar to the pathos but allows for wrapping the line on either side. And side line release can be swapped super easy with an Allen wrench.   But I found, in my short time of using the gun,  that the muzzle piece which you use to wrap the line is a wee bit short and the line slides off easier than the pathos. But could have just been me.
  However,  the bands don’t flop around as much with the individual band holes where as my pathos muzzle can be a bit annoying.  Depending on size of bands.

All that being said the first 2 fish I shot from 5-8 feet were stoned.  Very powerful and very accurate.   

Overall they are both great guns. And time will only tell who has the better quality.  I’m in my 40’s so i don’t have much time;)

If anyone is interested I might be getting rid of this gun. Pm me if you are.

Offline TheKeeneroo

• Administrator
  • There's definitely a fish under THIS rock....
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2019, 07:12:40 AM »
FYI - Bamboo Reef in Monterey has meandros guns for sale.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo    Facebook - @Ekeener1
Century Free Diver, Level 1 Free Dive Cert, EANx
DOTY 2018 - 3rd Place
Bring the Ling 2018 - 1st Place (=P)

Offline kodama

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2019, 12:47:33 AM »
And also Red Triangle Spearfishing seems to carry Meandros spearguns.
Just noticed them hanging on their impressive gun wall in an Instagram clip.

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt