collapse

Author Topic: Fish Spine Infection (with pics)  (Read 286 times)

Offline TheKeeneroo

• There's definitely a fish under THIS rock....
Fish Spine Infection (with pics)
« on: September 11, 2018, 10:00:14 AM »
Safety First!

Wanted to share my good buddy's story that happened over memorial day weekend while we were diving Big Sur.

We were cleaning fish on day 2 and he lazily threw a carcass at which point the dorsal spine came around and pricked him in the arm. Not bad at all, small pin prick with about 1 second of bleeding. Wiped it down with Neosporin (I can't recall if he used soap first - I think he did). It was just a small bump with redness, like you'd expect. By day 3 he developed small blisters and rash on his forearm, stomach, leg, neck and face. He went to urgent care. They gave him the wrong mix of antibiotics and tetanus shot which caused an even worse reaction by day 4 and 5 (see pictures). He went to ER and they pumped him full of stuff: Steroid shot, antihistamine, steroid pill, etc. It appears to be contained and going away finally after a week.

Just a reminder to play it extra safe and do everything you can to make sure wounds are cleaned when dealing with ocean bacteria.

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo
Facebook - @Ekeener1

Offline Sir Rob IV

Re: Fish Spine Infection (with pics)
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 10:25:47 AM »
Damn thanks for the write up. Makes me think I should finally dig out that urchin spine in my leg from a few months ago

Offline Slamson

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 10:53:08 AM »
You sure that's not poison oak? Gotta say from my experience that looks exactly like it

Offline TheKeeneroo

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2018, 11:14:08 AM »
You sure that's not poison oak? Gotta say from my experience that looks exactly like it

Several people have commented the same thing. I would tend to agree, however, both different doctors considered it and ruled it out.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo
Facebook - @Ekeener1

Offline TheKeeneroo

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2018, 11:33:24 AM »

Several people have commented the same thing. I would tend to agree, however, both different doctors considered it and ruled it out.

From Daniel (dude with rash):

"It was an allergic reaction to the bacteria which caused a similar classification of poison oak but not how I got it. Because of my allergic reaction to the fish bacteria, I was able to get in antibiotics before the infection set in."

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo
Facebook - @Ekeener1

Offline Chaw III

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2018, 03:06:02 PM »
Damn thanks for the write up. Makes me think I should finally dig out that urchin spine in my leg from a few months ago

I wonder the same thing, I've had a lingcod tooth in my finger for over a year and a urchin spine in my elbow for 6 weeks now with no problems. I would guess that if an infection would have happened it would have been right away, someone tell me if I'm wrong!
Perhaps the body will reject it years down the road such as this fellow with glass in his elbow. 

Offline TheKeeneroo

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2018, 03:13:55 PM »

I wonder the same thing, I've had a lingcod tooth in my finger for over a year and a urchin spine in my elbow for 6 weeks now with no problems. I would guess that if an infection would have happened it would have been right away, someone tell me if I'm wrong!
Perhaps the body will reject it years down the road such as this fellow with glass in his elbow. 

I did a belly flop in a shallow cold river after a hotsprings session in Big Sur and what I thought was just one small pebble lodged itself into the palm of my hand. I squeezed it out and was good to go. For 4 years I had a callous reform over the wound. Then I needed my second wrist surgery for an unrelated thing and when they did the soft tissue scan, found a pebble still in there. So they did the wrist surgery and took the pebble out. I guess some bodies are just more prone to infection. #immunesystemstronglikebull

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo
Facebook - @Ekeener1

Offline Tez

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2018, 03:18:08 PM »

It's definitely poison oak, but "Fish Spine Infection" is cooler sounding....and a better album name.  ;D

Offline TheKeeneroo

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2018, 04:32:02 PM »

It's definitely poison oak, but "Fish Spine Infection" is cooler sounding....and a better album name.  ;D

I ain't arguin' - just wonder what it was that got the docs thinking differently.

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo
Facebook - @Ekeener1

Offline dogpaddle

• Work...Whats that?
    • https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_hI3a6Voyhx839MAaNlxvA
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2018, 10:42:17 PM »
What kinda fish did that? I'm not taking those anymore :P
SPONSERED BY THE BATMAN AND AQUAMAN FOUNDATION

Offline the_derek

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2018, 10:04:59 AM »

the poison oak kind
Death is very often referred to as a good career move.

-Buddy Holly

Insta  @_the_derek_

Offline TheKeeneroo

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2018, 11:25:38 AM »

the poison oak kind

^^^ bahaha

FROM BUSHY:
"I started wondering about rockfish pokes.  I've noticed some subspecies hurt me way worse than others.  Specifically browns andthe quillbacks up in Alaqska.  Google search was not easy.  Everyone wants to talk about the sexy scorpion fish or stonefish....

I did find one abstract though with some good info.  The quillback and the brown are the only rockfish with toxin in al of their dorsal spines.  And they both have a high ratio ofof toxin glands to spine length.

Here's the chart that told me what I already know.  Browns and quillback pokes are the WORST."
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=85308.0;attach=372631

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo
Facebook - @Ekeener1

Offline dogpaddle

• Work...Whats that?
    • https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_hI3a6Voyhx839MAaNlxvA
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2018, 02:34:20 PM »

the poison oak kind

^^^ bahaha

FROM BUSHY:
"I started wondering about rockfish pokes.  I've noticed some subspecies hurt me way worse than others.  Specifically browns andthe quillbacks up in Alaqska.  Google search was not easy.  Everyone wants to talk about the sexy scorpion fish or stonefish....

I did find one abstract though with some good info.  The quillback and the brown are the only rockfish with toxin in al of their dorsal spines.  And they both have a high ratio ofof toxin glands to spine length.

Here's the chart that told me what I already know.  Browns and quillback pokes are the WORST."
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=85308.0;attach=372631
No worries then. Never came across any of the poison oak species while diving . I have received a light poke from a black and lost all feeling in my thumb for about 5 months. So hope I never get poked by anything on that list.
SPONSERED BY THE BATMAN AND AQUAMAN FOUNDATION

Offline Seadog

• Josh T
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2018, 03:23:44 PM »
You can get all sorts of nasty bacterial infections from ocean life. My buddy’s dad was sick with a microbactarium he contracred from cleaning fish and lasted for many months. Gotta be cautious with open wounds and keep em clean. Ha but that really does look like a poison oak rash.

Online Alfonso

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2018, 07:35:01 PM »
Fish spine infection in a finger:

Fish spine infection in a forearm:

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt