collapse

Author Topic: Looking for a way to donate old gear  (Read 333 times)

Offline tahoediver

Looking for a way to donate old gear
« on: January 22, 2019, 11:50:52 AM »
Hi all,

I'm new on the forum and am looking for a way to donate "old" gear. Most of the gear is ten or so years old but has been well-cared for and wasn't used but 30-40 times, mostly in fresh water. I've looked around online and found references to Wounded Warrior-type orgs but I'm at a loss. I don't necessarily want to "sell" the gear but would much rather donate to a worry cause or group. Any ideas?

Here's some of what I have:

Oceanic Drysuit - med
7mil wetsuit
Scubapro 1st stage
BCD
Aluminum tank
misc weights, belts
Twin-jet Fins
Gloves, boots, etc, all either med or large

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Offline TheKeeneroo

• Administrator
  • There's definitely a fish under THIS rock....
Re: Looking for a way to donate old gear
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 12:01:28 PM »
I dig where your head is at!

A few ideas:
- Donate to the Pay It Forward fundraiser put on by NorCalKayakAnglers.com (NCKA). Its a big event and raises money for kayak fishing members that are suffering from cancer and other significant ailments. I can put you in touch with the right people if you're interested.
- Donate to CSUMB for their marine biology dept (not sure if they would accept it, but they might)
- Donate to the raffle at the urchin removal events (talk to Josh Russo if you decide to do this)
- NCKA has a section for anyone that is in a life threatening circumstance and needs to drop their weight belt, for members to rally together and give said person a new weight belt with weights. Big Jim could tell you more about that if you want to donate your weights there.

You said you don't want to sell, but I've been trying to find a replacement reg for my back up octo since mine is pretty busted and old. If you have a decent condition reg, I'd be happy to chat about it.

I'm interested in what you decide to do, so please keep me in the loop.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo    Facebook - @Ekeener1
Century Free Diver, Level 1 Free Dive Cert, EANx
DOTY 2018 - 3rd Place
Bring the Ling 2018 - 1st Place (=P)

Offline mldavis

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 01:36:07 PM »
I know there's at least one person on this forum involved in this group that helps vets get out on the water, just the first thing I thought of when I saw your post.

https://heroesonthewater.org/

Offline tahoediver

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2019, 07:56:31 PM »
Thanks to both of you, much appreciated. I'm checking out the orgs you mentioned and hopefully it will work out.

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt