collapse

Author Topic: Broke a carbon fiber fin today.  (Read 314 times)

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
Broke a carbon fiber fin today.
« on: August 30, 2018, 10:36:55 PM »
I must have pushed off of the rocks too hard.

I was diving 40’ all day in the boulders. When I got on the kayak to leave I noticed my bleutec checkmate looked like it had a crease in it. When I checked it out it was cracked diagonally from half way up to half way across the end of the blade.

I have put these fins through a lot over the last few years. I know I abused them more than I should but they took the abuse so I just quit worrying about them.

Even though they broke I think that they are still the best fins I’ve ever had.

Luckily I have two more pairs of cf fins. Time to start using the Omer’s and see how they match up.

Offline DG

Re: Broke a carbon fiber fin today.
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2018, 08:22:28 AM »
I have three years on my bleutecs and hope they don’t give up anytime soon.

Offline Sir Rob IV

Re: Broke a carbon fiber fin today.
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2018, 08:40:02 AM »
Did you notice they where caught on anything to make them fold laterally on any of your ascents? I agree with you and DG my carbon fins, bought used, have lasted 4+ years. For anyone knew to carbons or thinking about buying them but are worried about breaking them. The best way to crack them is when they are folded down the middle, this usually happens when you store them on a trip and put gear on top. So always store your fins on top of your gear, in the car or kayak, is my general rule.

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt