collapse

Author Topic: Shot in the Dark - Carbon Blades?  (Read 598 times)

Offline TheKeeneroo

• Administrator
  • There's definitely a fish under THIS rock....
Shot in the Dark - Carbon Blades?
« on: July 17, 2018, 08:17:37 AM »
I have Mares (Razor pro) pockets, but would like to upgrade to carbon fiber blades. Anyone have thoughts on best blade for Monterey hole hunting (mainly shore diving to 50-70ft). Better yet, anyone have a pair they'd part with? I just got a D4f for my anniversary gift so not sure we have an extra $300 for fins. It was kind of an either or type deal  :P Stoked to start using the D4f!
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo    Facebook - @Ekeener1
Century Free Diver, Level 1 Free Dive Cert, EANx
DOTY 2018 - 3rd Place
Bring the Ling 2018 - 1st Place (=P)

Offline DG

Re: Shot in the Dark - Carbon Blades?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 09:08:04 AM »
Happy anniversary

You already have long fins so if your legs are not hurting don’t rush the purchase.  Try some carbon fibers to see if they even help with depth before upgrading.  I had plastic long fins that caused leg fatigue so I upgraded.  I have also tried some relatively low price fiberglass fins that felt as good as my expensive carbon fiber ones.  And they were half the price. 

What size foot? 

Offline TheKeeneroo

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 09:35:32 AM »
Happy anniversary

You already have long fins so if your legs are not hurting don’t rush the purchase.  Try some carbon fibers to see if they even help with depth before upgrading.  I had plastic long fins that caused leg fatigue so I upgraded.  I have also tried some relatively low price fiberglass fins that felt as good as my expensive carbon fiber ones.  And they were half the price. 

What size foot?

I'm a 12. I'm also pretty healthy and in the gym regularly so I'm not sure how tired my legs should or shouldn't be. Of course I get tired with long surface swims. I think what I'd really like is to see how well they improve my bottom time. I typically kick super slow to get down to negative bouyancy, then just sink the rest of the way till I can grab the bottom.

I'd be lying if one of the motivators of carbon fins wasn't to put my new NCUH stickers on them  :P
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward

Eric, Pacific Grove
DOTY 2018 - 3rd Place

Offline DG

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 10:54:53 AM »
You can try mine this weekend if you want.

Offline TheKeeneroo

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2018, 12:16:05 PM »
You can try mine this weekend if you want.

I'd love to!

Eric, Pacific Grove
DOTY 2018 - 3rd Place

Offline Finsup

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2018, 02:09:41 PM »
I know a guy in HI selling molchanovs carbon blades for $270, medium stiffness, brand new. Prolly $300 w shipping added. I agree that you don't need carbons for hole hunting Norcal and fiberglass is a much less expensive and comparable alternative. Depending on the blades, you may well be better off w plastic because they will get you out from shore a lot easier than a nice, soft pair of carbon fins. I have Mares razor carbons and I think they're spiffy, but haven't used plastic long blades to compare them. Found them online for $250 which was crazy, so had to get them and send back the plastics I hadn't worn yet. You're also welcome to try mine out sometime if I ever get down to the south side. A good watch is def more important than fancy fins if you want to stay alive and progress. I know lotsa people in HI who drop >30 meters w plastics all day.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 02:12:57 PM by Finsup »

Offline TheKeeneroo

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2018, 02:12:36 PM »
Those were some of my thoughts as well. I beat my plastics to death. Nice not thinking about it, but if carbon will add to bottom time, I likely will prefer that.

Come on down to my neck of the woods!

Eric, Pacific Grove
DOTY 2018 - 3rd Place

Offline Finsup

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2018, 02:20:26 PM »
Also, if you want more bottom time, cardiovascular exercise and CO2 tables are prolly the best things you can do. Until you black out you're not running out of air, you're just overloading on CO2. And working on strengthening your mammalian dive reflex helps. Facial submersion for 5min, letting cold water into your suit, a couple short drops waiting for contraction, and one FRC before you get serious should help as well if you're not doing any of that already.

Offline TheKeeneroo

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2018, 02:33:21 PM »
The good thing about forums is all the info offered so ive been doing tables for a while, im in the gym regularly, and I've got a pretty solid bottom time at the moment. Just want to stack the cards in my favor with some gear upgrades.

Eric, Pacific Grove
DOTY 2018 - 3rd Place

Offline divenfish

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2018, 08:15:42 PM »
I have a couple Mako FG fins you can try, if you make it to FB to try DGs carbons

Offline Finsup

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2018, 10:00:31 PM »
Sorry, I misread the question. Best blades for Norcal IMHO are plastics because of all the abuse they take, they can easily be lost, and you're not going deep enough that carbons will make much difference. If you want carbons for hole hunting I'd suggest Moana Euro Waterman medium. The reason is that they are short at 74cm so you won't bang them up as much. MStiff because you shore dive and need a fin that will push you the distance. And they are extremely maneuverable due to length and width. They can also drop 40 meters in the tropics no problem, and that is where you will come to truly love them.

I've found Mares Razor carbons online for $275 just now, there are the molchanovs in HI for $270, and Moana is based in San Diego and run $400.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 10:05:44 PM by Finsup »

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2018, 10:41:48 PM »
How much do you weigh?  This will be the most important factor in determining stiffness. I’m 220 and I use soft fins at all depths.

Regardless of how tired your legs feel or don’t feel, you are exerting energy which requires oxygen.

Slow kicking is good but you should mix your kick width and power. Wide and strong at the surface for a few strokes until you get your momentum then narrow the stroke and kick softly until you can fall. Soft and slow on the bottom. When you want to return to the surface the kicks should be wide and strong until you get your momentum then narrow and softer until you can stop and glide to the surface.

As you can see, you’re doing a lot of work. Carbon fiber is more reactive and will make this easier so you’ll expend less energy and conserve more oxygen.

Plastic are shit. They are dead and have no reactivity.

Fiberglass are mid grade. Way better than plastic but heavier and less reactive than carbon fiber.

Carbon fiber is the lightest most reactive fin. Something with a good angle, like 22 degrees (I think) are good for surface swimming.

Fin pockets are your next consideration. Then the brand of fin. These days they all seem to be good. I have Beuchat, Omer, bleu tec and Moana’s. They all work great but the Beuchat are old and heavy. Don’t worry about durability, I’ve beat the hell out of all of my fins and the only ones I broke were plastic.

Offline TheKeeneroo

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2018, 08:22:26 AM »
haha Rob! Excellent advice.

I'm 197lbs mostly fit, 6"3'. I've read most people prefer soft vs medium.

I should have elaborated on kicking, but I do similarly to what you mentioned above with strong then soft kicks. My average bottom time at 30' is about 45-60sec. My static hold is just over 3min currently.

Good to hear that the fins can still be "abused" without total need to pamper them. Looking forward to trying on a pair or two this weekend at the event.

Eric, Pacific Grove
DOTY 2018 - 3rd Place

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2018, 10:31:48 AM »
Besides technique/ability, good gear makes the difference. Wetsuit and fins are obviously the two things that make the biggest difference. When your bottom time is counted in seconds, let’s say 60 seconds, a ten second difference is huge. You can see the difference in bottom times between aspetto and swimming because of oxygen expenditure. Now imagine if your drop and ascent are 10%-20% easier, that will equate to bottom time.

Depth is irrelevant, fins aren’t going to make you able to dive an extra 10 meters. You aren’t setting records. Anyone can dive to depth, once, or at least act like they have. They may have to work their ass off, be out of breath or whatever, but they have the physical ability to hit the mark. The difference is not only bottom time but endurance. How many times can you make the same drop with second rate gear?  Another part of endurance is recovery time. If you are winded you need a longer surface interval, even if you feel recovered. The less you work the quicker you recover, the longer you can dive, the more drops you can make.

With a limited number of water days, you owe it to yourself to make every dive day the best it can be.

Look me up at the urchin event and you can try my fins.

Offline TheKeeneroo

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2018, 10:59:14 AM »
I'm thankful I started off with Jet fins (super short coast guard fins), a 7mil closed cell farmer john that was too small/tight, and a wet noodle pole spear. Each gear upgrade has made significant and noticeable difference over the past few years. I call those the garage sale days but I could still get down there and talk to the fish, even back then.

Now with training, upgraded (mostly) gear, I'd say I'm an above average diver with a fair amount of experience in our local waters. Certainly been putting in the water time the past 12 months.

Grateful for mentors and opinions alike. Looking forward to meeting you.

Eric, Pacific Grove
DOTY 2018 - 3rd Place

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt