collapse

Author Topic: Anyone ever have a lingcod try to eat their speared rockfish?  (Read 3918 times)

Offline Shark Slayer

• Every Day is a Good Day
Re: Anyone ever have a lingcod try to eat their speared rockfish?
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2018, 04:25:31 PM »

Does it moo? i heard if there diet changes to rapidly to rich grass or grains it can be a problem.Would need one big cooler to get a moo fish in there.

A Moo Fish? Sounds like a bunch of bull to me.

Offline MinnowHunter

• I like the rub. Feel the burn
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2018, 07:15:33 PM »

Does it moo? i heard if there diet changes to rapidly to rich grass or grains it can be a problem.Would need one big cooler to get a moo fish in there.

A Moo Fish? Sounds like a bunch of bull to me.

maybe you should ruminate on it some more

Offline kodama

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2018, 12:36:46 AM »
I do both ike jime to kill the fish asap preventing the build up of lactic acid and then cut the gills.
The blood still leaks out maybe not as fast as with a beating heart but I am not sure if that’s really necessary.  Preventing possible sourness I because of lactic acid I find most important.

If you have the ability to put the fish on ice straight away that might help too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What type of fish are you shooting that get acidosis?
Lactic acid builds up in any muscle (meat) after intense or prolonged use. It is not species related and can happen to any fish I suppose.
I try to brain the fish asap since any stress or intense activity could  potentially influence taste. So I was thought by my Japanese friend/teacher a line and hook fisherman.

Offline kodama

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2018, 12:45:20 AM »
... and I am not sure to what extent braining and bleeding really have a huge effect. But I think I have noticed diminished taste with some bass especially a larger one that put up a decent fight 
I guess it won’t hurt... No pun intended.

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2018, 01:13:10 AM »
I can understand that logic. When you catch fish hook and line they fight from the moment you hook them until you get them on the stringer and off the hook.

When you shoot them, if you don’t take the fish out of the water they don’t struggle for more than a few seconds. When you put them on the stringer they stay docile. They bleed out in a couple minutes and die.

I used to brain fish when I was concerned about sharks and didn’t want them bleeding in the water. The meat is cleaner when it’s bled than when it’s brained. It seems more humane to brain them, but I suppose that’s more for our emotional well-being than for the quality of the meat.

To each their own.

Offline the_derek

« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2018, 07:35:55 AM »
... but I suppose that’s more for our emotional well-being than for the quality of the meat.

To each their own.

this is why i hug them before i brain them
Death is very often referred to as a good career move.

-Buddy Holly

Insta  @_the_derek_

Offline TheKeeneroo

• Administrator
  • There's definitely a fish under THIS rock....
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2018, 08:06:35 AM »
... but I suppose that’s more for our emotional well-being than for the quality of the meat.

To each their own.

a good night time song helps calm them down too. "Baby beluga in the deep blue sea" works well on most species.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo    Facebook - @Ekeener1
Century Free Diver, Level 1 Free Dive Cert, EANx
DOTY 2018 - 3rd Place
Bring the Ling 2018 - 1st Place (=P)

Offline kodama

« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2018, 10:41:25 AM »

To each their own.

You see, now I learned something! I am going to add hugging to my killing routine.

rluiz

« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2018, 01:21:49 PM »
I do both ike jime to kill the fish asap preventing the build up of lactic acid and then cut the gills.
The blood still leaks out maybe not as fast as with a beating heart but I am not sure if that’s really necessary.  Preventing possible sourness I because of lactic acid I find most important.

If you have the ability to put the fish on ice straight away that might help too.

What type of fish are you shooting that get acidosis?
Lactic acid builds up in any muscle (meat) after intense or prolonged use. It is not species related and can happen to any fish I suppose.
I try to brain the fish asap since any stress or intense activity could  potentially influence taste. So I was thought by my Japanese friend/teacher a line and hook fisherman.

If you brian ASAP, your killing the heart, would this affect the bleeding process?

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2018, 01:43:34 PM »
Of course it would. Without the heart the only way to get the blood out, or the lactic acid for that matter, is for gravity to drain it or for pressure to squeeze it out. Since we hang the fish by the head it won’t drain and I doubt the pressure pushing nearly equal on all sides will force much blood out at all. Lactic acid may cease to build up but it will never be reduced as it is carried out of the muscles through the blood stream. The best way to purge the fish is to bleed it. That’s why commercial hook and line guys take the time to bleed fish even though it makes a huge mess and that have to constantly wash down the deck. They wouldn’t waste the time or effort if it didn’t make a difference.

rluiz

« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2018, 01:58:45 PM »
Of course it would. Without the heart the only way to get the blood out, or the lactic acid for that matter, is for gravity to drain it or for pressure to squeeze it out. Since we hang the fish by the head it won’t drain and I doubt the pressure pushing nearly equal on all sides will force much blood out at all. Lactic acid may cease to build up but it will never be reduced as it is carried out of the muscles through the blood stream. The best way to purge the fish is to bleed it. That’s why commercial hook and line guys take the time to bleed fish even though it makes a huge mess and that have to constantly wash down the deck. They wouldn’t waste the time or effort if it didn’t make a difference.
Thought so, Ill keep with just bleeding the fish. I do however brain if it is a big fish and I am worried its thrashing will break my old stringer lines.

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2018, 02:44:00 PM »
Thought so, Ill keep with just bleeding the fish. I do however brain if it is a big fish and I am worried its thrashing will break my old stringer lines.

I still do it when I’m concerned about Whitey

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2018, 04:35:24 PM »

I change my stringer mono every year, but regardless whether you string those big Ling Cod through the eyes or the mouth they aren’t going to saw through your line. Just change it when it’s frayed and don’t worry about it. If you run multiple mono stringers keep them on opposite sides of the kayak so they don’t tangle. Personally I use a kui and when I get to the kayak I put the fish on a heavy hoop stringer. I have the hoop stringer on a nylon webbing loop with a big brass clip. This allows the stringer to hang over the side vertically, completely submerged.

rluiz

« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2018, 07:25:54 PM »

I change my stringer mono every year, but regardless whether you string those big Ling Cod through the eyes or the mouth they aren’t going to saw through your line. Just change it when it’s frayed and don’t worry about it. If you run multiple mono stringers keep them on opposite sides of the kayak so they don’t tangle. Personally I use a kui and when I get to the kayak I put the fish on a heavy hoop stringer. I have the hoop stringer on a nylon webbing loop with a big brass clip. This allows the stringer to hang over the side vertically, completely submerged.

Valid point about whitey, never thought about him was always more worried about seals hitting my stringers.  My lines never get frayed interesting enough, just worn out for being tangled or wrapped up so much. Is this what you mean by frayed? I agree about the kui, also if I'm low on weight Ill keep fish on me just to add weight.

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2018, 08:19:16 PM »
Valid point about whitey, never thought about him was always more worried about seals hitting my stringers.  My lines never get frayed interesting enough, just worn out for being tangled or wrapped up so much. Is this what you mean by frayed? I agree about the kui, also if I'm low on weight Ill keep fish on me just to add weight.

Kinda. Any time the line gets pinched or tangled it can cause some damage. A kink can significantly weaken mono. When you see any damage or discoloration you need to examine it to make sure it’s sound. As for seals, I think they are more likely to try and grab a fighting fish than one hanging off a stringer, but you never know.

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt