collapse

Author Topic: Fort Ross 9/22  (Read 406 times)

Offline watersbythebay

Fort Ross 9/22
« on: September 23, 2018, 03:47:59 PM »
The stars aligned and we were able to take advantage of some dead calm seas on a Saturday!

Decided to shore dive in Fort Ross Cove for the first time, walked down the hiking trail and jumped in.

The clearest water was close to shore, everywhere else had a thick brown layer of murk. Kinda bummed at first until my first drop, the thick murky layer was only about 5-7 feet deep and then it cleared up pretty nicely. At the bottom was probably around 10-12 ft of viz with less light cuz of the murky ceiling.

On my third drop I spotted a nice looking ling free swimming through a channel about 4ish feet away, as he started to turn away from me I took a shot and got him just behind the head. The flopper didn't get through so made sure to immediately grab him. Based on where the spear entered I didn't think I stoned him, but he didn't move at all, not even a twitch. Later when cleaning him I would see that the spear had severed the spinal cord perfectly. That was a very lucky shot, he was very close to out of range and without the flopper it would have been likely to have gotten off. Phew

Played around for awhile longer loving how calm it was out there, didn't see anymore lings and couldn't find a scallop. Viz would vary from 0 to 10 ft moment to moment. Eventually got some attention from the seals that were nearby and decided to call it a day.

Despite the viz it was very calm and I came home with a 30 inch ling, very stoked! Also, we saw a bobcat trot right by us while we were on the bluff overlooking the cove scoping our dive spot, that was awesome!

Unfortunately my GoPro was angled too far down so all you can see is me shooting my gun but not the fish getting hit, dang it.

Offline TheKeeneroo

• There's definitely a fish under THIS rock....
Re: Fort Ross 9/22
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2018, 11:52:30 AM »
Sounds like a good day! Well done! Thanks for the report.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo
Facebook - @Ekeener1
Century Free diver, Level 1 Free Dive Cert, EANx

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt