collapse

Author Topic: The hunt for Albacore  (Read 840 times)

Offline alldayreese

The hunt for Albacore
« on: November 15, 2018, 12:09:39 PM »
Just curious if anyone has successfully hunted Albacore here in Northern California or has anyone attempted to try?   I guessing you will have to chum it up a bit hoping no GWS come about.

Curious how far out you have to go from shore, and what area see large schools passing through.

Offline ryang85

Re: The hunt for Albacore
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2018, 01:52:35 PM »
Just curious if anyone has successfully hunted Albacore here in Northern California or has anyone attempted to try?   I guessing you will have to chum it up a bit hoping no GWS come about.

Curious how far out you have to go from shore, and what area see large schools passing through.
Ive caught many albacore commercially, sports and charter so these are fish i know pretty well with hook and line.  I finally built some guns about a year ago capable of taking tuna so  this would be my first year trying from below water. This year was strange in the fact the the tuna did not seem to boil like previous years, majority of the fish were not surfacing so we stuck with trolling rod and reel, the tuna were super boat shy as well.
  The most difficult part of norcal is the fact we cannot buy live bait that morning. Sometimes the tuna won't touch dead bait at all. The sharks i didnt worry about much, the makos and blue sharks are fairly docile sharks even with chum in the water and the 75 to 150 foot allows you to spot them far off.

And we fish for tuna  usually 20 to 75 miles offshore. Oregon starts off the season in may then  north central California usually has a good late bite in September. Although  south of bodega bay  hasn't had a good year since 2013.  Fort Bragg was hot with big fish around july and august, which is the standard. Most of the tuna guys are willing to travel to the good port, when the weather is good you have to be ready to go, many trips are called off or on the night before.  It all depends on water currents, weather and where the fish want to be.  Humboldt tuna club forum has a lot of good info, the crowd that chases them is a totally different breed of fisherman. If you have a boat albacore fishing can be addictive. I've been trying to spear them but without live bait its hard to slow them down, the lack of surface fish did not help, also the fact that they are a fast moving fish and taking a shot on a fish going 30mph is practically impossible.

This year had a fair amount of dorado and bluefin in the mix so jumping into a school of chummed albacore might allow you to select out the the exotics. I jumped in on a kelp patty offshore and didn't see anything but if you can find a big kelp patty there's a decent chance of rat sized yellowtail.  Some guys caught 2 off the same patty just before i got in on so the others might have dove down to hide.
 Most guys just troll around feathers all day so they don't catch much other than tuna.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 02:01:10 PM by ryang85 »

Offline alldayreese

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 02:31:46 PM »
Ryan, thanks for the great information and insight description. I would Mos-Def like to take a few good attempts in spearing some Albacore in Northern cal, beats always making socal trips for other Tunas.

When You speak of Yellows and Dorados, you are referring to down south, not up here north of Big Sur? 

Offline ryang85

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2018, 02:38:12 PM »
Ryan, thanks for the great information and insight description. I would Mos-Def like to take a few good attempts in spearing some Albacore in Northern cal, beats always making socal trips for other Tunas.

When You speak of Yellows and Dorados, you are referring to down south, not up here north of Big Sur?
No we get them up here from bodega to Oregon, dorados are pretty commonly seen but rarely hooked, probably about 1 dorado for every 250 albacore are landed and same goes with YT, mainly drifting and jigging.  My theory has always been that being able to select the one out of 250 would be much easier with a speargun.

And albacore are a much faster pace fish than the bluefin, the waiting  for hours on end concept is the same but the albacore can come up and stay up in schools of thousands for hours or minutes

« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 02:55:24 PM by ryang85 »

Offline TheKeeneroo

• Administrator
  • There's definitely a fish under THIS rock....
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2018, 02:46:58 PM »
This sounds like an epic trip!

What kind of spear gear would you need for albacore? I have a Riffe Euro 120 w/ breakaway, 50' float line with tuna chord and could get my hands on a float. I just need a longer bungee which I assume one of you has.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo    Facebook - @Ekeener1
Century Free Diver, Level 1 Free Dive Cert, EANx
DOTY 2018 - 3rd Place
Bring the Ling 2018 - 1st Place (=P)

Offline bythog

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2018, 02:53:04 PM »
Man, you guys are confusing using the wrong name for a dolphin/mahi.

Offline charlierobinton

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2018, 03:16:38 PM »
I know nothing about spearfishing for albacore, but it peaked my interest and it looks like at least a handful of guys in Oregon and WA have had success. Here's an interesting thread from spearboard which also includes some hunting and rigging tips:

http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=185203

Offline TheKeeneroo

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2018, 04:52:02 PM »
THAT was a fun read. thanks for posting the link. Now I'm thinking my 120 isn't good enough haha
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward

Eric, Pacific Grove
DOTY 2018 - 3rd Place

Offline alldayreese

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2018, 05:06:33 PM »
Are we making a Albacore Team here?   :D lol

Shot any tuna taking North of here is wild. I'm game.

Offline ryang85

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2018, 05:12:47 PM »
THAT was a fun read. thanks for posting the link. Now I'm thinking my 120 isn't good enough haha
120 would be fine, the fish get  really close, like 10 feet away. I was using my 52" single roller but didnt stand a chance on the speed of the fish. I tried my 58" double but without bait for them to chase they would just scream by.

Offline Diver Dan

• Dan Romo
    • Studio Romo (My shop: Metal Fabrication, Sculpture restoration, Patina, Cast Bronze, etc)
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2018, 07:20:39 AM »
  I'll hop on that boat! Put me on the list!

Offline TheKeeneroo

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2018, 03:07:08 PM »
If we want to go after this, count me in!

Eric, Pacific Grove
DOTY 2018 - 3rd Place

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt