collapse

Author Topic: Looking for hard float recommendations  (Read 320 times)

Offline shoyuegg

Looking for hard float recommendations
« on: April 17, 2019, 01:18:15 AM »
I’m looking at the Rob Allen hard float and the Mako Hawaiian hard float. I like that the RA fits nicely in a sportube, but based on the dims of the Mako, it looks like it barely fits. I like that the Mako has handles...

Anyone have any experience with these floats, and recommend one or the other? Or any other recommendatons for hard floats? I’m open to others. I have an inflateable Mako float, and can’t stand the thing.

Oh and when / why would you get foam filled vs not foam filled?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 01:22:49 AM by shoyuegg »

Offline divenfish

Re: Looking for hard float recommendations
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2019, 10:46:34 AM »
Here is a Pelaj hardfloat on CL $35 (not mine), and also on spearboard ($30)- the guy is in SF.
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/spo/d/san-francisco-spearfishing-blue-water/6855850014.html

Re: Foam filled vs non filled - non filled can collapse if taken down deep - similar to your inflatable float.

Offline Adam415

• Freediver
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2019, 11:19:41 AM »
I have the RA 7L and like it. Its compact but still has enough float for yellowtail and reef fish.

Offline ryang85

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2019, 11:27:59 AM »
I’m looking at the Rob Allen hard float and the Mako Hawaiian hard float. I like that the RA fits nicely in a sportube, but based on the dims of the Mako, it looks like it barely fits. I like that the Mako has handles...

Anyone have any experience with these floats, and recommend one or the other? Or any other recommendatons for hard floats? I’m open to others. I have an inflateable Mako float, and can’t stand the thing.

Oh and when / why would you get foam filled vs not foam filled?

Thanks!
I have 2 RA 9L floats and they are great for most reef and baja species, they are a  pain to carry around in your sportube though if your bringing down a lot of  other gear, go with the foam filled forsure incase your shoot something and it dives it won't collapse instantly.   
If you want to chase tuna look at some good inflatables like a gannet,  they are expensive as hell but have a lifetime warranty as long as gannet stays in business.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Offline pclark

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2019, 12:58:58 PM »
I have both sizes of the Rob Allens and they work great.  Never touched the Mako one but I'd bet its fine too just bigger.  Don't really see too much of an advantage of the handles though, I have always held the floatline, not the float.  And foam filled for sure, never know when you might see a big one that could take it down. 

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt