collapse

Author Topic: Two shark attacks in two days CA  (Read 3061 times)

Offline Reggae Shark

Re: Two shark attacks in two days CA
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2019, 04:32:16 PM »
What if I just only dive with fatter people? Clearly they'll want the bigger meal right?

For me, shark shied= peace of mind while diving and that is not something I can put a price on. If top scientists told me wearing a piece of lettuce tied around my ankle works than I would wear it.

Peace of mind = better diving, I know if I am in a spookey area my dive times are all off. You ever get used to the shock or just eventually learn to dive without being shocked

Being shocked is no longer an issue for me.

Parviz mentioned to me a method he uses where he does get shocked anymore too. I can't remember what he said but if anyone has a question or problem getting shocked he will happily give advice on it.

he puts a small loop of string on his fin and runs the leash through it. I have asked him to send me some pictures of his set up  and when I get them I will post for you all.

Ever get that pic???

Offline ryang85

« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2019, 08:25:09 PM »

Offline the_derek

« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2019, 09:42:43 PM »
https://www.independent.co.uk/environment/nature/great-white-sharks-camera-footage-watch-kelp-forests-hunting-seals-a8851466.html

It was on the internet so it must be true.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Looked like when the shark got deep into the thick stuff it turned around and went back to more open areas.
Death is very often referred to as a good career move.

-Buddy Holly

Insta  @_the_derek_

Offline ryang85

« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2019, 10:02:21 PM »
https://www.independent.co.uk/environment/nature/great-white-sharks-camera-footage-watch-kelp-forests-hunting-seals-a8851466.html

Looked like when the shark got deep into the thick stuff it turned around and went back to more open areas.
Thats the  most effective way to hunt in the bars and in the water.

Offline TheKeeneroo

• Administrator
  • There's definitely a fish under THIS rock....
« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2019, 10:57:26 AM »

YOU  BEAT ME TO IT! =P I totally had this convo in mind when I saw that link yesterday.

Thats the  most effective way to hunt in the bars and in the water.

"and in the bars" bahahahahaha
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo    Facebook - @Ekeener1
Century Free diver, Level 1 Free Dive Cert, EANx
DOTY 2018 - 3rd Place
Bring the Ling 2018 - 1st Place (=P)

Offline Shark Slayer

• Every Day is a Good Day
« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2019, 12:36:28 PM »

[/quote]

Looked to me like he enjoys swimming through it.   Kinda like he uses it as a slalom course.

Offline the_derek

« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2019, 11:31:53 AM »

Looked to me like he enjoys swimming through it.   Kinda like he uses it as a slalom course.
[/quote]

The video shows that once the shark gets kelp on him he bolts out of there. He even drops his camera he hates it so much. So I still stand by my opinion that sharks hate kelp, and kelp is just like a shark shield.
Death is very often referred to as a good career move.

-Buddy Holly

Insta  @_the_derek_

Offline mengsoto

« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2019, 11:36:26 AM »
I was hoping it was a small younger GWS, since I constantly tell myself the kelp is fine ;) , but if you read their paper below they tagged 9-12 footers

https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/10.1098/rsbl.2019.0085

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2019, 02:12:51 PM »

The video shows that once the shark gets kelp on him he bolts out of there. He even drops his camera he hates it so much. So I still stand by my opinion that sharks hate kelp, and kelp is just like a shark shield.
[/quote]

I’ll stand by my opinion that kelp is simply another environment in a sharks natural habitat where it hunts. In fact it is a more target rich environment than open water, and one in which I have seen several dead seals.

I was just reading that previous studies may be erroneous as to the White Shark’s response to electrical stimuli. It is now thought that they are much less sensitive to electrical fields than other sharks. You may be correct, kelp may be just as effective a deterrent as a shark shield, or ineffective as the case may be.

There seems to be a lot of opinions (or should we more accurately call it hope) about a creature that almost none of us have seen and that none of us know anything about.

Either way it scarcely matters since there is little chance of being attacked by a White Shark, and the chance of encountering one is about equal to finding a kelp bed large enough to hide in. If believing that kelp or a device will save you, stay in the weeds with a shark shield. Peace of mind is more important than reality. ;)

Offline MinnowHunter

• I like the rub. Feel the burn
« Reply #54 on: April 06, 2019, 03:47:01 PM »

"I’ll stand by my opinion that kelp is simply another environment in a sharks natural habitat where it hunts. In fact it is a more target rich environment than open water, and one in which I have seen several dead seals."

I see this as more evidence See if the sharks would have killed the seals in the open water he would eat all of it and you wouldnt find dead, another piece of evidence a GWS wont even finish his meal or chase wounded seals if happens to go into the kelp.

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: April 06, 2019, 06:05:29 PM »

"I’ll stand by my opinion that kelp is simply another environment in a sharks natural habitat where it hunts. In fact it is a more target rich environment than open water, and one in which I have seen several dead seals."

I see this as more evidence See if the sharks would have killed the seals in the open water he would eat all of it and you wouldnt find dead, another piece of evidence a GWS wont even finish his meal or chase wounded seals if happens to go into the kelp.

You see this as more evidence?  Lol. You never saw them. Two were headless. To me it’s an indication that the sharks were either acting territorial or just killing for practice or enjoyment. Unless you think a headless seal can ditch a shark. But, like I said, your peace of mind is more important than reality.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 06:25:19 PM by Rob102 »

Offline kodama

« Reply #56 on: April 06, 2019, 10:19:50 PM »
Most wild creatures are unpredictable in their behavior and all we can make is assumptions it seems to me.
The fact is that we know for certain that sharks dwell in the kelp.

The only way to avoid them with certainty is to stay on land. After what we have seen there is no reason to assume that you would be save inside the kelp from a potential attack.

Actually this could give us more peace of mind knowing that we just have to accept that we are sharing the ocean with these magnificent and mysterious creatures. All we are is a guest in their territory.

Offline charlierobinton

« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2019, 11:33:47 AM »
Most creatures feel more secure in a hostile environment when there is structure surrounding them, humans included. It is more instinctual/psychological than logical sometimes. There have been studies done on largemouth bass that showed when the fish were kept in an empty aquarium they all held together in one corner. When a small rock was added they all held next to the rock even though it was not big enough to actually provide them with shelter. One side of the aquarium was painted black, and guess what, they all moved to that side of the aquarium. It may be silly to assume you will be safer in the kelp than in open water, but it is also our instinct as living organisms to gravitate to cover, whether or not it is logical.

Offline ryang85

« Reply #58 on: April 07, 2019, 12:02:42 PM »
Most creatures feel more secure in a hostile environment when there is structure surrounding them, humans included. It is more instinctual/psychological than logical sometimes. There have been studies done on largemouth bass that showed when the fish were kept in an empty aquarium they all held together in one corner. When a small rock was added they all held next to the rock even though it was not big enough to actually provide them with shelter. One side of the aquarium was painted black, and guess what, they all moved to that side of the aquarium. It may be silly to assume you will be safer in the kelp than in open water, but it is also our instinct as living organisms to gravitate to cover, whether or not it is logical.
I think this is the true reason we all like kelp compared to open water.  If you've ever dove 50 down onto flat sand with  no rocks in sight its a lot sharkier feeling  compared  to dropping into massive rockpiles and structure. 
Last year i was diving patties offshore socal and there were reports of 2 sharks within a few miles of us that morning of the patties we were on. I was the only person in the water so i did feel a little on edge. Everytime  I got in the water i would instantly make a straight  line to the patty. I knew i was just as exposed  but the little ball of kelp did calm my nerves a lot.  My breath holds were almost double when in had the patty in sight under  water compared  to when I would stray away from it.

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt