collapse

Author Topic: Gyotaku + Upcoming Spearo Competition  (Read 482 times)

Online TheKeeneroo

• Administrator
  • There's definitely a fish under THIS rock....
Gyotaku + Upcoming Spearo Competition
« on: March 25, 2019, 12:32:33 PM »
I am in the early stages of planning a spearfishing competition for later this year. It's purpose will be to promote sustainability and making use of more of the meat than just the fillets (i.e. belly, collar, cheeks, etc) and all proceeds will be going toward a local non-profit. We already have sponsors and interest in the unique structure of the competition. I'll make another post about that once we have the details ironed out. In the mean time, I am interested in having a gyotaku station set up for the competitors (or guests) to partake in. I have 0 experience with gyotaku but have seen pics of some of the past events that had them.

A couple questions for those with experience in the art or in facilitating the activity at an event:

1) Are people usually interested in doing it, if it is available?
2) How much would be a good fee (included in the entrance fee or separately) per person to cover expenses for the paper, paint and supplies?
3) Depending on the date, can you recommend someone that might be willing to help people on the day of the event (aka man the booth)?
4) How much more difficult is it to do on a shirt vs the right paper?
5) Any words of advice?

P.S. If you're into kayak fishing and big potlucks, you should come camp at Barryessa this weekend for the DOTY/AOTY awards and Fish n Chill Saturday morning.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo    Facebook - @Ekeener1
Century Free diver, Level 1 Free Dive Cert, EANx
DOTY 2018 - 3rd Place
Bring the Ling 2018 - 1st Place (=P)

Offline Chaw III

Re: Gyotaku + Upcoming Spearo Competition
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 08:57:50 PM »
I've been dabbling a bit in the fish printing for a little bit now, I'm at the point with each print I learn something new and get better each time. It's a great extension of the hobby and a perfect way to hang a memory on the wall. I'll just share a bit of what I've learned so far, and maybe it'll give some insight to how it can incorporate into a dive event.

Supplies:
1. Water soluble nontoxic washable children's paint does the trick. You can eat the fish afterwards (wash it off), and it mixes with the fish that isn't perfectly dry. I bought Yellow, Black, brown, red, blue and white. IMO only use red for a vermilion, and black for everything else, you need the contrast that black gives you, other colors just don't come out as nice. Printing uses very little paint so this isn't much of a cost consideration.

2. Paper: This is the hardest to source and is the most expensive aspect to this hobby. Many people will tell you "Use rice paper" but that term is pretty broad. In a perfect world you have a piece of paper that is big enough for the fish, is flexible (malleable) to bend around the shape of the fish and holds up against moisture. I found a small shop that imports all sorts of junk from china and they have an extensive selection of large sheets of all sorts of paper perfect for printing. I go by feel, many papers at this shop are unnamed, 6$ a sheet for something like 3'x2'. That shop is out of your area and a gold mine so I'm not telling exactly where :P. I would look around at the local arts and crafts shops in the area and pick their minds. Avoid buying large amounts on amazon without testing a bit out first.

3. LOTS of paper towels to dry the fish off somewhat. Get all the cracks and creases.

4. Paint burses/sponges. It takes experience knowing exactly how much paint to apply. Apply too much you'll pick up very little small detail, too little you'll have a too little contrast. Some advice, use a much thinner coat than you think you need for your first attempt and have a few pieces of paper. You don't want to prep everything only for something to go wrong on your only piece. 

5. Optional: Clay, PlaydoughR maybe? You can support the backsides of fins to keep things pinned open and supported. This is a prep thing that I think is worth it if you have the time and patience, probably not for a meet-up competition gig.

Miscellaneous tips:
Start the fish rub down the center of the fish then work your way to the edges. TIP!: Once paper has touched the fish it stays on the fish and that part of the fish, movement will cause smears on the print! We are trying to take a 3d thing and make it 2d, it is a art trying to apply the paper perfectly to all the folds of a fish. The flatter the fish the better, try a flat perch first, and a round Cabezon last, this gives you a feel about how going from 3d to 2d distorts things. Correcting and understanding the distortion factor takes time and practice to wrap your mind around. If you paint exactly half the fish the end print will look much fatter than in real life, to correct this I don't paint all the way down the belly and not all the way across the head. This may be a hard concept to understand, certainly is to write! To help, look at the fish laying on its side, and center you head with the center of the fish, look with your eye balls! not moving your position to cheat! If you look at the fishes’ head, what is the horizontal distance to edge of the fishes forehead? This may not make any sense, so let me give an example. Take a lingcod for example, the distance from the top of his eye to the center of his forehead may be say 2 inches, on that fish I would paint probably some where up to a quarter inch past his eye to correct for the 3d to 2d effect. Almost forgot, cut the eyeballs out and paint them later, this is where you add your own unique style!

With all that being said I can try address some of the questions relating to a booth at an event.
1. Yes! I'm sure people would love to give it a try, especially if they've always wanted to but didn't want to source all the materials before knowing if they liked it or not.

2. Idk 20$? Something to cover the cost of the paper at least and some to raise money.

3. Someone that knows how to do it needs to be there to help, no way around it IMHO. I won't be down. :-X

4. I've never done cloth before, I'm sure my washable paint wouldn't handle the wash very well :P.

5. Someone that has the basic knowledge and patience needs to run the booth, this will make or break it.

Shoot some questions and I'll try to answer them. I hope it gives some insight into the hobby and how it may be applied to an event.

Sound like a great concept for a competition! 

A few pics of fish I thought turned out good. Good luck!

Offline Duckfoot

• Jack Shaw Sculpture
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2019, 09:56:51 AM »
Chaw III -- Nice work!
If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea.  –Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Online TheKeeneroo

• Administrator
  • There's definitely a fish under THIS rock....
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2019, 08:41:44 AM »
I really appreciate the write up and info. I'm talking with a gal (Brandi) that runs a Gyotaku extravaganza for another event. She uses cloth paint and they come out pretty good and it wont wash off in the laundry.

I'm looking forward to giving it a shot though!
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo    Facebook - @Ekeener1
Century Free diver, Level 1 Free Dive Cert, EANx
DOTY 2018 - 3rd Place
Bring the Ling 2018 - 1st Place (=P)

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt