collapse

Author Topic: Anyone ever have a lingcod try to eat their speared rockfish?  (Read 3495 times)

Offline ryang85

Re: Anyone ever have a lingcod try to eat their speared rockfish?
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2018, 08:50:38 PM »
Of course it would. Without the heart the only way to get the blood out, or the lactic acid for that matter, is for gravity to drain it or for pressure to squeeze it out. Since we hang the fish by the head it won’t drain and I doubt the pressure pushing nearly equal on all sides will force much blood out at all. Lactic acid may cease to build up but it will never be reduced as it is carried out of the muscles through the blood stream. The best way to purge the fish is to bleed it. That’s why commercial hook and line guys take the time to bleed fish even though it makes a huge mess and that have to constantly wash down the deck. They wouldn’t waste the time or effort if it didn’t make a difference.
The way we always have bled salmon and albacore commercially was to knock it out with a club then bleed it by pulling a gill. Rockfish and  all types of cod generally arnt bled in the commercial and charter business. I personally dont notice if a ling has been bled or not, i used to pull the gills but now i just brain them to speed up the process a touch. It does seem to get fishy when it is sitting in a kayak for half the day.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Alfonso

« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2018, 09:01:38 PM »
Valid point about whitey, never thought about him was always more worried about seals hitting my stringers.  My lines never get frayed interesting enough, just worn out for being tangled or wrapped up so much. Is this what you mean by frayed? I agree about the kui, also if I'm low on weight Ill keep fish on me just to add weight.

Kinda. Any time the line gets pinched or tangled it can cause some damage. A kink can significantly weaken mono. When you see any damage or discoloration you need to examine it to make sure it’s sound. As for seals, I think they are more likely to try and grab a fighting fish than one hanging off a stringer, but you never know.

Vinyl coated cable works great for stringers- flexible, durable, and cheap. If the fish have teeth, give them something to grind on.

https://catchalltackle.com/49-strand-stainless-steel-cable-black-vinyl-coated-500-spool-100-crimps/

Stun, bleed, pith.

YMMV

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2018, 09:46:18 PM »
Valid point about whitey, never thought about him was always more worried about seals hitting my stringers.  My lines never get frayed interesting enough, just worn out for being tangled or wrapped up so much. Is this what you mean by frayed? I agree about the kui, also if I'm low on weight Ill keep fish on me just to add weight.

Kinda. Any time the line gets pinched or tangled it can cause some damage. A kink can significantly weaken mono. When you see any damage or discoloration you need to examine it to make sure it’s sound. As for seals, I think they are more likely to try and grab a fighting fish than one hanging off a stringer, but you never know.

Vinyl coated cable works great for stringers- flexible, durable, and cheap. If the fish have teeth, give them something to grind on.

https://catchalltackle.com/49-strand-stainless-steel-cable-black-vinyl-coated-500-spool-100-crimps/

Stun, bleed, pith.

YMMV

I had a coated cable cable years ago. I had an issue with the looped part that wasnt coated, when it frayed and stabbed me in the hands.  The bare cable part can also sawed partially through the eye sockets as the fish bounced up and down on the swell.  I was also concerned that when I wore it on my waist that I wouldn’t be able to break it, or that it wouldn’t break if I needed it to.

Alfonso

« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2018, 04:24:27 AM »

Stun, bleed, pith.

YMMV

I had a coated cable cable years ago. I had an issue with the looped part that wasnt coated, when it frayed and stabbed me in the hands.  The bare cable part can also sawed partially through the eye sockets as the fish bounced up and down on the swell.  I was also concerned that when I wore it on my waist that I wouldn’t be able to break it, or that it wouldn’t break if I needed it to.

True, cable can present its own set of challenges. I use a thinner coated cable that can easily be cut with my serrated knife. Chafe tubing solves the problems created by bare cable.

https://catchalltackle.com/luminous-glow-chafing-tubing-1-4mm-2-6mm-10-coils/

Offline NorCal DiverDave

• Fish on
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/NCUWHdiverdave
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2018, 09:24:38 PM »
Ive had lings try to take my rockfish a few times. The lings I can handle, its when the seals take the fish off my stringer is when it gets tricky. Ive also had lingcod bite my ab iron when I drop the iron to search an area for abs, attached to float line.

Cut the gills and let them bleed out.

Offline Diver Dan

• Dan Romo
    • Studio Romo (My shop: Metal Fabrication, Sculpture restoration, Patina, Cast Bronze, etc)
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2018, 07:32:44 AM »
I had several fish on my shooting line, the gun was loaded on the bottom at the end of my float line.  While breathing up I watched a ling try to eat some of my fish.  On the way down I pulled the gun away from the ling and shot it.

MN

Mike, have you ever made a double barrel speargun for this purpose? Neptonics makes a double trigger but I can't find much on designs for a gun using one. Last month this happened to me 3 times in one day from 3 different lings. On one of them I was able to tease the ling with my fish dangling on my shoot line long enough for me to reload as best as I could with an open barrel. I rushed it a bit and only loaded 1 band, took the shot, nice shot, but not enough penetration and it tore off.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 07:38:57 AM by Diver Dan »

Offline Yowlie

« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2018, 08:56:13 AM »
"Never roll with just one gun, bro."  blOOdbath

Offline Mike n

• MAN Mid-Handles
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2018, 09:14:24 AM »
I haven’t made one but could give it a try. I’m pretty sure the double mech is for an over under shaft arrangement.  A short nor cal gun would be a heavy sinker.
MN

Offline ryang85

« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2018, 10:50:20 AM »
I haven’t made one but could give it a try. I’m pretty sure the double mech is for an over under shaft arrangement.  A short nor cal gun would be a heavy sinker.
MN
I looked at making one, while it could be cool it would be a bulky and heavy with bands and 2 shafts on top and bottom, and wrapping line on the sides would create some huge potential  tangles when 2 shafts are out. when a ling pops out either grab the gun from the kayak or let the ling take the fish and follow it to its hole. Most of the time they will just sit there trying to swallow the fish and you can reload.

Offline Amsmosh

« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2018, 12:13:24 PM »
I have had this happen many times. Here is one instance I got on video.

God grant me the vision to dream of catching fish, the focus to visualize myself catching fish, the faith to believe that I will catch fish, and the wisdom to keep the freezer stocked with hamburgers and hot dogs.

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2018, 02:06:21 PM »
MN
I looked at making one, while it could be cool it would be a bulky and heavy with bands and 2 shafts on top and bottom, and wrapping line on the sides would create some huge potential  tangles when 2 shafts are out. when a ling pops out either grab the gun from the kayak or let the ling take the fish and follow it to its hole. Most of the time they will just sit there trying to swallow the fish and you can reload.

Hmmm

On a previous post you corrected me about cf gun, that it’s not “light” because it’s buoyancy that matters, or something like that.  Now you are contradicting yourself and talking about a gun being heavier.  This is why people need to be careful who they take advice from.

Offline ryang85

« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2018, 02:32:22 PM »
MN

Hmmm

On a previous post you corrected me about cf gun, that it’s not “light” because it’s buoyancy that matters, or something like that.  Now you are contradicting yourself and talking about a gun being heavier.  This is why people need to be careful who they take advice from.
You would be correct in the part about checking who you get info from, feel free to check my math and correct me when I'm wrong, I still havnt compleated my engineering degree but a lot of this is taught in high school physics and calc .

it is more dense with a higher amount of steel compared to wood therfore It would be "heavier" underwater.  Foam plugs might be able to adjust net density but it would take a lot of plugs that compromise the integrity of the wood
The last example used carbon vs. aluminum guns which are weighted down to have equal buoyancy and density as each other so weight underwater is equal.

Using the word heavier or lighter are sort of dangerous words and leave room for missinterprtiations,    saying the extra shaft would make the gun have a higher  net density,  would be more accurate in this case.

Mass and weight are often confused, weight is a force and mass is a measurement. 

« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 02:35:30 PM by ryang85 »

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2018, 07:09:01 PM »
Yeah, I agree.  You are the one who misinterpreted what I said when you made an assumption about what I meant instead of reading what I wrote. Maybe you should squeeze in an English class with your high school physics and calculus.

Offline Tez

« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2018, 07:20:42 PM »
O snap

Offline divenfish

« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2018, 08:45:46 PM »
I used to have a Picasso Century twin over/under speargun. The under shaft was shorter (Top 90 cm /bottom 60 cm)
It was a PIA, tangle city, once both shafts are deployed.
Carry second gun or practice your ling noodling :)

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt