collapse

Author Topic: Bluewater gun/float needed [RENT]  (Read 427 times)

Offline ddesideria

Bluewater gun/float needed [RENT]
« on: May 13, 2019, 05:04:17 PM »
This summer I'm expecting to have my first bluewater experience (https://www.peaceboat.com).
The problem is that I don't have a suitable gun and float.
and spending another ~$500+ for a gear I may end up using just once is quite too much for me.
So I'm looking for an advice on where can I rent one for a good buck?

Offline Amsmosh

Re: Bluewater gun/float needed [RENT]
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 05:28:38 PM »
Check with Red Triangle Spearfishing Petaluma CA. I am pretty sure they will be able to help you out.
God grant me the vision to dream of catching fish, the focus to visualize myself catching fish, the faith to believe that I will catch fish, and the wisdom to keep the freezer stocked with hamburgers and hot dogs.

Offline naturalSelection

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 09:43:19 PM »
Blue Tuna is in ventura where we launch from. They have a good selection, and I believe they rent.

Offline TheKeeneroo

• Administrator
  • There's definitely a fish under THIS rock....
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 08:07:09 AM »
Do you know the size float you need? I have a 1 ATM soft float, 50' breakaway float line, and a 120 Riffe Euro with big aussie reel. That's what I used for yellow tail and White Sea Bass in Catalina last month.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo    Facebook - @Ekeener1
Century Free Diver, Level 1 Free Dive Cert, EANx
DOTY 2018 - 3rd Place
Bring the Ling 2018 - 1st Place (=P)

Offline divenfish

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2019, 09:41:05 AM »
Which trip are you on?
There could be other divers on this forum that may be on the same trip, borrowing/renting gear would likely be more manageable.

Offline ddesideria

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2019, 11:33:17 AM »
I'm going for a "3 Day Free-Diving Trip to Rosa / Cruz on Sun-Mon-Tue, June 16-17-18"

Offline TheKeeneroo

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2019, 01:16:09 PM »
I just sanded and oiled my riffe, it's basically brand new now. If you think a 120 and a 1ATM soft float are enough for what you'll be shooting, you're welcome to borrow them (but I'll need my floatline, so you might need to bring your own). I live in PG. Where are you located?
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward

Eric, Pacific Grove
DOTY 2018 - 3rd Place

Offline makemwearit

• Aquaholic
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2019, 10:47:00 PM »
I have quite a few float lines from 35-50' I previously used around NorCal which I basically just loan to buddies or keep in storage.  Also picked up a Dark Waters 80' white float line and 125' skinny float line.  As long as you can return them in a timely matter I'm willing to lend you one.  I won't be using them for the next 3 weeks or so due to travel and other commitments. If you go with an operation with fewer divers they'll typically have some gear for you to use (such as Brink Expeditions out of San Diego).

I'm based in SF and between Eric & I we should have you covered. I'd be willing to lend you the 80' or 125', just need it back shortly thereafter to get back in the water and for some SoCal/Catalina trips I have planned.

- Jeff
apneaddict
FII Level 1 Freediver

Offline divenfish

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2019, 12:04:34 PM »
I'm going for a "3 Day Free-Diving Trip to Rosa / Cruz on Sun-Mon-Tue, June 16-17-18"
It does sounds more like a WSB trip, floatline with kelp carrot, or gun with reel would work best in the kelp. 1 atm float would be fine outside kelp when looking for yellows
I have a 110 ft  red floatline, you can borrow, or keep it for something like $40-$50 if you want.
Where are you located?

Offline ddesideria

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2019, 04:16:05 PM »
Thanks all who replied with suggestions, really appreciate that. 
I've been silent and holding my breath (pun intended) for the past few days, and what I feared happened- USCIS scheduled my immigration interview on the same day I was supposed to be diving. What a luck..
That said, I no longer need a gun, and most likely will be trying to sell the ticket (at a reduced price). (if I won't be able to cancel it through peaceboat..).

Offline TheKeeneroo

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2019, 07:33:30 AM »
Thanks all who replied with suggestions, really appreciate that. 
I've been silent and holding my breath (pun intended) for the past few days, and what I feared happened- USCIS scheduled my immigration interview on the same day I was supposed to be diving. What a luck..
That said, I no longer need a gun, and most likely will be trying to sell the ticket (at a reduced price). (if I won't be able to cancel it through peaceboat..).

Sorry to hear that! But it sounds like you have bigger fish to fry in the mean time!

I know the PEACE's cancellation for day trips is 7 days but their multis are like a month. How much are you thinking about selling it for?

Eric, Pacific Grove
DOTY 2018 - 3rd Place

Offline ddesideria

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2019, 12:39:01 PM »
I know the PEACE's cancellation for day trips is 7 days but their multis are like a month. How much are you thinking about selling it for?
I paid $640 for it. If it goes for at least $500 I'd be happy. The trip is '3 Day Free-Diving Trip to Rosa / Cruz on Sun-Mon-Tue, June 16-17-18, 2019 at 2am'
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 12:40:48 PM by ddesideria »

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt