collapse

Author Topic: Two shark attacks in two days CA  (Read 2400 times)

Offline TheKeeneroo

• Administrator
  • There's definitely a fish under THIS rock....
Re: Two shark attacks in two days CA
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2018, 04:36:30 PM »
No more placebo effect!

The results of this study show that the Shark Shield™ can reduce C. carcharias interactions with a static bait (under test conditions), and provides no support to the suggestion that the Shark Shield™ attracts sharks. This study also provides evidence that C. carcharias show habituation to low voltage electric fields, at least over short time scales. However, despite this, sharks continued to be deterred by the Shark Shield™ for the duration of each trial. Although species-specific variations in deterrent threshold are likely, the fact that C. carcharias is implicated in the majority of fatal incidents globally [2] suggests that a deterrent that effectively deters this species should be an important safety consideration for a range of ocean users.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo    Facebook - @Ekeener1
Century Free diver, Level 1 Free Dive Cert, EANx
DOTY 2018 - 3rd Place
Bring the Ling 2018 - 1st Place (=P)

Offline Tez

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2018, 08:23:47 PM »
Sharks need to be wearing guy shields. Guys are killing way more sharks then sharks killing guys.

:'(

Offline Sir Rob IV

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2018, 09:51:40 PM »
Just keep telling yourself it works and it'll work. Lol jk just pulling your leg, it's better than nothing that's the bottom line.

Offline the_derek

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2018, 07:24:03 AM »
No more placebo effect!

The results of this study show that the Shark Shield™ can reduce C. carcharias interactions with a static bait (under test conditions), and provides no support to the suggestion that the Shark Shield™ attracts sharks. This study also provides evidence that C. carcharias show habituation to low voltage electric fields, at least over short time scales. However, despite this, sharks continued to be deterred by the Shark Shield™ for the duration of each trial. Although species-specific variations in deterrent threshold are likely, the fact that C. carcharias is implicated in the majority of fatal incidents globally [2] suggests that a deterrent that effectively deters this species should be an important safety consideration for a range of ocean users.

I think that there might be a few differences between a bait bag chilling in the water and a diver moving around like a seal.

Just keep telling yourself it works and it'll work. Lol jk just pulling your leg, it's better than nothing that's the bottom line.

It seems that my pissette does the trick too. I hope someone wants to do a study.
Death is very often referred to as a good career move.

-Buddy Holly

Insta  @_the_derek_

Offline MinnowHunter

• I like the rub. Feel the burn
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2018, 11:05:47 AM »
Its like trying to teach asians the letter "L".  Placebo effect does not apply in your situation.

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2018, 12:06:24 PM »
WHAT there is sharks in the ocean that might bite you ! NO way ! I did not know that when I gt into diving I guess I am going to quite now since it is dangerous and I may get bitten ! LOL j/k  You have a better chance of getting taken out on the freeway than you do by a GW
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

Offline Amsmosh

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2018, 02:01:50 PM »
For me, shark shied= peace of mind while diving and that is not something I can put a price on. If top scientists told me wearing a piece of lettuce tied around my ankle works than I would wear it.
God grant me the vision to dream of catching fish, the focus to visualize myself catching fish, the faith to believe that I will catch fish, and the wisdom to keep the freezer stocked with hamburgers and hot dogs.

Offline Sir Rob IV

« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2018, 02:26:00 PM »
For me, shark shied= peace of mind while diving and that is not something I can put a price on. If top scientists told me wearing a piece of lettuce tied around my ankle works than I would wear it.

Peace of mind = better diving, I know if I am in a spookey area my dive times are all off. You ever get used to the shock or just eventually learn to dive without being shocked

Offline the_derek

« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2018, 03:50:47 PM »

the price is $499

-Buddy Holly

Insta  @_the_derek_

Offline MinnowHunter

• I like the rub. Feel the burn
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2018, 04:43:23 PM »

the price is $499

A head of lettuce is $1.29

Offline bythog

« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2018, 05:28:28 PM »
Its like trying to teach asians the letter "L".  Placebo effect does not apply in your situation.

That's both incredibly racist and incredibly ignorant. fuk off with "jokes" like that.

Offline the_derek

« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2018, 05:59:14 PM »

the price is $499

The same amount of people have been bitten with the shark shield on, as have had lettuce wrapped around their legs.

Plus I'm pretty sure sharks are not into veggies, so you might have a good theory.

-Buddy Holly

Insta  @_the_derek_

Offline Shark Slayer

• Every Day is a Good Day
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2018, 06:54:29 PM »

the price is $499

The same amount of people have been bitten with the shark shield on, as have had lettuce wrapped around their legs.

Plus I'm pretty sure sharks are not into veggies, so you might have a good theory.

You obviously have not met Lenny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDVaCrnipCY&feature=youtu.be
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 06:59:06 PM by Shark Slayer »

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2018, 07:04:58 PM »

When the top scientists get in the water with the white sharks I might start to believe it.  It’s been a Looong time since I believed what the “experts” say.

Offline ryang85

« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2018, 07:55:23 PM »

Peace of mind = better diving, I know if I am in a spookey area my dive times are all off. You ever get used to the shock or just eventually learn to dive without being shocked
There is a reason i always talk about sharks right before I jump into the water, I gotta give myself a head start on those fish.   My bottom time is always jacked up with or without the thought of sharks. 

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt