collapse

Author Topic: Ocean Cove Urchin removal event SAT, MAY 18 - MAY 19 Ocean Cove May 2019  (Read 880 times)

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
Ocean Cove Urchin removal event SAT, MAY 18 - MAY 19 Ocean Cove May 2019
dive briefing will be 8am Saturday in the parking lot.  The campground is putting us in a group site so let them know you're with the urchin removal event. If you plan on diving you will need a fishing license, all other volunteers do not

For more info go tot he FB page at
https://www.facebook.com/events/489512344914205/?active_tab=discussion
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

Offline TheKeeneroo

• Administrator
  • There's definitely a fish under THIS rock....
CHECK OUT THESE STATS!!! I just chatted with Josh Russo (Watermen's Alliance President and founder of these events) yesterday. He gave me the following stats and info:

"We've removed 58 tons of urchin from 5 areas in Sonoma and Mendocino so far. Watermen's Alliance raised 130K last year and had 9 commercial boats working from January to August any day that was diveable. We hosted 6 recreational events so far. next one is May 18-19 at Ocean Cove.  DFW and Reef Check surveys have confirmed a noticeable difference in areas where we've worked.  Divers at our Caspar event were excited to see kelp coming back and healthy abalone."
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo    Facebook - @Ekeener1
Century Free diver, Level 1 Free Dive Cert, EANx
DOTY 2018 - 3rd Place
Bring the Ling 2018 - 1st Place (=P)

Offline SilverTaco

I’ll be there

Offline Plesios

Sweet can't wait! Great stats!!!

Offline JRidley

Looking forward to this event!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Offline Shark Slayer

• Every Day is a Good Day
Are we going to be able to refill dive tanks there.

Offline TheKeeneroo

• Administrator
  • There's definitely a fish under THIS rock....
I can say with almost certainty, yes! They have had take refills at every event so far.

And if you didn't see it on the facebook group page, The Watermens Alliance (Josh Russo) will be featured on PBS for these events! doing big things! bam!
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo    Facebook - @Ekeener1
Century Free diver, Level 1 Free Dive Cert, EANx
DOTY 2018 - 3rd Place
Bring the Ling 2018 - 1st Place (=P)

Offline wildpigkiller

I am a newbie to the NCUH board...this is my first post.   After a lifetime of harvesting on the north coast I am excited to have the opportunity to "give back " at the urchin removal event.   I'll be tanking, and I'm wondering what specialized gear I should show up with to be an efficient member of the team.   collection bags ? lift gear ?  rakes ?  I got some input from Parvis but I thought by putting it out to the board  I might get some good tips.

Offline pclark

I am a newbie to the NCUH board...this is my first post.   After a lifetime of harvesting on the north coast I am excited to have the opportunity to "give back " at the urchin removal event.   I'll be tanking, and I'm wondering what specialized gear I should show up with to be an efficient member of the team.   collection bags ? lift gear ?  rakes ?  I got some input from Parvis but I thought by putting it out to the board  I might get some good tips.

don't need collection bags. Lift gear if you have it but don't think its must.  Most scuba divers would fill a couple bags and take them to the surface hand them off get empty bags and go back down.  In 15' of water or so.

Some people go with a rake, I find my hand is way faster.  But I coat my gloves with 3M 5200, makes them bomb proof.  Just don't coat both sides of your finger just the bottom half, and give them 3 days to dry.  Fastest way to get the urchin is to hold open the game bag and rake up the rock with it, scraping them off and right into the bag. 

I wouldn't count on there being tank refills there unless Josh has said so.  I don't think there has been any at the last couple events.  I'd bring as many as you could use while your there. 

And if your at all comfortable freediving I would recommend trying it for these events.  Shore diving with scuba stuff is just too much of a pain in the ass, and you can still clean up freediving. For all these events I have dove in 10' of water or less, maybe some 15'.   If you find a good patch you can fill a bag in 5 or 6 drops. 

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt