collapse

Author Topic: Getting aftermarket tinting on dive masks?  (Read 755 times)

Offline Zpearo

Getting aftermarket tinting on dive masks?
« on: January 29, 2019, 07:13:26 PM »
I think I finally found a low volume mask that:
1. Doesn't leak (for me)
2. Fits my big nose enough for me to still clear
3. Sits far enough from my stupid long eyelashes so I'm not blinking against the inside of the lens

So I'm quite excited. However, the mask isn't offered with tinted lenses, and I prefer them. Anyone have advice on if I could send them in somewhere to get a tint applied, and how much that would cost?

Offline TheKeeneroo

• Administrator
  • There's definitely a fish under THIS rock....
Re: Getting aftermarket tinting on dive masks?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2019, 09:05:10 AM »
I put the word out to a few groups on Fbook to see if there were any replies. Most people were questioning why you wanted darker lenses hahah. Obviously you want colored tint like yellow or red (although there are good arguments on both sides of the debate as to whether tint actually works... I've never tried tinted so I have no buy in on either). Here are a couple of the replies that had links and not just opinions  :P

https://www.diverightinscuba.com/max-vision-ultra-hd-mask

https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.onlinescuba.com%2FXS-Scuba-Switch-Mask-Lens-Filters-P22911.aspx%3FOptions%3D58303%26gclid%3DCjwKCAiAs8XiBRAGEiwAFyQ-erIR-fhAq4QJZqHbXptp8oNlu49IHMObKYX5wq2Eir3iWj_v5bRvHBoC-zAQAvD_BwE%26fbclid%3DIwAR3yMQWTo7g7yi75GxqjjLVrEqIVzJohmR1V6kGgR_as5fLdU0XHJmLZ3NI&h=AT3lswlAAieMNo0Od7V1DrJA-e_xwvVvMrtutGW6Mk29liVkewJ6fWujrLh8lCH-r4dg2_2FFMz9_PkiOzWsngTt99-cuD8yU5ZeKgdlqkYk204GpgZbVlcjA4pDV7ez
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo    Facebook - @Ekeener1
Century Free diver, Level 1 Free Dive Cert, EANx
DOTY 2018 - 3rd Place
Bring the Ling 2018 - 1st Place (=P)

Offline charlierobinton

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2019, 11:14:20 AM »
This may or may not be very helpful, but I also have a lot of trouble fitting masks and after trying a ton I found the Rob Allen Cubera mask which is tinted and also fairly inexpensive. The staff at the Freedive Shop in Sac where I frequent told me it fits almost everyone who tries it because of the way the skirt is shaped. I wouldn't call it a super low volume mask but it is low volume compared to most of whats out there. I've been diving with mine since August now and like it enough that I bought another.

Just in case you haven't actually purchased your new mask yet, you may want to try that one!

Offline Zpearo

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2019, 11:26:27 AM »
I put the word out to a few groups on Fbook to see if there were any replies. Most people were questioning why you wanted darker lenses hahah. Obviously you want colored tint like yellow or red (although there are good arguments on both sides of the debate as to whether tint actually works... I've never tried tinted so I have no buy in on either). Here are a couple of the replies that had links and not just opinions  :P

Thanks for the links (the diverightinscuba link gave me a 404 error, but I looked up the "Max vision ultra HD mask" elsewhere). Those filters are an interesting idea, but I doubt they'd fit onto masks other than the one they are designed for? As for the Max vision ultra HD mask... I know there are plenty of tinted masks out there, but the issue is most masks don't fit me right.

This may or may not be very helpful, but I also have a lot of trouble fitting masks and after trying a ton I found the Rob Allen Cubera mask which is tinted and also fairly inexpensive. The staff at the Freedive Shop in Sac where I frequent told me it fits almost everyone who tries it because of the way the skirt is shaped. I wouldn't call it a super low volume mask but it is low volume compared to most of whats out there. I've been diving with mine since August now and like it enough that I bought another.

Just in case you haven't actually purchased your new mask yet, you may want to try that one!

Yeah I had actually tried the Cubera and it fit me wonderfully, but I couldn't get it to stop fogging up. I sold it to a new dive buddy who didn't have issues with it fogging on him. I had tried a lighter and toothpaste on it several times, but it still fogged, so I decided it was a mask issue somehow. Jason at the freedive shop mentioned to me earlier this week that he uses a butane torch, so I'm thinking of buying another Cubera and trying the torch instead of just a lighter to see if the higher heat will help. But the other mask I've found is super-super low volume and so I'd still be interested in getting it tinted if I could, versus just getting Cuberas.

Offline charlierobinton

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2019, 12:25:03 PM »
Right on. I have had no fogging issues with mine, but I spent like a solid 1/2 hour scrubbing it with toothpaste before going out for the first time. The advice I got was "scrub it until you think you've got it all, then do it again, and when you are done do it once more for good measure" lol.

Offline Sir Rob IV

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2019, 01:07:51 PM »
Just curious why do you like the tinted masks? Sun glare at the surface? Just curious, I was taught to avoid them, that way when surfacing your partner can see your eyes for black out or any problems.

Offline Zpearo

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2019, 01:56:26 PM »
Just curious why do you like the tinted masks? Sun glare at the surface? Just curious, I was taught to avoid them, that way when surfacing your partner can see your eyes for black out or any problems.

Yes, I mainly like it for reducing sun brightness/glare at the surface. Last weekend with the clear mask I got a bad headache on the paddle out from sun glare and have never had that problem with a tinted mask. I also feel like the amber tint does help increase contrast underwater and, except for the worst visibility conditions, I don't mind a bit of darkening (especially since I always dive with a light in norcal).

Offline charlierobinton

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2019, 02:19:59 PM »
I am indifferent to the tint. To me it was just the mask model that fit the best happened to also be tinted. The Cubera is pretty light tint. You can actually see through well enough from the outside to still look through into someone's eyes if you needed to.

Offline TheKeeneroo

• Administrator
  • There's definitely a fish under THIS rock....
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2019, 03:20:18 PM »

Last weekend with the clear mask I got a bad headache on the paddle out from sun glare and have never had that problem with a tinted mask.

Surface swim? I read that as if you're kayaking with your mask on.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo    Facebook - @Ekeener1
Century Free diver, Level 1 Free Dive Cert, EANx
DOTY 2018 - 3rd Place
Bring the Ling 2018 - 1st Place (=P)

Offline Zpearo

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2019, 03:26:41 PM »
Surface swim? I read that as if you're kayaking with your mask on.

Surface swim, as in swimming on the surface to the spot. I had a Banks board for a shore dive that day, not a kayak. So some swimming while propped up on the board, some swimming with my face in the water, and some swimming on my back to use different leg muscles for the long swim.

Offline makemwearit

• Aquaholic
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2019, 09:32:23 PM »
Zpearo - what is the non-tined mask you found?

I use and prefer a tinted lense for the UV protection, but it's not a dealbreaker.  I have trouble finding masks that fit my face well and don't leak.  I've yet to try the Cubera, Alien, or Mako Mini... to date the best fit I've found is the SeaDive brand and they still leak sometimes.
apneaddict
FII Level 1 Freediver

Offline Zpearo

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2019, 11:29:16 PM »
Zpearo - what is the non-tined mask you found?

I use and prefer a tinted lense for the UV protection, but it's not a dealbreaker.  I have trouble finding masks that fit my face well and don't leak.  I've yet to try the Cubera, Alien, or Mako Mini... to date the best fit I've found is the SeaDive brand and they still leak sometimes.

It was a cheapy mask off amazon that isn't available anymore, but I'm 95% sure this is the same product under a different name:
https://smile.amazon.com/OMGear-Frameless-Freediving-Spearfishing-Snorkeling/dp/B079N4DF9N/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1549005630&sr=8-8&keywords=freediving+mask

The high-volume mask that I started diving with and love everything about (except for the fact that it's high volume) is a SeaDive EagleEye. The tint is great, it never fogs, and it never leaks (for my face). I bought a low-volume SeaDive, but my nose is too big and fills the entire nose pocket, preventing me from equalizing. If you haven't tried the Cubera, I'd recommend it in terms of fit... seems pretty versatile. I had terrible fogging problems but I'll give it another go.

Offline Sir Rob IV

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2019, 08:35:10 AM »

Yes, I mainly like it for reducing sun brightness/glare at the surface. Last weekend with the clear mask I got a bad headache on the paddle out from sun glare and have never had that problem with a tinted mask. I also feel like the amber tint does help increase contrast underwater and, except for the worst visibility conditions, I don't mind a bit of darkening (especially since I always dive with a light in norcal).

You paddle out with your mask on?

Offline Zpearo

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2019, 09:02:33 AM »

While I’m paddling at a new spot, I often keep my face in the water to look for structure, schools of fish, etc on my swim out to where I’m planning to dive. If I see something that looks good, I stop and dive it.

If I pull up onto the banks board or flip to swim on my back, I still tend to stick my head back in for a look every 30 seconds or a minute. At that point, I usually just leave my mask in place (especially if it’s tinted, since it helps block sun glare). If I’m at a spot I’m familiar with and I know exactly where I’m going, it’s a different story.

Offline the_derek

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2019, 09:11:30 AM »

I wear mine on the drive out, that way people see how cool I look.
Death is very often referred to as a good career move.

-Buddy Holly

Insta  @_the_derek_

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt