collapse

Author Topic: Putting on fins in the water while shore diving rocky North Coast  (Read 319 times)

Offline JRidley

Hello,
As a new spearo,  I have trouble putting on my fins while in the water and I really don't want to walk backwards over the rocks with my Mares Razor Carbon fins on.  I already tore the soles of my 5mm neoprene socks to pieces in just a few dives.  I have the Mako 3mm rock socks with kevlar soles ( https://www.makospearguns.com/Rock-Socks-with-Kevlar-Soles-p/mrsks.htm ) The trouble I have with these particular socks are the glued seams that make them particularly sticky when trying to insert my foot into the foot pockets of the fins.  I have no trouble with "regular" freedive socks without glued seams ( Example: https://www.makospearguns.com/Yamamoto-Freedive-Socks-3mm-5mm-High-Cut-p/myfs.htm )  I tried looking online for help with putting on fins while freediving in the rocky water, but found no information. Any advice would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Offline andrew37

Re: Putting on fins in the water while shore diving rocky North Coast
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2019, 07:23:06 PM »
Honestly it just takes practice. You’ll get used to it in time, and it’ll get easier as the foot pockets wear in more. If it’s really a problem for you, the Mares pockets are flexible enough that you can roll the heel down over itself, slide your foot in, and roll it back up. But IMO with gloves on that would be more trouble than it’s worth, and as your pockets get older they could tear more easily.

Offline Amsmosh

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2019, 10:07:40 PM »
Argos 4 mm booties. As stated earlier, practice.
God grant me the vision to dream of catching fish, the focus to visualize myself catching fish, the faith to believe that I will catch fish, and the wisdom to keep the freezer stocked with hamburgers and hot dogs.

Offline TheKeeneroo

• Administrator
  • There's definitely a fish under THIS rock....
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2019, 02:45:17 PM »
If you meant that you tore your socks up by walking on the rocks, I just bring a cheap pair of water shoes to wear over the socks, then I leave them on the rocks or put them on my float if I'm using one that dive. Getting your fins on quickly in swell is key so practice practice practice. I use the Pathos fireblade pockets and heat molded them to my foot. I don't have any issues with my foot slipping in, then I use fin stays once I'm ready to swim away from the rocks.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo    Facebook - @Ekeener1
Century Free Diver, Level 1 Free Dive Cert, EANx
DOTY 2018 - 3rd Place
Bring the Ling 2018 - 1st Place (=P)

Offline JRidley

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2019, 05:40:28 PM »
I appreciate the advice. I do have a pair of $15 Bass water shoes to use instead of walking over the rocks with my neoprene socks.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt