General Discussion > Freediving Discussion

Fish Spine Infection (with pics)

(1/3) > >>

TheKeeneroo:
Safety First!

Wanted to share my good buddy's story that happened over memorial day weekend while we were diving Big Sur.

We were cleaning fish on day 2 and he lazily threw a carcass at which point the dorsal spine came around and pricked him in the arm. Not bad at all, small pin prick with about 1 second of bleeding. Wiped it down with Neosporin (I can't recall if he used soap first - I think he did). It was just a small bump with redness, like you'd expect. By day 3 he developed small blisters and rash on his forearm, stomach, leg, neck and face. He went to urgent care. They gave him the wrong mix of antibiotics and tetanus shot which caused an even worse reaction by day 4 and 5 (see pictures). He went to ER and they pumped him full of stuff: Steroid shot, antihistamine, steroid pill, etc. It appears to be contained and going away finally after a week.

Just a reminder to play it extra safe and do everything you can to make sure wounds are cleaned when dealing with ocean bacteria.

Sir Rob IV:
Damn thanks for the write up. Makes me think I should finally dig out that urchin spine in my leg from a few months ago

Slamson:
You sure that's not poison oak? Gotta say from my experience that looks exactly like it

TheKeeneroo:

--- Quote from: Slamson on September 11, 2018, 10:53:08 AM ---You sure that's not poison oak? Gotta say from my experience that looks exactly like it

--- End quote ---

Several people have commented the same thing. I would tend to agree, however, both different doctors considered it and ruled it out.

TheKeeneroo:

--- Quote from: TheKeeneroo on September 11, 2018, 11:14:08 AM ---
--- Quote from: Slamson on September 11, 2018, 10:53:08 AM ---You sure that's not poison oak? Gotta say from my experience that looks exactly like it

--- End quote ---

Several people have commented the same thing. I would tend to agree, however, both different doctors considered it and ruled it out.

--- End quote ---

From Daniel (dude with rash):

"It was an allergic reaction to the bacteria which caused a similar classification of poison oak but not how I got it. Because of my allergic reaction to the fish bacteria, I was able to get in antibiotics before the infection set in."

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version