collapse

Author Topic: Bottom time  (Read 3059 times)

Glaucus

Bottom time
« on: April 02, 2010, 10:53:05 AM »
Just curious what kind of bottom time you guys are getting.  I know from my time diving.  Most of the decent divers I've been out with are hitting like 45 seconds to a minute. (((No, I never timed Matt or Brandon when I've been out with them)) This is a super rough estimate due to the fact that I'm counting in my head and I'm throwing out the countless 20-30 second dives I've seen. 

I wore a freedive watch one day last year and was hitting like 55-75 seconds.  I felt like I wasn't having my best day, but at the sametime I think I may have been pushing it a little 'cause I was looking at the clock quite a bit.  These were dives in 30-35 feet of water and just poking around at the bottom (as opposed to trying to cover a lot of ground). 

You guys just got me thinking about it with the 2 minute goals.  Anyone out there hitting that?  Or even witness someone who can?  I'm talking fully legit timed and repeated.  I've had people tell me "dude, you were down like 2 minutes!!!", but after actually timing myself I know this is WAY OFF.

Offline JASON HOLLIDAY

Re: Bottom time
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 11:06:44 AM »
 My bottom time changes with conditions. I have gone down and had my dive buddys looking for me not knowing where I went and Ive also gone down and came streight back up. The better the vis the longer I can stay on the bottom and cover ground but when the vis is crap I dont spend much time traveling I rather put my focus on marked spots in shallower water15-20'+/-. I had 1 great day last season hitting between 40-50' at van damme for the first time that showed that anything is possible if you put in the time and effort. now that I have the knowledge that I can hit 45' I have found myself pushing each time I get the chance. Now I just wanna drop in at 60' and wave to some scuba divers just for the fun of it.... :laughing7:
Jason Holliday
Fishing pole's are over rated..........

rangair94

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 12:21:20 PM »
I am hoping to get 2 minute total dive times. I am not looking to much for depth. I usually have a hard time equalizing a lot. I usually hit 20 to 30 feet. I just like to cruise around on the bottom for a while.

Offline winklecl

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 02:10:33 PM »
I am hoping to get 2 minute total dive times. I am not looking to much for depth. I usually have a hard time equalizing a lot. I usually hit 20 to 30 feet. I just like to cruise around on the bottom for a while.

I'm with allen on this one. If you're looking for big abs they will be in this depth range. The longer you're down the more chance you have to find them. I save the 40'+ for scuba. Otherwise I find myself fighting my equalizing time with bottom time. Really cuts into a dive.

Glaucus

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 02:32:10 PM »
Allen,
I'm just curious, how long you staying down already?  You close to 2 minutes?

rangair94

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 03:23:36 PM »
Around a minute. The last few times I went out I started to concentrate on relaxing and breathing. some of the stuff you are supposed to do. I went from like 30 to 40 second dives to around 60. I think that if I continue to focus on those things I could hit 2 minutes. I also like to hold my breath and walk around the house sometimes. I used to do static, but I think this way is more like diving and helps your body get used to it.

Offline NorCal DiverDave

• Fish on
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/NCUWHdiverdave
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 01:13:49 PM »
I can hold my breath for over 1 minute on the couch but in the water it is more like 30 seconds.
Like Jason says I can go deeper with good vis. Up here i go 20 feet, in Monterey on a clear day I can go 40 feet.

Offline mot

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2010, 06:11:42 PM »
I have never timed myself but I am pretty sure I can only hold for about 30 sec. average. I know that I can stay down longer when it is clear. When the vis is nada and the lights go out on the way down I run out of air fast! I also know that when I find a ab that I want I can force myself to ignore the urge to breath for a little longer. I can hold my breath sitting in my chair for 2 minutes or so but when you add cold water,stress of swimming and such it goes way down. I am sure if I keep working on it I will get better. I don't know how deep I can dive I think it is around 20 or 25 feet but I think that I like about 15.

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2010, 09:33:40 PM »
I had 1 great day last season hitting between 40-50' at van damme . :laughing7:

:bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs:
Your my bro and all jason but 50ft  :bs:it was more like 40ft that day unless my dive watch was wrong I still love ya though  :icon_thumright:
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

THANK YOU TO MY AWESOME SPONSORS

Offline JASON HOLLIDAY

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2010, 09:59:30 PM »
  Its cool bro call my bluff thats why I said between 40-50 it was like 41-42 still my best dive and a memoral day and all it proved is that I can do it. I still havent been able to get close since then but with some more time and practice and knowledge along with the right dive partners I believe my goal is within my reach sometime in the future. I can tell you this last season was my best I was able to go from 10-15' diver to a 20-30' diver and I believe it had alot to do with the partners I had pushing me to do better and sharing knowledge to sharpen my abilitys in the water. You all know who you are and thanks. Oh and Matt  :thefinger:  :laughing7: :laughing7:
Jason Holliday
Fishing pole's are over rated..........

Kai Kane

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2010, 09:32:23 AM »
Conditions definately play a huge part in my dive times. on my last dive in carmel we had some of the greatest conditioins ive ever goten down there.  Now my usual dive times were about 40sec. This day logging with my immersion prowler dive computer I was hitting 2 min. plus.  Longest was 2:16.  Couldnt believe it.  I would just cruise to the bottom and using my hands poull myself along the rocks.  Hope the next dive goes anywhere near that one. :icon_thumright:

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2010, 10:12:00 AM »
  Its cool bro call my bluff thats why I said between 40-50 it was like 41-42 still my best dive and a memoral day and all it proved is that I can do it. I still havent been able to get close since then but with some more time and practice and knowledge along with the right dive partners I believe my goal is within my reach sometime in the future. I can tell you this last season was my best I was able to go from 10-15' diver to a 20-30' diver and I believe it had alot to do with the partners I had pushing me to do better and sharing knowledge to sharpen my abilitys in the water. You all know who you are and thanks. Oh and Matt  :thefinger:  :laughing7: :laughing7:
Right on brother  :laughing7:
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

THANK YOU TO MY AWESOME SPONSORS

Offline Tino B

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2010, 05:09:58 PM »
I guess it all depends on the conditions and water temp.
In NorCal my dives range from 45-70 seconds tops.  If I can't get it done it that amount of time then I will just have to go back, ha ha.
When the water is warm and clear its a different story. 
Its funny how many east coast or SoCal divers come to our 50deg water and have a hard time staying down longer than 45 seconds.   Not to mention dealing with the crappy viz and the heavy surge.
Being able to hit deep depths is not as important as being in control when you get there.
If you move too fast and clunky not staying smooth in your actions, you will burn up extra air and be heading for the surface in no time. 
When you can learn to stay calm, and keep things smooth and focused you can accomplish a lot in only 60 seconds. 
I am still learning to be calm.
The more you dive the better you will get at it. 
At least that is what I tell my wife, ha ha.
Depths for hunting CenCal 3-65'   average 30'
                          NorCal 10-55'  average 30'

Offline Fis_Hunter

• May I have some more
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2010, 06:43:19 PM »
I do not have a dive watch so I have no idea how long I can stay down.  The deepest I have hit up north is 48'.  Down south the deepest I hit was about 44' or at least that was how deep I was diving looking for all the gear Mike from spearboard said it was when he lost his fins gun and belt.  Vic T and I spent an hour hunting for mikes stuff with no luck.  I would guess I was averaging about 45 seconds to 1 minute.  Diving in hawaii I was able to stay down longer. 

Satic breath hold last year PB was 4 minutes six seconds.  I cant come anywhere near it under water.
Myrel C. Willeford

Glaucus

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2010, 04:14:02 PM »
Seems like there are a bunch of us that are right there at 45-60 seconds with a few dives to 70 seconds, and nobody claims to be doing much at or below 50' on a regular basis.  Many of us put down for goals that we'd like to improve towards 2:00 and being proficient at the 50'-60' level (other than pulling 10's these were the most common goals). 

Anyone else interested in doing some sort of team work towards achieving these goals?  I know I've heard a few guys talk about diving Lake Ross on less than perfect days just to work on technique, but so far I've never heard or seen anyone do it. 

Many of us have been diving for several years now, so what's going to make this a breakout year for all of us???  Anyone else have any ideas how we're going to get there?

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt