collapse

Author Topic: Anyone ever have a lingcod try to eat their speared rockfish?  (Read 2951 times)

Offline TheKeeneroo

• Administrator
  • There's definitely a fish under THIS rock....
Re: Anyone ever have a lingcod try to eat their speared rockfish?
« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2018, 10:45:18 AM »
I was yak diving yesterday, shot a pretty big blue, and while I was bringing it up, had a ling in the 28" range swim up from 40' below to munch it at the surface! haha it almost stuck around long enough for me to shoot it, but alas, I looked away to load my band and it was gone. I kept the fish on the line and sunk the gun in hopes to draw it back out, but no luck.

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo    Facebook - @Ekeener1
Century Free diver, Level 1 Free Dive Cert, EANx
DOTY 2018 - 3rd Place
Bring the Ling 2018 - 1st Place (=P)

Offline Tez

« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2018, 04:00:59 PM »
The biggest ling I've shot so far was trying to steal a 25" ling from my spear in about 10' of water.  She came out of nowhere the second I pulled the trigger on the first one.  I tried to keep my cool and move slowly and smoothly, but she wasn't intimidated at all.  I actually prodded her back a few times with the spear as I slowly loaded without looking at my gun.  I didn't even wrap the line, but made sure to pull both bands.  Point blank stone shot.  A huge sea lion came in to check out the commotion, and I quickly made my way for shore (shore dive). 

Seems to be pretty common, they are some hungry beasties  ;D

Offline TheKeeneroo

• Administrator
  • There's definitely a fish under THIS rock....
« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2018, 04:03:26 PM »
Yep!

Here is a quick video of the ling footage
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo    Facebook - @Ekeener1
Century Free diver, Level 1 Free Dive Cert, EANx
DOTY 2018 - 3rd Place
Bring the Ling 2018 - 1st Place (=P)

Offline Diver Dan

• Dan Romo
    • Studio Romo (My shop: Metal Fabrication, Sculpture restoration, Patina, Cast Bronze, etc)
« Reply #49 on: November 23, 2018, 11:04:50 AM »
I've been contemplating getting a mini pneumatic to carry on my leg (it comes with a holster) as a back up.

https://www.leisurepro.com/p-mrss/mares-sten-pneumatic-spear-guns

Any use one of these? Looks like it would have enough power for a point blank shot on a big ling. Thoughts?

Offline Tez

« Reply #50 on: November 23, 2018, 05:08:34 PM »
I've been contemplating getting a mini pneumatic to carry on my leg (it comes with a holster) as a back up.

Any use one of these? Looks like it would have enough power for a point blank shot on a big ling. Thoughts?

Joe (Dogpaddle) Uses the medium version of that gun as his main, I think.  He kills a lot of fish.

The little ones strapped to a leg seem like a good way to shoot yourself in the calf  ;D

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: November 23, 2018, 07:03:14 PM »

I thought about it. I just decided to use a pathos 60 because with the rear mech it’s pretty short. I would be concerned about shooting myself and hanging up on the kayak. I still like the idea for abalone or scallop diving, but instead I carry the 60 and put the iron on my leg.

I always wondered how easy they are to load and how noisy they are under water.

Offline dogpaddle

• Work...Whats that?
    • https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_hI3a6Voyhx839MAaNlxvA
« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2018, 07:48:50 PM »

I have The Sten Mini mini (with the leg holster), the mini, and the medi (my main gun).  Love using the pneumatic.  It is a little loud underwater but the fish dont seem to care or hide because of the noise. Plus their usually swinging around the shaft after it makes a noise anyway. I agree that it's an  accident waiting to happen if you have it loaded around your leg though. I hear some divers will attach it to a dive bag though to have it with them if their prying scallops of rocks. Never saw the need myself since my gun is usually marking the spot I'm diving anyway if I'm not shooting fish at the time.
Oh and yes you can kill a nice ling with one. The big advantage is you can swing that thing around about as fast as you can swing your hand around with no gun in it it's so small and solid. Easy for quick and easy shot placement.
SPONSERED BY THE BATMAN AND AQUAMAN FOUNDATION

Offline naturalSelection

« Reply #53 on: November 23, 2018, 08:24:32 PM »
I was considering the mares Cyrano 42, basically the cheaper version of the sten.

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt