collapse

Author Topic: DIY - Shaping Pathos Foot pockets (with pics)  (Read 1789 times)

Offline TheKeeneroo

• Administrator
  • There's definitely a fish under THIS rock....
DIY - Shaping Pathos Foot pockets (with pics)
« on: August 20, 2018, 09:08:14 AM »
Parviz at Red Triangle Spearfishing gave me a deal too good to pass up on a new pair of Subcraft blades with Pathos Foot pockets. If you haven't hit him up for gear, make it your first stop.

There are several DIY forum posts out there with notes on how to shape the foot pockets and it was easier than I expected.

- Get a tub of cold water ready that can fit the foot pocket in.
- Wrap foot pocket in a towel to create an "oven" effect and aim the hot hair dryer into the foot pocket (with the level of heat my wife's hair dryer puts out, i kept it about 3" from the surface), moving around so as not to overheat one area.
- Put 1 regular sock on under your neoprene sock and when the rubber is soft and hot to the touch, gently put the fin on. I pushed my fin toward my foot in areas that needed it and then other areas needed to be stretched (like my big toe).
- Once I was confident it fit well, I submerged it in the cold water (while still on my foot) for about 1 min.

It worked great and now I have a left and right specific fin. It's easy to tell just by the toe line, but I also marked the underside.

P.s. Carbon fins are amazing.

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo    Facebook - @Ekeener1
Century Free diver, Level 1 Free Dive Cert, EANx
DOTY 2018 - 3rd Place
Bring the Ling 2018 - 1st Place (=P)

Offline DG

Re: DIY - Shaping Pathos Foot pockets (with pics)
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2018, 01:25:02 PM »
Damn, wish I would have seen this sooner.  I walked on hot coals with mine.  Worked great but left a few marks and got my feet a little hot. 

All that new gear you should be hitting 100’ with 3 kicks. 

Still busy for a few more weeks then going to try and make a trip down south and maybe we can get a dive in. 

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2018, 02:04:24 PM »
Which fins a stiffness did you end up getting?

Offline TheKeeneroo

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2018, 03:00:09 PM »
Damn, wish I would have seen this sooner.  I walked on hot coals with mine.  Worked great but left a few marks and got my feet a little hot. 

All that new gear you should be hitting 100’ with 3 kicks. 

Still busy for a few more weeks then going to try and make a trip down south and maybe we can get a dive in.

You betcha. I'm going diving next week to see max depth.

Come on down! The water has been like a lake this week! I'm hopping in tomorrow night just cause it's such good conditions right now.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward

Eric, Pacific Grove
DOTY 2018 - 3rd Place

Offline TheKeeneroo

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2018, 04:15:28 PM »

After a LOT of reading, i decided to try medium first, before trying soft. I know you would have persuaded me otherwise =P

Eric, Pacific Grove
DOTY 2018 - 3rd Place

Offline Finsup

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2018, 04:38:01 PM »
You should read the latest article about fins on FB page Hawaii Freediving. The guy who wrote it was the national record holder at 101 meters, Kurt Chambers. He has some interesting things to say about fins...and backs it up by posting video of his dives.

Offline ryang85

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2018, 09:39:14 PM »

After a LOT of reading, i decided to try medium first, before trying soft. I know you would have persuaded me otherwise =P
For how skinny I am i should be using softs. I have medium C4s and think they are way better than softs when trying to kick around in shallow against surge and kicking on the surface.  Too bad i dont do either as often as i used to anymore because Ab season isnt open. Im sure youl like then a lot more as time goes on and you get used to them.   And if you are planning a bluewater trip any time soon I highly recomend getting some flashy ducktape and giving them some bling.  Ive had multiple dorado and sierra chase my fins.  Ive had a few lings follow me up to the surface but it isnt too often.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline DG

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2018, 12:42:52 AM »
And if you are planning a bluewater trip any time soon I highly recomend getting some flashy ducktape and giving them some bling.  Ive had multiple dorado and sierra chase my fins.  Ive had a few lings follow me up to the surface but it isnt too often.
I was hesitant to do that because I didn’t want sharks getting any ideas about tasting a fin or leg.  But can only guess it’s better than the other end.  Maybe next south trip. 

Offline TheKeeneroo

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2018, 08:43:44 AM »

For how skinny I am i should be using softs. I have medium C4s and think they are way better than softs when trying to kick around in shallow against surge and kicking on the surface.  Too bad i dont do either as often as i used to anymore because Ab season isnt open. Im sure youl like then a lot more as time goes on and you get used to them.   And if you are planning a bluewater trip any time soon I highly recomend getting some flashy ducktape and giving them some bling.  Ive had multiple dorado and sierra chase my fins.  Ive had a few lings follow me up to the surface but it isnt too often.

That's the plan once I put a few miles on them. Hoping to hit the islands soon. I'll also be diving hawaii a few times later this year. still need to figure out which fish don't have Cig (aka cfp)

Eric, Pacific Grove
DOTY 2018 - 3rd Place

Offline the_derek

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2018, 09:11:14 AM »
And if you are planning a bluewater trip any time soon I highly recomend getting some flashy ducktape and giving them some bling.  Ive had multiple dorado and sierra chase my fins.  Ive had a few lings follow me up to the surface but it isnt too often.
I was hesitant to do that because I didn’t want sharks getting any ideas about tasting a fin or leg.  But can only guess it’s better than the other end.  Maybe next south trip.

I have Ryan's old blades with the flashy ducktape sill on them, and I just had a ling come out and follow me on Sunday, I figure it was the flash on the fins... or maybe it was the new pissette.
Death is very often referred to as a good career move.

-Buddy Holly

Insta  @_the_derek_

Offline dogpaddle

• Work...Whats that?
    • https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_hI3a6Voyhx839MAaNlxvA
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2018, 09:13:33 AM »
Your good. You wear a shark shield. Bling away!
SPONSERED BY THE BATMAN AND AQUAMAN FOUNDATION

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2018, 01:03:14 PM »

I have Ryan's old blades with the flashy ducktape sill on them, and I just had a ling come out and follow me on Sunday, I figure it was the flash on the fins... or maybe it was the new pissette.

Had to be the flashers.

Offline the_derek

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2018, 01:40:00 PM »

Had to be the flashers.

IDK Rob... That pissette flapping in the current might have just done the trick...
Death is very often referred to as a good career move.

-Buddy Holly

Insta  @_the_derek_

Offline ryang85

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2018, 01:41:00 PM »

Had to be the flashers.

IDK Rob... That pissette flapping in the current might have just done the trick...

Put some flashy tape on it, it would be irresistible

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2018, 01:44:48 PM »

Had to be the flashers.

Put some flashy tape on it, it would be irresistible

Ryan, you might want revisit your last statement, unless you really are irresistibly attracted to Derek’s pissette.

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt