collapse

Author Topic: Speargun builders- willing to sell a blank?  (Read 571 times)

Offline charlierobinton

Speargun builders- willing to sell a blank?
« on: January 22, 2019, 10:51:34 AM »
Hello to all the gun builders out there. I'm looking into building my first gun, and I have most of the tools to do it besides the big stuff (table saw, planer etc.) that would be needed to cut and straighten the blank. So, I'm wondering if I could get around that this time by finding a blank that is already made. I found some on sale at bluetunaspearfishing.com, but when I called he said he didn't know when he'd be getting them back in stock. Neptonics also sells them from time to time but when I called it was the same story.

So I'm wondering if there are any builders on here that might have a blank laying around you would be willing to part with? I am looking to build a rear-handled gun in the 48"-55" range.

Thanks!

Charlie

Offline Mike n

• MAN Mid-Handles
Re: Speargun builders- willing to sell a blank?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2019, 10:55:11 AM »
Charlie,

I don't have any blanks laying around, but I have a bunch of material ready to be used.  I only make blanks for guns that will be epoxy coated, though.

Let me know the specs and I'll see what I can come up with; final dimensions and wood type(s).  Based on that I can estimate a price.

Mike

Offline divenfish

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2019, 11:51:27 AM »
Charlie, may want to try searching on spearboard

Offline charlierobinton

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2019, 02:19:31 PM »
Hey Mike,

Thanks for responding! I think my final gun length will be 55" in total, so a completed blank 55"L x 3"W x 2"H or thereabouts would do what I need. Teak would be my wood of choice.

I was thinking about an oil finish for the gun, but I didn't know that the blank played a role in how the gun will be finished. What's the difference between a blank made for an oil finish v.s. one that will be epoxied?

Thanks,

Charlie

Offline Mike n

• MAN Mid-Handles
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2019, 02:27:30 PM »
Water tight integrity to prevent delamination is the primary concern.

I don't have any teak, sorry. 

Good luck with your search.

MN

Offline charlierobinton

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2019, 02:42:08 PM »
Right on Mike, thanks anyways!

Offline Mike n

• MAN Mid-Handles
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2019, 03:03:28 PM »
FYI:  You will need around 5 board feet for that size blank, 6 horizontal lams.  Teak was around $30/BF at my local supplier the last time I checked, which was a long time ago.  Be sure to request enough extra wood to cover the lead, teak is very buoyant and needs lots of lead for ballast.

MN

Offline charlierobinton

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2019, 05:16:04 PM »
Thanks for the advice Mike. I was able to find a maker space near me that has the tools I need and rents out space by the month so I may end up getting the timber as you suggested and going that route.

cheers,

Charlie

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt