collapse

Author Topic: CA State Record Perch  (Read 706 times)

Offline TheKeeneroo

• Administrator
  • There's definitely a fish under THIS rock....
CA State Record Perch
« on: September 07, 2018, 02:04:09 PM »
Big Jim just commented on his state record MFE today on Facebook which made me curious to look at some state records. Upon research, the state record for spearfishing (free dive) Rubber Lipped Perch is 4 lbs 10oz. Well... LOOK AT THIS PICTURE (4lb 8oz)and compare belly sizes with the one I'm holding right in the water. It was super pregnant. Since perch are live breeders (no eggs laid - just live fish) I thought I'd be a nice guy and pushed all the babies out of her before I brained her (they were ready and about 30 babies swam away). I thought I was saving fish for later... had no thought that this could be a state record perch...  I AM KICKING MYSELF SO BAD RIGHT NOW! Upon further research (https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Fishing/Ocean/Fish-ID/Sportfish/Perches#rubberlip) the largest recorded rubber lip was 19.6" and mine is 20.125"...

Is there somewhere I can submit these photos for some semblance of official recognition for a freaking huge surfperch?

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo    Facebook - @Ekeener1
Century Free diver, Level 1 Free Dive Cert, EANx
DOTY 2018 - 3rd Place
Bring the Ling 2018 - 1st Place (=P)

Offline DG

Re: CA State Record Perch
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 02:26:11 PM »
Don’t get caught up in the records.  Just enjoy the quality fish when you can get them. 

Offline TheKeeneroo

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2018, 02:32:29 PM »
Don’t get caught up in the records.  Just enjoy the quality fish when you can get them.

That's like saying don't take karate just to beat people up.  :P
I hear ya, Duane. Just want at least 1 record to hang on the wall... who knows.. maybe it will be DOTY 2018 =P
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward

Eric, Pacific Grove
DOTY 2018 - 3rd Place

Offline DG

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2018, 02:59:56 PM »
I meant don’t beat yourself up.  Always good to challenge yourself and finding bigger fish sure helps. 

I thought learning karate was so you can beat people up. 

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2018, 08:12:18 PM »
All hail the great perch slayer!  We can sit around the campfire and tell the saga for generations to come!

Not very prestigious the record for the biggest of the smallest fish  I find it a bit ironic that people get records because a fish grew up, and then they killed it.

:P

Offline TheKeeneroo

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2018, 09:45:24 PM »
All hail the great perch slayer!  We can sit around the campfire and tell the saga for generations to come!

Not very prestigious the record for the biggest of the smallest fish  I find it a bit ironic that people get records because a fish grew up, and then they killed it.

:P

You popped my balloon. But would we expect anything else from Rob102?

Complement sandwiches go a long way in conversations! =P

Eric, Pacific Grove
DOTY 2018 - 3rd Place

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2018, 10:27:04 PM »
Lol. I’m trying to prevent you from becoming an egomaniac.  ;D

Jim’s record is a bit tongue in cheek. He and Fuzz went back and forth several times. Adam had some big mfe too. There are some guys who take records seriously, which is funny because nobody takes those guys seriously.

Even the guys who kill really spectacular fish will tell you that it’s mostly luck.

Offline Sunny Cove

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2018, 01:19:46 PM »
Congratulations Keeneroo!

I'd say if you are adventuring way off the beaten path and charging it when conditions suck, then heck yeah, you earned some recognition, even if it was a "lowly" perch. Points is points!

Offline John

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2018, 12:00:52 PM »
My son shot a pile perch, we ate it. Then we saw it would have easily been the state record but the only record book I want to be in is the 10" ab list. ..
Every generation imagines itself to be more intelligent than the one that went before it, and wiser than the one that comes after it. -Orwell

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2018, 04:07:37 PM »
My son shot a pile perch, we ate it. Then we saw it would have easily been the state record but the only record book I want to be in is the 10" ab list. ..

You will have to wait to 2021 or longer for that sadly
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

Offline TheKeeneroo

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2018, 04:58:57 PM »

Which is exceptionally frustrating.

Eric, Pacific Grove
DOTY 2018 - 3rd Place

Offline Sir Rob IV

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2018, 05:15:00 PM »

Which is exceptionally frustrating.
Why think of all the 11 spots well find during the closure  :P glass is always half full

Alfonso

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2018, 06:42:08 PM »
Why think of all the 11 spots well find during the closure  :P glass is always half full
[/quote]

I like the way you think.

Offline TheKeeneroo

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2018, 09:33:38 AM »
They did a study with kids on this principle. Put 1 marshmallow in front of them and said if they can wait 5 minutes they get a couple more. Can you guess the outcome?  :P

#iamaonemarshmellowman

Eric, Pacific Grove
DOTY 2018 - 3rd Place

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt