collapse

Author Topic: Best kayak for Freediving/Fishing/paddling  (Read 889 times)

Offline kodama

Re: Best kayak for Freediving/Fishing/paddling
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2018, 06:20:54 AM »
Here is a quick list of some of the potential spearfishing platforms that I find interesting. See also the length to weight ratio.

For what it's worth..

I don’t know where you’re getting your numbers, but from personal experience the Trident 15 is significantly lighter than the Kraken and Tarpon 160.

From the manufacturers website:
https://oceankayak.johnsonoutdoors.com/fishing/solo-fishing/trident-15-angler

It states Trident 15 Angler 91lb
So if we may believe their own websites this doesn't seem the case. Maybe changes have been made to the design over time that cause some models to be lighter/heavier then before? Or maybe our internal scale is subjective? Just sharing the numbers that I find on the manufacturers website to make an informed decision myself.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 06:26:42 AM by kodama »

Offline Adam415

• Freediver
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2018, 07:27:48 AM »
All the manufacturers have beefed up the thickness of the plastic, thus adding 35 pounds.

Offline kodama

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2018, 07:53:50 AM »
All the manufacturers have beefed up the thickness of the plastic, thus adding 35 pounds.
I wonder why? To increase quality I guess since more thickness requires more material increases costs.

“I hate storms, but calms undermine my spirits”

Offline Adam415

• Freediver
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2018, 08:38:51 AM »
Durability. The older, thinner kayaks were prone to punctures and wear from dragging.

Offline jjjjeremy

• Your resident swordsmith
    • ABSCALIBUR
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2018, 09:11:53 AM »
Durability. The older, thinner kayaks were prone to punctures and wear from dragging.

That’s really unfortunate.  I’ve inflicted the most abuse on my thinnest and lightest kayaks and haven’t noticed any wear issues. Do they expect one person to load a 91lb kayak on top of a truck by themselves?  Or carry it down to the water?  Not everyone is built like Jim.

Offline Seadog

• Josh T
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2018, 02:45:33 PM »
I'm a sucker for the classics, a big scupper pro fan. Lightweight, comfortable, and fast as hell. The older models have a slightly larger hatch than the most recent models I can fit a gun in the 110-120cm range. True, it can't take on quite as much weight as some of the previous mentioned kayaks, but it's a trade off I've never had an issue with. (although it does sit lower in the water when shuttling around bags and bags of heavy ass urchin) They're getting harder to find these days and they usually sell pretty quickly but if you're patient (or lucky) you can find a good deal.

Offline kodama

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2018, 05:53:02 AM »
Personally I am very lightweight myself so one of the most important features for me is weight but also speed.
I have a limited amount of experience with kayak fishing and therefore always looked in the direction of the Jackson Kraken but the weight is what really makes me look in a different direction. And that one time that I carried one for 100 yards up the beach, slope and stairs.

“I hate storms, but calms undermine my spirits”

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt