collapse

Author Topic: Carbon Fin Glue??  (Read 379 times)

Offline TheKeeneroo

• Administrator
  • There's definitely a fish under THIS rock....
Carbon Fin Glue??
« on: November 14, 2018, 05:01:13 PM »
I've done a ton of research on what glues to use and there are basically 3 different recommendations that they all boil down to. So far I've tried 4 different types of marine glue to keep my pathos pockets rails attached to my subcraft carbon fins. I have even used 6 construction clips - 3 on each side (think giant heavy duty metal clothespins) to help pinch the rails to the blades after glue application. Then get loose in areas or detach completely after every other dive. Can someone point me in the direction of something that actually works? Or am I doing something wrong? I'm guessing I need to go in and scrape out the rails at this point before trying next coat of whatever gets recommended.  :confusion-shrug:
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo    Facebook - @Ekeener1
Century Free Diver, Level 1 Free Dive Cert, EANx
DOTY 2018 - 3rd Place
Bring the Ling 2018 - 1st Place (=P)

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
Re: Carbon Fin Glue??
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 07:30:22 PM »
If it were me I’d ask the guy you bought the blades from. 

Personally I would recommend 3M 5200, but I’m sure some little know it all will say I’m wrong.

Offline Chet

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 09:31:17 AM »
Believe it or not, there is a secret to gluing the fin.
I bought the Moana fins with pathos from JD, and my buddy also got a pair with same setup from a dive shop.
Mine is still intact without any gap at all after 3 years of diving  :o

My buddy has been popped up a few times. I did call JD and talk to him about it, he said it's in the preparation and then the glue he uses.
I didn't bother to dig deeper since it's a trade secret.

Dive and Fish.
San Jose, CA

Offline TheKeeneroo

• Administrator
  • There's definitely a fish under THIS rock....
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2018, 11:24:00 AM »
If it were me I’d ask the guy you bought the blades from. 

Personally I would recommend 3M 5200, but I’m sure some little know it all will say I’m wrong.

Do you use the clips to pinch the rails onto the fin?
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo    Facebook - @Ekeener1
Century Free Diver, Level 1 Free Dive Cert, EANx
DOTY 2018 - 3rd Place
Bring the Ling 2018 - 1st Place (=P)

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2018, 09:01:35 PM »
No, I never used clips or clamps. I don’t think it would hurt but the rails should fit tightly. Try to not have air pockets. You can prep the surface of the blade.  Maybe rough it up a little with some abrasive then clean it with alcohol. Maybe a primer prior to glue. Make sure you clean off the excess glue because it looks like shit. The 5200 is white. I used it on some fins about 15 years ago and never had a problem with the rails coming off. They were long bladed Riffe plastic fins so the material is different but it’s all in the prep.

Alfonso

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2018, 03:48:54 AM »
it’s all in the prep.

A properly cleaned and prepared surface provides the best adhesion.

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt