collapse

Author Topic: Anyone ever have a lingcod try to eat their speared rockfish?  (Read 3889 times)

Offline charlierobinton

Anyone ever have a lingcod try to eat their speared rockfish?
« on: August 30, 2018, 03:03:44 PM »
Hey everyone,

So, I used to live up in Washington and have spent basically my entire adult life working around fishermen, so I hear a lot of fish stories. I've had quite a few anglers over the years tell me stories about big lingcod coming up off the bottom to attack a hooked salmon or engulf a rockfish at the boat. I just got to wondering, does this ever happen with spearos?

I was in Baja a few months ago just poking around on a shore dive and had a small cabrilla on my belt that I'd shot. A cubera in the 40-50lb range came out of the deep blue and hovered very close to me for about 5 minutes. I could tell he wanted to make a snack of my fish. I wasn't prepared for that kind of fight so I let him be... but it convinced me that even on a shallow dive I probably shouldn't be wearing fish on my body down there!

Any lingcod stories out there?

Cheers and safe diving,

Charlie

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
Re: Anyone ever have a lingcod try to eat their speared rockfish?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2018, 04:31:18 PM »
Occasionally Ling Cod will come out of a hole and grab a rock fish or Ling Cod that is shot and making spasmodic movements. That’s one reason I use a backup gun. If you have a gun on a floatline and a Ling Cod takes your fish let her have it. Go back and get your second gun and shoot the Ling if you want it.

I’ve never had a Ling Cod try for a fish on my kui. If it did it wouldn’t be a problem anyway.

Offline TheKeeneroo

• Administrator
  • There's definitely a fish under THIS rock....
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2018, 04:32:30 PM »
That's a great way to bring out the big lingcod for your buddy... shoot a fish, ling comes out to eat it, and buddy gets the ling... lesson is always check the caves first. hahah
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo    Facebook - @Ekeener1
Century Free Diver, Level 1 Free Dive Cert, EANx
DOTY 2018 - 3rd Place
Bring the Ling 2018 - 1st Place (=P)

Offline naturalSelection

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2018, 05:06:04 PM »
I was diving up north a few months back. My buddy shoots like a 12" b&y or something smaller. 32" ling bolts up from the depths and lock jaws his rockfish. The ling was stubborn, so my buddy had enough time to calmly string the ling (haha) through the gills, attach him to the kayak, and remove spear from rockfish. Got a nice ling Cod with no damage to the fillet!

Offline SnailHunter

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2018, 05:28:41 PM »
I had a just shot a black rock fish and was at the surface pulling it up.  A ling chased it but passed the fish and bit my hand.  The teeth went through my 3mm glove and sliced up my hand pretty good.  I spotted him on a few dives but wasn't able to land a shot on him.

Offline charlierobinton

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2018, 11:34:04 AM »
Awesome stories guys! And some nice tips thrown in too!

Offline Mike n

• MAN Mid-Handles
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2018, 12:04:27 PM »
I had several fish on my shooting line, the gun was loaded on the bottom at the end of my float line.  While breathing up I watched a ling try to eat some of my fish.  On the way down I pulled the gun away from the ling and shot it.

MN

Offline Seadog

• Josh T
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2018, 02:26:10 PM »
Haha. Yup! Just a couple weekends ago I was diving in Sonoma and left my gun on the bottom marking a large, nice looking hole. I had a blue rockfish strung on my shooting line that I actually kinda forgot I had on there. After breathing up and diving back down I noticed my floatline taking a 90 degree turn into the cave. A big ling took the fish along with my entire gun deep into her hole and she did not want to give it up easily. After a great deal of thrashing around and after (what seemed to be) a rather uncomfortable length of time I was able to wrestle my gun back. I waited about 15 mins or so for the dust to settle a bit and went back down to the hole but couldn't see anything. Remarkable the rockfish was still on my shooting line and moderately intact so I stuck my gun as deep as I could and dangled the fish around and sure enough a big head emerged quickly outta the murk to investigate and I was able to pull off a clean shot. 16 pounder, was worth the fight!

Offline John

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2018, 12:16:40 PM »
First ling I ever shot was still my PB. I didn't know anything about ike jime or gill ripping so I hugged her against my chest while she thrashed about and wrestled her into my float. Next thing I know, my float is deflated and sinking. She bit a huge bite out of my float tube! All I kept thinking was that she could have bit my throat!
Every generation imagines itself to be more intelligent than the one that went before it, and wiser than the one that comes after it. -Orwell

Offline TheKeeneroo

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2018, 09:01:31 AM »
Haha. Yup! Just a couple weekends ago I was diving in Sonoma and left my gun on the bottom marking a large, nice looking hole. I had a blue rockfish strung on my shooting line that I actually kinda forgot I had on there. After breathing up and diving back down I noticed my floatline taking a 90 degree turn into the cave. A big ling took the fish along with my entire gun deep into her hole and she did not want to give it up easily. After a great deal of thrashing around and after (what seemed to be) a rather uncomfortable length of time I was able to wrestle my gun back. I waited about 15 mins or so for the dust to settle a bit and went back down to the hole but couldn't see anything. Remarkable the rockfish was still on my shooting line and moderately intact so I stuck my gun as deep as I could and dangled the fish around and sure enough a big head emerged quickly outta the murk to investigate and I was able to pull off a clean shot. 16 pounder, was worth the fight!

This story is epic!
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward

Eric, Pacific Grove
DOTY 2018 - 3rd Place

Offline TheKeeneroo

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2018, 09:02:53 AM »
First ling I ever shot was still my PB. I didn't know anything about ike jime or gill ripping so I hugged her against my chest while she thrashed about and wrestled her into my float. Next thing I know, my float is deflated and sinking. She bit a huge bite out of my float tube! All I kept thinking was that she could have bit my throat!

Doming/braining and gilling is definitely worth it for the sake of the meat and the humane treatment of the fish. There are several how to's on Youtube. Let me know if you'd like help figuring it out.

Eric, Pacific Grove
DOTY 2018 - 3rd Place

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2018, 09:42:11 AM »

Doming/braining and gilling is definitely worth it for the sake of the meat and the humane treatment of the fish. There are several how to's on Youtube. Let me know if you'd like help figuring it out.

If you brain a fish it will die, but if you cut the gills the heart will pump out all of the blood and the meat will be better. Better to cut the gills.

Offline kodama

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2018, 12:29:14 PM »
I do both ike jime to kill the fish asap preventing the build up of lactic acid and then cut the gills.
The blood still leaks out maybe not as fast as with a beating heart but I am not sure if that’s really necessary.  Preventing possible sourness I because of lactic acid I find most important.

If you have the ability to put the fish on ice straight away that might help too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2018, 01:09:18 PM »
I do both ike jime to kill the fish asap preventing the build up of lactic acid and then cut the gills.
The blood still leaks out maybe not as fast as with a beating heart but I am not sure if that’s really necessary.  Preventing possible sourness I because of lactic acid I find most important.

If you have the ability to put the fish on ice straight away that might help too.

What type of fish are you shooting that get acidosis?

Offline MinnowHunter

• I like the rub. Feel the burn
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2018, 02:59:14 PM »

What type of fish are you shooting that get acidosis?

Does it moo? i heard if there diet changes to rapidly to rich grass or grains it can be a problem.Would need one big cooler to get a moo fish in there.

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt