collapse

Author Topic: Yazbeck 7mm wetsuit  (Read 976 times)

Offline ASteve

• A Steve Cali Outdoor Photography
Yazbeck 7mm wetsuit
« on: April 02, 2010, 05:24:14 PM »
This years ab opener I got a chance to dive in my new suit a few times (Thursday and today).  I love the fit, the ease to put on and such, but after an hour in the water I am hot as H#LL!  I was diving up north on the beautiful Sonoma Cost to boot where this should be 7mm territory.  I am a lean guy to boot.

For the past 30 years or so I have been used to diving in my surfing wetsuit with a surfing spring suit underneath.  I have been using this set up the past 30 years with cold being a problem after about a couple of hours.  So, this is a first for me with a 7mm.  Does anyone else have this problem with a 7mm up north or...???  Should I have purchased a 5mm suit?

Also, With this new suit I had to change my weight belt from 17 pounds to 21 pounds and could use another 5lbs or so to stay down.  I am 160lbs 5' 10".  I thought the 10% rule would fit but boy was I wrong...what does everyone else use for weight with these suits?

I've been diving many years and grew up surfing my entire life but I am a newbie when it comes to the tech in diving gear...

Thanks for any insight to these questions...

SC 

yakfisher

Re: Yazbeck 7mm wetsuit
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 05:34:18 PM »
Just pull the top away from your body at the waist for a split second and you will get all the cooling down you would want.

rangair94

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 05:36:53 PM »
I got a 5mm and a 7mm. Thank you super sale at The Freedive Shop :icon_thumright: I use the 7 mil in the winter time and 5 mil when it gets warmer out. I think the 10% rule is just ballpark. Really it just comes down to how you are diving. If you are staying shallower you will need more weight because you are not compressing your suit. I know some people like to sink while others like to swim down. You will just have to figure out what you like.

rangair94

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 05:38:21 PM »
Just pull the top away from your body at the waist for a split second and you will get all the cooling down you would want.

I pull my suit out at my face.

Offline ASteve

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 05:48:09 PM »
I didn't think about the deeper ya go thing (compressing suit)...I only have experience to 15' and really wanting to change that.  So, like you said it's something I need to figure out.  Got that covered now...thanks!

I did open my hood on the side to let water in from the top to cool, but that lasted a minute and I was right back to where I started...hot...I'll try the full water flow thingie with letting in some water from my suit waist area.

Thanks guys for your insight! 

SC

Offline sydwayz04

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 06:33:38 PM »
i love my yazbek, but yes they are hot, its not all to do with it being 7mm, i think it has to do with the liner they put in it, the silver stuff. i constantly half to pull my hood to let water in to, also try around your jacket.

as far as weight goes, nobody belives me but i dive with 46 to 48 pounds of lead.. and yes i know i am fat and fat is more bouyent than musle but thoes yazbeks are super bouyent. yes the deeper you go the less you need, but it has never effected, i am never gonna hit 60 feet so not my worries, atleast for now

just be carefull intering and exiting the water, there should be knee pads on there, but there is not, i know of someone who ripped it there first time out only a hour into there dive, (rob) lol.. so just watch it !
one breath at a time....

Offline Brandon Turknett

• RATHERBDIVING
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 10:34:47 PM »
iiim about 175 , dive in a yaz 7mm and i feel cumfy with about 24 punds. everyone is different so play with it a bit.
Divers go deeper, and stay down longer

Joe Mag

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 10:57:38 PM »
yah it really varies depending on your body type and how you dive. im 6'1" 270lbs. and i have a picasso ghost 7mm. i start to sink at about 20ft. and i use 28lbs of lead.

Offline JASON HOLLIDAY

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2010, 09:09:10 AM »
 Im rockin a 7mm Picasso ghost aswell and im around 170 and 22lbs is perfect for me at almost any depth. I started at 20lbs ant that was good for 20-30' but the 2 extra pounds help in shallower water.
Jason Holliday
Fishing pole's are over rated..........

Offline NorCal DiverDave

• Fish on
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/NCUWHdiverdave
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2010, 12:55:17 PM »
Are these open cell or closed cell suits that are warmer?

Offline el_pedorro

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2010, 01:12:13 PM »
,,,Does anyone else have this problem with a 7mm up north or...???...what does everyone else use for weight with these suits?

I'm about the same size as you and dive in a custom Elios 7mm suit using 17lbs of lead. I'm neutral at 30ft. and get so cold after a couple of hours of diving at depth that I think I'll move up to 9mm for my next suit.

If you start diving deeper (you'll want to take the lead back off), I guarantee you'll cool down. At 50ft your 7mm will compress to less than 3mm...and you'll be back to shivering.

Offline ASteve

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2010, 03:28:57 PM »
I'm neutral at 30ft. and get so cold after a couple of hours of diving at depth that I think I'll move up to 9mm for my next suit.

If you start diving deeper (you'll want to take the lead back off), I guarantee you'll cool down. At 50ft your 7mm will compress to less than 3mm...and you'll be back to shivering.

Man...I'm have never had the opportunity to dive further than 15'.  Just thinking of 30'-50' gives me shivers down my spine....but that is this years goal...not 30'-50 but further than 15'.

Thanks all to have replied.  I got it covered now...

SC

Offline speargearshop

• Sven Anderson Owner- speargearshop.com
    • speargearshop - high performance spearfishing hardware and lifestyle clothing
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2010, 08:11:43 AM »
Nice to have to complain about being too warm, huh?

The rubber that your suit and most "freediving" suits is very full of bubbles introduced in the manufacturing, it's what gives the rubber the thickness, flexibility and compressibility.  It also means you have to counter the bouyancy with lead.  These suits will compress over time and you get to pull a few off your belt. 

I'm 6-3 215lbs, single, NS/ND and love long walks on the beach  and with a new 7 mil, size 58/60 suit I have to wear 24 pounds of lead.  By the end of the season I'm down to 21-20 lbs, and this is also depending on the depths and type of diving. 

Some of the clowns, er, members here just work the shallows where the swell plays Hell on us and so we go heavy.  Just because I like the peace and quiet, that'll be me waaay the hell out there in 50+ feet where the depth helps the weight issue.

As to your too warm dilemma, poke a couple 1/8" holes in the top of your hood, it'll act as a vent.  The other way to go is to get a 5mil jacket and keep the 7 mil bottoms.

And use SuitSlip.

Glaucus

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2010, 02:53:30 PM »
I'm 185 and use 17 lbs of weight, neutral at about 25'.   I used to dive in an old surf suit with 5lbs... l :nono:  Froze my balls off everytime out.

I find that I'm hot or cold on any given day depending on conditions and my activity level.  If I'm being extremely efficient and it's December I've actually been a little cold.  Switch to August and I'm diving like an idiot (hitting bottom every two minutes and kicking from spot to spot in between) I'm so hot I've felt a litte sick.

rangair94

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2010, 05:05:23 PM »
Are these open cell or closed cell suits that are warmer?

Open cell suits are warmer. The unlined side sticks to your skin keeping water from moving through the suit.

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt