collapse

Author Topic: Kimera slip tip thing. Any experience?  (Read 349 times)

Offline kodama

Kimera slip tip thing. Any experience?
« on: December 24, 2018, 01:55:53 PM »
Has anyone tried this new take on the slip tip? At first look it makes sense but I remain skeptical until I hear some first hand experience.

https://www.kimeraspearfishing.com/

Do you guys use slip tips at all and if so in what situations?

I have only used them for hunting flatfish with limited success.

Offline ryang85

Re: Kimera slip tip thing. Any experience?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2018, 04:36:33 PM »
Ive been looking at these for baja reef species. Slip tips are just too fragile to mess around in the reefs.  Im probably going to give one a try next trip.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline kodama

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2018, 01:45:36 AM »
Ive been looking at these for baja reef species. Slip tips are just too fragile to mess around in the reefs.  Im probably going to give one a try next trip.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Let us know how it performs. Good luck with it.

Offline naturalSelection

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2018, 06:04:03 PM »
In my opinion, slip tips are mainly advantageous with softer pelagic fish (wahoo or wsb), or very large fish like tuna or Marlin. I have used them, but I feel they are grossly overpriced. After losing a $100 Riffe ice pick, i have switched to double flopper for big game. slip tips do add more loading time for each shot, and it's more gear to fuss with. Yet another drawback for me.

I know some guys who use the jbl breakaways on pole spears for big lings, which does make sense.

I have been considering the kimera slip tip, and on paper it looks like a great design. Never tried it tho. Would be interested to hear a review.

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt