NorCal Underwater Hunters Discussion > Hunting Techniques

Poison Oak on Wet Suit??

(1/2) > >>

TheKeeneroo:
Apparently missing the trail down in Big Sur lead to me getting poison oak all over me and the wet suit I wore to trudge through the thicket. Any thoughts on how to clean it off the suit without messing up the open cell neoprene?

charlierobinton:
You just need to get the oil off. I'd soak it in a tub with some gentle dish soap for a while and then rinse it off with fresh water. I got a biodegradeable/hypoallergenic dish soap at whole foods a few months ago that I've been using to slide into my suit and it works great. It hasn't caused any harm to the neoprene yet!

Rob102:
Go diving. It’ll wash off.

Seadog:
Salt water, seriously. I rinse all my gear in the ocean that I fear has stuck up even a conversation with poison oak. Plus during this time of year in the winter months poison oak does not produce as much of the oil so it’s slightly less a concern you contracted it. Summer but especially the spring is when the oils are highest potency and most likely to cause an allergic reaction. I’m highly allergic to the f’ing plant I’ve learned the hard way many times! Even with contact to my skin I’ll rinse off in the ocean and haven’t had a reaction afterwards.

ryang85:

--- Quote from: Seadog on December 11, 2018, 10:16:08 PM ---Salt water, seriously. I rinse all my gear in the ocean that I fear has stuck up even a conversation with poison oak. Plus during this time of year in the winter months poison oak does not produce as much of the oil so it’s slightly less a concern you contracted it. Summer but especially the spring is when the oils are highest potency and most likely to cause an allergic reaction. I’m highly allergic to the f’ing plant I’ve learned the hard way many times! Even with contact to my skin I’ll rinse off in the ocean and haven’t had a reaction afterwards.

--- End quote ---
Saltwater breaks down poison oak oil, I used to get it constantly for months at a time and the easiest cure was swimming in a saltwater pool for 20 minutes a day. It will  also breakndown if dried( usualy in 24 hours).

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version