collapse

Author Topic: Poison Oak on Wet Suit??  (Read 560 times)

Offline TheKeeneroo

• Administrator
  • There's definitely a fish under THIS rock....
Poison Oak on Wet Suit??
« on: December 11, 2018, 02:08:34 PM »
Apparently missing the trail down in Big Sur lead to me getting poison oak all over me and the wet suit I wore to trudge through the thicket. Any thoughts on how to clean it off the suit without messing up the open cell neoprene?
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo    Facebook - @Ekeener1
Century Free diver, Level 1 Free Dive Cert, EANx
DOTY 2018 - 3rd Place
Bring the Ling 2018 - 1st Place (=P)

Offline charlierobinton

Re: Poison Oak on Wet Suit??
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2018, 04:03:28 PM »
You just need to get the oil off. I'd soak it in a tub with some gentle dish soap for a while and then rinse it off with fresh water. I got a biodegradeable/hypoallergenic dish soap at whole foods a few months ago that I've been using to slide into my suit and it works great. It hasn't caused any harm to the neoprene yet!

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2018, 09:25:27 PM »
Go diving. It’ll wash off.

Offline Seadog

• Josh T
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2018, 10:16:08 PM »
Salt water, seriously. I rinse all my gear in the ocean that I fear has stuck up even a conversation with poison oak. Plus during this time of year in the winter months poison oak does not produce as much of the oil so it’s slightly less a concern you contracted it. Summer but especially the spring is when the oils are highest potency and most likely to cause an allergic reaction. I’m highly allergic to the f’ing plant I’ve learned the hard way many times! Even with contact to my skin I’ll rinse off in the ocean and haven’t had a reaction afterwards.

Offline ryang85

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2018, 04:09:28 AM »
Salt water, seriously. I rinse all my gear in the ocean that I fear has stuck up even a conversation with poison oak. Plus during this time of year in the winter months poison oak does not produce as much of the oil so it’s slightly less a concern you contracted it. Summer but especially the spring is when the oils are highest potency and most likely to cause an allergic reaction. I’m highly allergic to the f’ing plant I’ve learned the hard way many times! Even with contact to my skin I’ll rinse off in the ocean and haven’t had a reaction afterwards.
Saltwater breaks down poison oak oil, I used to get it constantly for months at a time and the easiest cure was swimming in a saltwater pool for 20 minutes a day. It will  also breakndown if dried( usualy in 24 hours).

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline TheKeeneroo

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2018, 08:33:51 AM »
Plus during this time of year in the winter months poison oak does not produce as much of the oil so it’s slightly less a concern you contracted it. Summer but especially the spring is when the oils are highest potency and most likely to cause an allergic reaction.

Oh its not a concern at all... it's a fact jack. I'm covered head shoulders knees and toes (and balls and arm pits and everywhere else)... I got it in Sur on Saturday and dove on Sunday too (didn't wash my suit well on Saturday after dive) so maybe my wet suit doesn't have the oil on it anymore, but it was already too late for me...
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward

Eric, Pacific Grove
DOTY 2018 - 3rd Place

Offline alldayreese

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2018, 02:04:55 PM »
Nice job Napoleon! 

Kidding, yeah I went through it before dipping into the ocean.  The ocean seemed to wash it off well enough. No issues here.

Offline TheKeeneroo

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2018, 02:16:46 PM »
hahah discovering new worlds and conquering large fishies.

Just got back from urgent care... where in the paraphrased words of Forrest Gump, "They shot me in the buttocks" ... twice. Dang. Feels like an epic charlie horse.

Eric, Pacific Grove
DOTY 2018 - 3rd Place

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt