collapse

Author Topic: Carbon guns for hole hunting  (Read 1684 times)

Offline kodama

Carbon guns for hole hunting
« on: October 17, 2018, 01:31:43 AM »
I was wondering how short carbon guns hold up after time when used intensively for hole hunting.
For example a Bluetec or carbon barreled gun.
My present gun a Seatec 65 (great gun by the way) can take a serious beating and after years of intense use is still doing all right.
I imagine that with carbon guns the epoxy coat can get chipped?
Any thoughts from experienced users?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Creatura

Re: Carbon guns for hole hunting
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 09:05:34 AM »
Disclaimer, I don't use one for hole hunting, but I have a background in CF.

The ultimate reason why I avoided carbon for hole hunting is that when the structure of composite materials (carbon fiber and epoxy) is compromised via scratches, it has the potential of starting to come undone, kind of like a rat's nest.  At the shop I worked at, we did a lot of bandage repairs on mountain bikes from them getting banged up on the trail.

If you go this route, keep an eye on your gun.  If you notice any superficial scratches (not penetrating to the carbon fiber) you can scuff the area around it, mix up some epoxy (tap plastics has some) and dab some over the scratch, then sand and polish.  If they scratch has made its way to the fiber, you will need to get a small patch of carbon fiber cloth, scuff up the area around the scratch, then apply the bandage (fiber and epoxy).  Both scenarios will affect the aesthetics :/

The truth is, you arent working with that heavy a gun for hole hunting, so going CF doesn't add a whole lot to the performance, but you get the cool factor, which I am told the fish admire, haha.

Offline kodama

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 10:37:45 AM »
Thanks for the reply. Honestly I don’t care much for the cool factor. I heard those light carbon guns are really easy to move and since I could get a pretty good deal on a Blue Green Falcon 70 here in Europe I was considering it. However if that is the kind of maintenance they need I will gladly pass on them.

Offline OVillanueva

• Psalms 27:17
    • My Youtube vids
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 09:28:37 PM »
Something you can try that works for me. I use 3M Clear Paint Protection Film -- the same stuff used to protect car hoods from rock chips and scratches -- just wrap the entire barrel of your gun with it. I own a Laser Carbon Open and I installed an 8mil thick version of it and it's been pretty good at protecting the front end of the gun so far -- once it's installed properly, it's basically watertight and won't peal off.

https://www.amazon.com/VViViD-Clear-Protection-Choose-Including/dp/B01LXOPYQ4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1539835140&sr=8-1&keywords=3m+invisible+shield&dpID=51M8JBrJyvL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

It's a takes a little practice working with the material so expect to put in an hour or two to get it fully installed.

Offline jjjjeremy

• Your resident swordsmith
    • ABSCALIBUR
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2018, 12:10:50 AM »
You definitely don't want a carbon fiber hole gun.  There's no benefit.

Sent from my K88 using Tapatalk

Offline kodama

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2018, 12:36:25 AM »
I understand the reasoning and follow the logic but wood is often used for small hole guns and actually you have the same problem there. Once the finish is blemished the water can penetrate the wood causing all the classic known problems. So why wood and not CF?

Does anyone here has a small CF gun he uses for holes?

Offline the_derek

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2018, 07:23:35 AM »

nope.
Death is very often referred to as a good career move.

-Buddy Holly

Insta  @_the_derek_

Offline naturalSelection

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2018, 08:04:46 AM »
Something you can try that works for me. I use 3M Clear Paint Protection Film -- the same stuff used to protect car hoods from rock chips and scratches -- just wrap the entire barrel of your gun with it. I own a Laser Carbon Open and I installed an 8mil thick version of it and it's been pretty good at protecting the front end of the gun so far -- once it's installed properly, it's basically watertight and won't peal off.

https://www.amazon.com/VViViD-Clear-Protection-Choose-Including/dp/B01LXOPYQ4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1539835140&sr=8-1&keywords=3m+invisible+shield&dpID=51M8JBrJyvL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

It's a takes a little practice working with the material so expect to put in an hour or two to get it fully installed.

I do this for my nicer wood bluewater guns. Works well and gives a nice gloss finish.

I wouldn't recommend a CF gun for any reef hunting personally, particularly in our rugged water.

Offline Creatura

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2018, 08:27:07 AM »
I understand the reasoning and follow the logic but wood is often used for small hole guns and actually you have the same problem there. Once the finish is blemished the water can penetrate the wood causing all the classic known problems. So why wood and not CF?

Many divers use aluminum or Tuff Coated guns for digging into the rocky holes.  I was using my AB Biller for hole hunting for a while since it was my first gun, but then I quickly switched to a pathos and seac after I notices the ware and tear on the gun.  Hope this helps :)

Offline pclark

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2018, 09:37:58 AM »
I 2nd Jeremy's response.  Only reason to use one would be because its all you have.  I have never owned a carbon gun for this reason. I have thought about buying a 100-120 carbon for down south but longer aluminium pipe guns have been fine for reef hunting down there.

I often leave my gun on the bottom with a floatline attached for long periods of time.  When shore diving its attached to a board, then the gun is basically an anchor.  I do this for a marker when getting scallops, UNI or just to find that hole again.  While on the bottom the gun moves around alot, scratching itself along the reef.  I think the only benefit from carbon guns is when they get much longer, so why blow the money on a short one?  Unless your just trying to support your local dive shop, then have at it.

My $0.02

Offline kodama

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2018, 10:29:31 AM »
Thanks guys for all the good advice. Yes indeed I use my hole gun as an anchor too all the time. Will keep using my trusted Seatec snake 65. Maybe get an alu Pathos laser 75 if I really want to try something different.

Offline Creatura

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2018, 10:54:52 AM »
I absolutely love my pathos.  It does have the ergonomic grip that throws some people off.  You are more than welcome to take it for a test ride!  I normally dive Big Sur, but I do make it up to Mendo from time to time.  Hitting up Sur on Saturday

Offline kodama

Carbon guns for hole hunting
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2018, 11:22:29 AM »
I absolutely love my pathos.  It does have the ergonomic grip that throws some people off.  You are more than welcome to take it for a test ride!  I normally dive Big Sur, but I do make it up to Mendo from time to time.  Hitting up Sur on Saturday
Thanks Creatura for your generous offer but at the moment I am in Sardinia. I will only be back in California early next year.

I prefer the universal grip on my Pathos Sniper roller 95 because of my smaller hands.
Never dove Big Sur would love to take you up on that offer one day.

Offline Creatura

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2018, 11:29:24 AM »
Oh wow, I bet it is beautiful there!  Anytime man!

Offline Amsmosh

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2018, 12:42:51 PM »
Much of the diving we do up here in Northern California is hole hunting. I use my gun as a marker very frequently and I cannot tell you how frustrating it is when I mark a good hole or a good fish and the next drop I find my gun has drifted. Carbon guns are generally quite light and tend to drift more than their aluminum counterparts.
God grant me the vision to dream of catching fish, the focus to visualize myself catching fish, the faith to believe that I will catch fish, and the wisdom to keep the freezer stocked with hamburgers and hot dogs.

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt