collapse

Author Topic: New Limit On Lings  (Read 1503 times)

Offline jjjjeremy

• Your resident swordsmith
    • ABSCALIBUR
Re: New Limit On Lings
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2018, 11:08:18 AM »
30" Min
This would actually hurt the fishery a lot. As a charter deckhand it was my job to fill the limit of lings, while i prefer clients take 25" to 28" lings and I give strong encouragements tword that and its their choice( they usually follow the minimum recommendations) .   But if everyone released all of the sub 30" males they would only want to take the large egg bearing females.  And therefore increasing the catch of them and that would be much for damaging for obvious reasons.
In reality most if the charter guys hate fishing for rockfish( especially me). But the job requires it in order for the boat to make money.    While it would decrease the take for divers (i think the majority of us take fish far over the legal limit anyways).  As divers, our yearly catch of lingcod sums up to roughly a day of the charter boat haul. 

I  know my boss wouldn't like it but i think stricter depth restrictions for charter and sport boats during post salmon season months. 
There is more than just numbers of lingcod caught that are critical, as most predatory animals, predator vs. prey ratios are critical.  More rockfish=more lings under proper conditions.  ( 5 limit max on blues).

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Write DFG and email saying exactly this.

Sent from my K88 using Tapatalk

Offline Seadog

• Josh T
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2018, 02:38:07 PM »
Ling cod for divers and shore-based anglers could keep regulations as-is, while boat anglers could have an increased size limit (or decreased take). They already have a separate season, and i would believe they're responsible for a vast majority of ling cod take.
stricter depth restrictions for charter and sport boats during post salmon season months. 

Also an interesting idea
That's a good point separate regs makes sense.

Offline Jacks Diving

• www.jacksdiving.com
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2018, 11:17:27 PM »
I haven't been on here a while, but I think that they should do what they want and leave the divers alone! divers are the lowest take on the fishing spectrum!!
if you kill it, you eat it.... don't be a dick

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt