collapse

Author Topic: Pipe Gun Flashlight Mount  (Read 333 times)

Offline JRidley

Pipe Gun Flashlight Mount
« on: May 19, 2019, 05:31:01 PM »
Hello,
Has anyone utilized a flashlight mount on a pipe gun?  I have the Pathos Open Pro 75 and I was considering purchasing the Mako flashlight bracket: https://www.makospearguns.com/Speargun-Flashlight-Bracket-p/mflb.htm

I really do not like having one hand occupied with the flashlight and am looking for alternatives. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks All!

Offline Amsmosh

Re: Pipe Gun Flashlight Mount
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2019, 10:12:25 PM »
What is your issue with having a hand occupied by a flashlight? Is the flashlight secured to your wrist by a lanyard? If it is then it shouldn't be an issue. You can use your flashlight when you want to and drop it when you don't. As for the gun mount, that would slow down your ability to be an efficient hole hunter. With a handheld flashlight, you can search many holes without ever bringing your gun into the equation. With a gun mounted flashlight however, you would have to point your gun into every hole you wanted to look into. That would make it extremely inconvenient when searching the tightest nooks and crannies. Hope this helps!
God grant me the vision to dream of catching fish, the focus to visualize myself catching fish, the faith to believe that I will catch fish, and the wisdom to keep the freezer stocked with hamburgers and hot dogs.

Offline naturalSelection

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2019, 10:28:37 PM »
I agree with Amsmosh.

I used a gun mounted light for a short time, and went back to hand held with stretchy lanyard.

With a gun mounted light, you can't hit all the tight angles within a hole or cave.

I also prefer a push button light as opposed to twist activation, so you only need one hand to op. Then let it hang off a stretchy wrist lanyard if you need to work with the light hand.

Offline kodama

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2019, 04:48:00 AM »
I also agree with the above for the same reasons.

I use a stretchy lanyard that fits above the elbow. The length is perfectly adjusted that I can grab the light easily if necessary and when released the front of the light is behind my fingers (knuckles) so it is not in the way when I am dealing with fish or reloading.

I stole the idea from One of my buddies an avid competition spearfisherman. Also the stretchy lanyard makes releasing the light easy when it gets stuck in case of emergency.

Being stealthy is important so I can hold the light’s head between thumb and pink and still use the other fingers to move silently over the reef.
Hope this makes sense.
Works perfectly and fits my minimalistic gear approach really well.

Offline kodama

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2019, 04:52:14 AM »
You also have flash light holders like these but it seems very cumbersome and difficult to turn the light on and off easily.

Offline JRidley

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2019, 10:23:13 AM »
Understood. I will stick with the flashlight on the lanyard.  I just didn't like the way it sometimes is dangling from my wrist and I'm the way when using my hands.  The lanyard attached above the elbow is a possibility, but won't it be hanging a good 16" from attachment point down from the lower bicep area?

Offline kodama

Pipe Gun Flashlight Mount
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2019, 11:08:01 AM »
Here is a picture that may explain it better. It certainly doesn’t hang that low. And when you are at the surface dealing with fish or mono it is well out of the way hanging down from you elbow.
You can always try it to see wether it works for you.

I actually have to stretch the lanyard a bit while using it before that is exactly how I prefer it.

Offline TheKeeneroo

• Administrator
  • There's definitely a fish under THIS rock....
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2019, 02:41:23 PM »
I have a Light in Motion Gobe 800 and it came with the wrist mount (not as bulky as the one in the above comment). I thought I'd go to lanyard route, but I actually like it on my wrist. I turn it on right before I duck dive, and keep it on until i get back to the surface. I've never had an issue with battery life either.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo    Facebook - @Ekeener1
Century Free Diver, Level 1 Free Dive Cert, EANx
DOTY 2018 - 3rd Place
Bring the Ling 2018 - 1st Place (=P)

Offline JRidley

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2019, 05:37:25 PM »
Thank you again for the input. I am going to try the lanyard from above elbow idea since I didn't like lanyard on the wrist.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt