collapse

Author Topic: JAIL TIME???  (Read 1461 times)

Offline TheKeeneroo

• Administrator
  • There's definitely a fish under THIS rock....
JAIL TIME???
« on: October 12, 2018, 08:13:14 AM »
MAKE SURE YOU KNOW WHERE THE NO FISH BOUNDARIES ARE!!!

Since it's all over the place now... the news articles you've probably already seen (KION and KSBW)
are not accurate. I know 3 of the 4 guys pretty well. First off it was a simple mistake of boundary line (their fault), second there was NEVER any mention of jail and their fine is not $1k, third they didn't get as many fish as they make it sound to be (insert joke about fishing prowess here). Fake news is obnoxious and can be pretty damaging considering full names were used and it could possibly hinder these young men's careers/lives. The DFG office that got to them even mentioned how it was clear they were mistakenly sport fishing in the wrong spot, not poaching.

This is a GREAT MAP to research where the no fish zones are. I use it often.

Typical sensational fake news making a big deal out of something that isn't a big deal. Yes, they were mistaken and are paying for it, but to chalk it up to some big hype since DFG hasn't had a big break in a long time and so that Big Sur residents can finally have something to stick their noses up to is just frustrating.

Moral of the story: Know where your fishing and what you're fishing for.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo    Facebook - @Ekeener1
Century Free diver, Level 1 Free Dive Cert, EANx
DOTY 2018 - 3rd Place
Bring the Ling 2018 - 1st Place (=P)

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
Re: JAIL TIME???
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 08:26:35 AM »
what have I missed ?? what news article ?
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

Offline TheKeeneroo

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 08:52:13 AM »
what have I missed ?? what news article ?

Click the links in my post :)
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward

Eric, Pacific Grove
DOTY 2018 - 3rd Place

Offline Malibu_Two

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2018, 09:34:52 AM »
It says they took fifteen fish. That sounds believable for four guys.

Offline TheKeeneroo

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2018, 10:37:02 AM »

One of the guys I was talking to chuckled when he admitted he only shot one blue =P

Eric, Pacific Grove
DOTY 2018 - 3rd Place

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2018, 02:48:56 PM »
Not to sound like a dick but a responsible hunter is one who does the research on the game they and area they hunting !! especially in the eco Nazi anti fishing /hunting state of ca
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

Offline TheKeeneroo

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2018, 03:03:42 PM »
Not to sound like a dick but a responsible hunter is one who does the research on the game they and area they hunting !! especially in the eco Nazi anti fishing /hunting state of ca

I couldn't agree more. They have taken the responsibility of their actions. I just think its whack that the news blows the situation way out of proportion and adds details that just aren't true. I'd love to know where they got that info from.

Eric, Pacific Grove
DOTY 2018 - 3rd Place

Offline Malibu_Two

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2018, 08:09:04 PM »

One of the guys I was talking to chuckled when he admitted he only shot one blue =P

So the other three shot 14 maybe?

Offline gear.eye

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2018, 09:04:18 PM »
I wonder if they shot fish on scuba. Then, I wouldn't feel that bad about the punishment :)
But still, aren't some of those guys educated in Marine Biology or some derivative of this domain? They should know the MPAs like the back of their hands...

Offline Malibu_Two

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2018, 11:06:57 AM »
Yeah, everyone should know the MPAs. As much as I disagreed with the creation of some of them, they're the law now and we should respect it.

Offline ji

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2018, 05:14:17 PM »
Thanks for the link TheKeeneroo. Looking @ Edward F. Ricketts State Marine Conservation Area (SMCA) I was under the belief hook and line only and no spearfishing (thought I read that some time ago @ DFG) but that link doesn't say that. Probably not a good idea anyway with the bubble blowers so close. That area has some nice structure and one might run across a flattie in the right time of year  ;)

btw I have no intention to dive Ricketts     

Offline Bearhart

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2018, 08:46:37 PM »
I just got a new app called “Fish Legal”. Basically it loads MPA maps and information onto your phone so that it’s available offline when you’re out on the coast without service.

Offline TheKeeneroo

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2018, 09:36:29 AM »
Yep! Fish Legal is great. Did you check out the link to the map as well in my original post?

Eric, Pacific Grove
DOTY 2018 - 3rd Place

Offline andrew37

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2018, 06:59:57 PM »
Thanks for the link TheKeeneroo. Looking @ Edward F. Ricketts State Marine Conservation Area (SMCA) I was under the belief hook and line only and no spearfishing (thought I read that some time ago @ DFG) but that link doesn't say that. Probably not a good idea anyway with the bubble blowers so close. That area has some nice structure and one might run across a flattie in the right time of year  ;)

btw I have no intention to dive Ricketts   

Good spot. Ricketts is still hook & line only according to the DFG maps. You’re probably right about it being that way to keep someone in a PADI class from getting skewered and/or skewering others. But man would I like to hit some of that structure out in front of the aquarium.

Offline TheKeeneroo

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2018, 08:54:22 AM »
UPDATE:

This story has ended up EVERYWHERE. All kinds of local and national news. Because of the inaccuracies, KSBW (the first to post about it) is issuing a formal apology.

Eric, Pacific Grove
DOTY 2018 - 3rd Place

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt