collapse

Author Topic: Fin Stiffness?  (Read 425 times)

Offline Zzz

• Imperius Rex
    • Zzz Youtube
Fin Stiffness?
« on: January 20, 2019, 12:53:44 PM »
I'm thinking about purchasing a pair of these Mako Pure Carbon Fiber Fins while they are on sale:
https://www.makospearguns.com/PURE-Carbon-Fiber-Freedive-Fins-p/lfpcf.htm

Soft or Medium Stiffness? Completely different fin?

I'm very happy with all my Mako gear so far. Last year I got a pair of Mako fiberglass fins and they are still serving me well, but I think I need a pair of carbon fiber too  :D

rluiz

Re: Fin Stiffness?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2019, 04:42:57 PM »
I would personally call Mako themselves and ask, fins can vary by who makes them. Also depending on your body type, are you a big strong legged dude? Then a stiffer find would work for you. If you can find someone with these fins it would be a huge bonus as its always best to borrow someones fin for a couple dives and see how you like them. I personally have no experience in these fins but I would imagine medium stiffness would be best.

Offline Zzz

• Imperius Rex
    • Zzz Youtube
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 01:52:08 PM »
I had the same thought unfortunately after calling them I'm no closer to a decision. According to the rep at my height/weight (5'9" 185lb) I'm right on the cusp and stiffness comes down to personal preference.

To further complicate things the pure carbon fins are out of stock in Med stiffness. The rep recommended the carbon/fiberglass composite fins as a more durable alternative for spearfishing with basically the same performance as pure carbon, but I'm concerned that I wouldn't notice much difference vs my fiberglass fins at that point.

I was leaning towards medium stiffness...

Offline ji

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2019, 03:49:18 PM »
I am certainly no expert at this but to further complicate your decision imo your foot pockets and (tendon) have a great deal to do with your overall decision in blade stiffness. Having said that I might have gone with the 40 instead of 30 with (similar to your height/weight) for the Falcon C4 with H dessault pockets. They are fine with the fiberglass/composite Edge blades. See pic. I don't care for the Picasso pockets with any blade, way to hard. These C4 have taken a beating on the rocks and still ok.       

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2019, 08:05:59 PM »
I’m 225lbs and I wear soft. Besides leg strength there are other factors to consider, such as depth, current, style, average number of dives, amount of surface swimming, kicking off the bottom. The fact is nothing is great for every application but both stiffnesses will be pretty good all around. All things considered, d say a softer blade is a better all around choice for someone your weight. That said, I have no idea how soft/stiff Mako blades are in comparison to the blades I use. Don’t worry too much. You will get used to whatever you choose and it will be just fine. Keep in mind that the gear doesn’t make the diver, ability does.  Gear is just the icing on the cake. Pick one and pull the trigger.  Your next set can be perfect, or maybe the next set, or maybe the next set...
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 08:38:53 PM by Rob102 »

Offline Zzz

• Imperius Rex
    • Zzz Youtube
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2019, 09:19:03 AM »
Thanks, Rob! I'll stick with soft Mako's until someone lets me trial fancier fins in the future

Offline TheKeeneroo

• Administrator
  • There's definitely a fish under THIS rock....
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2019, 12:07:37 PM »
Thanks, Rob! I'll stick with soft Mako's until someone lets me trial fancier fins in the future

Good call. Rob102 talked me out of the composit when I was buying fins due to the limitation the put on the benefits of pure carbon. I got medium stiffness because I dive in hawaii with currents a couple times a year but if I was to get another pair just for NorCal, I'd go full soft. I'm dying to try the Cetma Edge fins and unique foot pocket.

I ended up getting a great deal on the Subcraft fins with pathos pockets. I like pathos pockets due to their thin side rail (doesn't constrict the blade movement as much as a thicker rail) and you can heat up the foot pocket and mold it to your foot which is neat.

I've also beat the snot out of my blades so far and no issues!
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo    Facebook - @Ekeener1
Century Free Diver, Level 1 Free Dive Cert, EANx
DOTY 2018 - 3rd Place
Bring the Ling 2018 - 1st Place (=P)

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt