collapse

Author Topic: Dive Watches?  (Read 563 times)

Offline StinkyPete

Dive Watches?
« on: January 17, 2019, 06:19:18 PM »
Iiiiiiiiiiiii'm backkkkkkkkkkk.....

My browser finally isn't seeing the NCUH site as a threat anymore, so I've been able to get back on. Lots of new faces it seems.

I just got back from a spearfishing trip in Baja and my Aeris F10 V2, after years of faithful service, finally took a dump on me halfway through the trip. It had been having a lot of trouble over the past 6 months, and now it's died in the forever sense. Since I've been out of the loop with the dive watch-game due to grad school occupying all my time, I was wondering what people are wearing now?

Three I've seen dominating the web after a quick search:
-Aeris F10 V3
-Suunto D4f
-Garmin MK1

Anyone have thoughts on these?
Carpe piscem

Offline gear.eye

Re: Dive Watches?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 06:31:09 PM »
Its all fine and dandy until you gotta replace the battery... You can't replace the battery in some of these watches unless you to ship the darn thing to them.

I mean, really?  I can go down 60+ ft on a single breath, but I can't change an O ring :D

I dive every week man, I am not waiting 3 weeks for a stupid battery.

Hence my mares smart apnea.

Offline StinkyPete

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 06:35:29 PM »
Its all fine and dandy until you gotta replace the battery... You can't replace the battery in some of these watches unless you to ship the darn thing to them.

I mean, really?  I can go down 60+ ft on a single breath, but I can't change an O ring :D

I dive every week man, I am not waiting 3 weeks for a stupid battery.

Hence my mares smart apnea.

That all makes sense and is my primary concern with the Garmin (aside from price) because it needs a cable to charge. As for batteries, replacing the battery on the Aeris was no big deal. Did that a bunch of times over the years.

I'll add the Mares to the list as well
Carpe piscem

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 07:53:41 PM »
Besides the new gps watch, I don’t think much has changed.

Offline CaExplorer

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2019, 07:45:33 AM »
I've been considering a watch for sometime, but undecided. Seems like it could be a useful tool for progression and provide accurate information...but expensive, distracting and anothor item to managed while gearing up and diving.

Do you think they are worth the investment?

Right now, you are exactly where you are supposed to be.

Offline Zzz

• Imperius Rex
    • Zzz Youtube
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2019, 08:21:18 AM »
I got a dive watch towards the end of last season and it's well worth the investment. I would consider it a requisite safety item if you are trying to dive at a higher level.

I went with the Oceanic F10 because it was among the cheaper and simple options. The only features I feel like I really need are depth, breath hold time, breath up time, and basic time/date so I can mind the tides. I'm happy with it so far.

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2019, 08:34:22 AM »
I've been considering a watch for sometime, but undecided. Seems like it could be a useful tool for progression and provide accurate information...but expensive, distracting and anothor item to managed while gearing up and diving.

It depends on how you dive. People have been diving without them forever. They don’t increase your depth or breath hold. They don’t find fish. So what good are they?
Most importantly, a watch counts your surface interval. With the exception of holding your breath and clearing your ears, surface interval is the most important factor in diving. It ensures proper recovery time which in turn allows better bottom time, a more relaxed state, less fatigue and a longer more enjoyable dive day.

Dive time. We are always curious how long we were under. It’s not that important except in the fact that it determines your surface interval.

Depth is more of a novelty, unless you know what depth your fish or spot is, or if you want to hunt a certain depth. It’s fun to know your depth but it’s not important.

Dive counter. I usually do a minimum of 100 dives. It can be a good way to track your day.

Temperature is good info for fishing.

Time of day.  Depends on what you have scheduled or if you have a need to watch the clock. It can be good or bad. If you have a wife that expects you to hurry up and get out so you can do whatever she want then you have no excuse for pissing her off again.

Personally, I feel like is a necessity. I’ll paddle back in a mile and run back to the house to get it rather than dive without it.

I still use the F10 or F11. I won a sporasub but I haven’t used it. I took it at a raffle over the new shark shield. I’d rather have a watch in the closet than a shark shield on my leg.

Online naturalSelection

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2019, 09:15:26 AM »
A big factor I think would be your budget. I tend to lean toward cheaper, expendable watches. Cheapo bracket list:

Pyle Snorkel. Guaranteed to work perfectly for exactly one year, then it will flood. Whip out your warranty and get a new one free. I'm on my 5th, riding the sweet wave of one warranty.

Sporasub SP1. Same display computer as Pyle, but different body. Might be more rugged?

guy like me would also spring for a salvimar one, or seacsub partner. 

Again, I've heard mostly complaints about freedive watches, so I tend to go cheap.

Offline TheKeeneroo

• Administrator
  • There's definitely a fish under THIS rock....
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2019, 09:56:31 AM »

It depends on how you dive. People have been diving without them forever. They don’t increase your depth or breath hold. They don’t find fish. So what good are they?
Most importantly, a watch counts your surface interval. With the exception of holding your breath and clearing your ears, surface interval is the most important factor in diving. It ensures proper recovery time which in turn allows better bottom time, a more relaxed state, less fatigue and a longer more enjoyable dive day.

Dive time. We are always curious how long we were under. It’s not that important except in the fact that it determines your surface interval.

Depth is more of a novelty, unless you know what depth your fish or spot is, or if you want to hunt a certain depth. It’s fun to know your depth but it’s not important.

Dive counter. I usually do a minimum of 100 dives. It can be a good way to track your day.

Temperature is good info for fishing.

Time of day.  Depends on what you have scheduled or if you have a need to watch the clock. It can be good or bad. If you have a wife that expects you to hurry up and get out so you can do whatever she want then you have no excuse for pissing her off again.

Personally, I feel like is a necessity. I’ll paddle back in a mile and run back to the house to get it rather than dive without it.

I still use the F10 or F11. I won a sporasub but I haven’t used it. I took it at a raffle over the new shark shield. I’d rather have a watch in the closet than a shark shield on my leg.

Great synopsis as always.

I have the D4F. I dove for a year with a regular G-Shock just so I could see what time it was because typically I have to be back in by a certain time for this or that. I tried to count my surface interval but its nearly impossible to get an accurate time for how long you've been under water and its very distracting. Once I upgraded to the D4F, its a game changer. I love it for all the reasons Rob102 mentioned although I got my shark shield before the watch.

I would not recommend an air integrated watch like the D4i because it skimps out on features of a freedive only watch.

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo    Facebook - @Ekeener1
Century Free diver, Level 1 Free Dive Cert, EANx
DOTY 2018 - 3rd Place
Bring the Ling 2018 - 1st Place (=P)

Offline StinkyPete

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2019, 10:05:38 AM »
Awesome, thanks for the suggestions! I think of the watch as an essential piece of gear.

I had a D4i but handed it over to the wife when she started diving after a few years of use. I agree that they neuter the freedive features, but nonetheless, it was a nice watch. Never seen it since but it was a nice watch. Who knows where she put it.

Seems like the watch selection is all over the place, so they probably all do the job reasonably well. I'll probably just get the Aeris again then. Thanks!
Carpe piscem

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2019, 01:35:48 PM »
Awesome, thanks for the suggestions! I think of the watch as an essential piece of gear.

I had a D4i but handed it over to the wife when she started diving after a few years of use. I agree that they neuter the freedive features, but nonetheless, it was a nice watch. Never seen it since but it was a nice watch. Who knows where she put it.

Seems like the watch selection is all over the place, so they probably all do the job reasonably well. I'll probably just get the Aeris again then. Thanks!

Where are you diving now Pete?

Offline mldavis

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2019, 12:20:25 PM »
I've always wanted a watch I could wear regularly AND dive with. I'm not super concerned with documenting things precisely and I'm on a budget. There isn't much in the market that would work for both. I stumbled accross the Nixon Unit Dive watch. It's a normal Nixon watch, but has depth gauge, temp gauge, surface interval timer, downtime timer and logs your previous 50 dives. The depth rating is only 100meters, but most people aren't diving more than 20-30 meters on the regular while spearfishing. I picked it up for like $80 on Amazon but they are getting hard to find at that price now mostly seeing MSRP price.  I've only got about a half dozen days of diving on it so the jury is still out on how long it will last and there are very few reviews online. Since I wear it everyday I don't see it as extra gear to worry about, I just leave a watch band extender to give plenty of room to get over my fat wrist and 7mm suit. As far as spearfishing is concerned it's more than enough.

Offline rlg239

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2019, 12:44:41 PM »
I also dive with the Nixon dive unit and have been for the past year and a half. It’s perfect for a barebones dive watch. Holds the last 50 dives. I really only care about it for my surface interval time so it doesn’t matter if it holds more than 50 at least for myself personally.  The only issues that I’ve had is that my wetsuit will occasionally knock it out of the dive mode(not a big deal)) and that the band is a very stretchy rubber. I busted the band once by trying to tighten it and just replaced it with an old oceanic band that I had. Other than that it’s good for an idiot proof freedive watch.

Offline Travis Mills

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2019, 05:55:46 PM »
It's the dive version, about $250 I think I seen,   or the standard nixon watch for around $100? 

Offline mldavis

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2019, 07:36:51 PM »
The dive version. It has a freedive mode. The regular one won't have that. I checked my order history and I got mine about a year ago on Amazon for $87, but I checked the same link and they're at MSRP now. I remember when I was looking there were some small dive and surf shops that had them for around $100, so maybe search deeper or wait and hope the price drops.

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt