collapse

Author Topic: Dungeness crab spots?  (Read 366 times)

Offline bythog

Dungeness crab spots?
« on: November 09, 2018, 02:05:18 PM »
Wife and I are looking to snare some dungeness this weekend. Anyone willing to share some decent spots that aren't already crawling with other people? No kayak, no traps. Only fishing poles and snares. Ideally a spot we can take our dogs with us and is 1-2 hours from San Leandro.

If nothing else we may just go to Bodega Bay, but we'd definitely appreciate suggestions for somewhere quieter.

Offline Creatura

Re: Dungeness crab spots?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2018, 02:47:13 PM »
Reports for dungees are coming back sparse right now, it may take a few weeks.

I hit up half moon last week.  The south jetty was packed, aholes and elbows, and we got skunked, and only saw 2 out of like 50 people bring up any.  North jetty will get you some rock crab.

Best of luck!  Im hitting up half moon for round 2 this weekend

Offline Diver Dan

• Dan Romo
    • Studio Romo (My shop: Metal Fabrication, Sculpture restoration, Patina, Cast Bronze, etc)
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2018, 10:29:45 PM »
I can report that we went out last weekend in Tomales Bay. Dropped 5 traps throughout the day and pulled up 13 nice sized rock crabs. The only Dungeness we had in the traps were babies, like maybe 8 all day and none over 3". Seems most people were having similar stories. Anybody have more positive news to report?

Offline bythog

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2018, 08:39:21 PM »
Not much here. Ended up not heading north at all due to all the smoke; the Tamales/Bodega Bay areas have horrible air quality warnings. Won't be in town next weekend so it looks like Thanksgiving will be the earliest I can go out. Hopefully things pick up soon!

Offline Seadog

• Josh T
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2018, 08:49:13 PM »
Got one keeper snaring yesterday evening off the beach and one keeper this morning. Threw lots of little girls and guys back. I was using squid.The picture with the kayak is a clue, do you know where it is? Anywhere with sand is a good spot. Boats dropping pots in deeper water are pulling limits from what I hear.

One of my favorite crabbin' spots! Went down there a few days ago with hopes of setting a trap off my yak but swell and shore break was a little too sketchy. Hit me up next time if you ever want to go out snaring I'm always hungry for dungees!

Offline bythog

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2018, 09:50:22 PM »
Got one keeper snaring yesterday evening off the beach and one keeper this morning. Threw lots of little girls and guys back. I was using squid.The picture with the kayak is a clue, do you know where it is? Anywhere with sand is a good spot. Boats dropping pots in deeper water are pulling limits from what I hear.

I'm from the east coast so I have zero clue where this is.

Offline Diver Dan

• Dan Romo
    • Studio Romo (My shop: Metal Fabrication, Sculpture restoration, Patina, Cast Bronze, etc)
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2018, 06:23:33 PM »
Ha ha. 1. Your picture includes the name of the place on the engraved stone in the background. 😁 2. Your secret spot is in one of the most densly populated cities in the world. Glad you got one though brother.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 08:02:30 PM by Diver Dan »

Offline SnailHunter

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2018, 09:09:10 PM »
dammit, that's my secret spot too!

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt