collapse

Author Topic: First wood gun for inshore/hole hunting?  (Read 496 times)

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
Re: First wood gun for inshore/hole hunting?
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2018, 09:33:59 PM »
I got the Pathos 75cm with universal grip. Looking forward to trying it. Thanks again for the help, everyone.

Great choice!

Offline Diver Dan

• Dan Romo
    • Studio Romo (My shop: Metal Fabrication, Sculpture restoration, Patina, Cast Bronze, etc)
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2018, 09:39:28 PM »
My favorite gun for NorCal hole hunting is the Riffe MetalTech OS I found on the bottom of the ocean covered in sea weed and barnacles. Must have been there for at least a year. I scraped off the junk (there was a lot of it) and it was ready to go! No rust! The bands even lasted a year after I found it. Great power for a small gun (3 bands) and mid-handle is great for hole hunting. The only thing wrong with it is it doesn't float once the spear is shot. But what do you expect after being on the ocean floor for at least a year. My next favorite gun is the Riffe mahogany #0. Slightly bigger. Good for holes and longer shots on clear days. But a little too long sometimes for hole hunting close range. Either way, a Riffe is much better than a JBL. So are Mike N.'s guns, Sea Sniper, Pathos.

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2018, 06:40:33 AM »
My favorite gun for NorCal hole hunting is the Riffe MetalTech OS I found on the bottom of the ocean covered in sea weed and barnacles. Must have been there for at least a year. I scraped off the junk (there was a lot of it) and it was ready to go! No rust! The bands even lasted a year after I found it. Great power for a small gun (3 bands) and mid-handle is great for hole hunting. The only thing wrong with it is it doesn't float once the spear is shot. But what do you expect after being on the ocean floor for at least a year. My next favorite gun is the Riffe mahogany #0. Slightly bigger. Good for holes and longer shots on clear days. But a little too long sometimes for hole hunting close range. Either way, a Riffe is much better than a JBL. So are Mike N.'s guns, Sea Sniper, Pathos.

Metal tech are made to sink.  Good for scuba or marking the bottom.

Offline TheKeeneroo

• There's definitely a fish under THIS rock....
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2018, 08:47:39 AM »
I got the Pathos 75cm with universal grip. Looking forward to trying it. Thanks again for the help, everyone.

Great choice!
+1
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo
Facebook - @Ekeener1
Century Free diver, Level 1 Free Dive Cert, EANx

Offline Diver Dan

• Dan Romo
    • Studio Romo (My shop: Metal Fabrication, Sculpture restoration, Patina, Cast Bronze, etc)
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2018, 03:23:17 PM »

Metal tech are made to sink.  Good for scuba or marking the bottom.

Ah, well that makes sense. Glad I never decided to try to fix it.

Online cam3087

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2018, 02:58:54 PM »

I use the riffe metal tech 0s and love it for humboldt < 6ft vis hole hunting. It was perfect for those kind of conditions. Before that I had a riffe padauk that would float up and move around after marking a spot.. very frustrating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt