collapse

Author Topic: 3rd recreational Urchin removal event scheduled for September 29-30, at Ocean Co  (Read 4108 times)

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
The 3rd recreational Urchin removal event scheduled for September 29-30, at Ocean Cove campground.

Facebook event page
https://www.facebook.com/events/1778975602197341/

September 29 – September 30
Sep 29 at 8 AM to Sep 30 at 1 PM

Ocean Cove Store & Campground
23125 Coast Highway One, Jenner, California 95450
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

Offline Plesios

I'm new to the bay, and to freediving (0 xp in scuba), but half the reason I started all this was for the abalone! And now that I can't get any, I wish to help! Is there any way a noob like myself can assist in the operation? I'm hoping to get a kayak soon, but if not I'd like to do something.

Offline TheKeeneroo

• Administrator
  • There's definitely a fish under THIS rock....
I'm new to the bay, and to freediving (0 xp in scuba), but half the reason I started all this was for the abalone! And now that I can't get any, I wish to help! Is there any way a noob like myself can assist in the operation? I'm hoping to get a kayak soon, but if not I'd like to do something.

Help is always needed and there will likely be a kayak for you to borrow. even free diving you can get urchins! def go to meet people, to dive, and to spearfish!
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo    Facebook - @Ekeener1
Century Free diver, Level 1 Free Dive Cert, EANx
DOTY 2018 - 3rd Place
Bring the Ling 2018 - 1st Place (=P)

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
I will be unavailable in September.

Offline fishbutt21

• Matt from Sonoma
My wife and I will be there with Kayaks Saturday morning
I am afraid after I am dead my wife will sell all my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it

Offline Plesios

Help is always needed and there will likely be a kayak for you to borrow. even free diving you can get urchins! def go to meet people, to dive, and to spearfish!

Thanks a lot! Can't wait to help out and make new friends!

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
Ocean Cove has approved a free group site for campers volunteering with the urchin removal project the weekend of September 29-30.  Space is limited so call the camp store and let them know you're coming for the event.  (707) 847-3422
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

Offline CaExplorer

Unfortunately I'm on Dad duty that weekend. Is there anything we could do to help out of the water? Little dude is 3.

Cheers,
Chris
Right now, you are exactly where you are supposed to be.

Offline Joshua R.

Absolutely. 

Offline jrstach

I’ll be there! What is the preferred removal method if your freediving?

Offline fishbutt21

• Matt from Sonoma
Picking them up with my hands and putting them in a bag that I hang off my abalone float works well for me
I am afraid after I am dead my wife will sell all my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it

Offline Sir Rob IV

I have heard a small handheld garden rake works wonders.

Offline dogpaddle

• Work...Whats that?
    • https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_hI3a6Voyhx839MAaNlxvA
I second just using your hand. Its probably the most productive method for free diving. No matter what you use you're going to need tweezers at the end of the day.
SPONSERED BY THE BATMAN AND AQUAMAN FOUNDATION

Offline TheKeeneroo

• Administrator
  • There's definitely a fish under THIS rock....
I second just using your hand. Its probably the most productive method for free diving. No matter what you use you're going to need tweezers at the end of the day.

+1. I tried the trowel for a while but the most efficient use is just thick gloves and sweeping several off the rock into a pile and loading that pile into the bag. You will need tweezers for sure.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo    Facebook - @Ekeener1
Century Free diver, Level 1 Free Dive Cert, EANx
DOTY 2018 - 3rd Place
Bring the Ling 2018 - 1st Place (=P)

Offline fishbutt21

• Matt from Sonoma

+1. I tried the trowel for a while but the most efficient use is just thick gloves and sweeping several off the rock into a pile and loading that pile into the bag. You will need tweezers for sure.
I went to Harbor Freight and bought some cheap canvas/leather gloves for the next dive just to try and cut down on tweezer time

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt