collapse

Author Topic: Kayak support Albion urchin removal event  (Read 4421 times)

Offline Joshua R.

Re: Kayak support Albion urchin removal event
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2018, 08:09:05 AM »
I am a little confused on the whole kayak thing. My soft bottom zodiac  is rated for 1200 pounds( including me and my 30hp outboard) . Matt's RIB should be close to double that.    A few trash cans evenly distributed should be ok especially with the high tide entrance.
Are the kayaks for transporting from shallow water to the  boats?  My zodiac can go into pretty shallow water depending on swell and visibility.  I know the RIBs have a deeper and more vulnerable hull so they are limited to about 10 feet if there are no pinicals or sharp currents.

But I plan on crashing at Joes campsite for the weekend unless i have to work.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I don't want motorized vessels transiting over divers.  The kayaks will transit the bags to and from the divers to the boats.

Offline ryang85

« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2018, 08:13:38 AM »
I am a little confused on the whole kayak thing. My soft bottom zodiac  is rated for 1200 pounds( including me and my 30hp outboard) . Matt's RIB should be close to double that.    A few trash cans evenly distributed should be ok especially with the high tide entrance.
Are the kayaks for transporting from shallow water to the  boats?  My zodiac can go into pretty shallow water depending on swell and visibility.  I know the RIBs have a deeper and more vulnerable hull so they are limited to about 10 feet if there are no pinicals or sharp currents.

I don't want motorized vessels transiting over divers.  The kayaks will transit the bags to and from the divers to the boats.
Makes sense,

Offline CaExplorer

« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2018, 08:54:22 AM »
I'm available Saturday and Sunday if you still need more recruits. I don't have a yak and have somewhat limited experience (six trips or so), but would love to help out.

Right now, you are exactly where you are supposed to be.

Offline Joshua R.

« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2018, 09:12:30 AM »
Right on brother.  We'll have kayaks to lend.  See you there.

Offline TheKeeneroo

• Administrator
  • There's definitely a fish under THIS rock....
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2018, 11:06:06 AM »
I'm available Saturday and Sunday if you still need more recruits. I don't have a yak and have somewhat limited experience (six trips or so), but would love to help out.

Def need your help! Let me know if you'd like a few pointers on safety before heading out! I'll be in C21. Name is Eric.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo    Facebook - @Ekeener1
Century Free Diver, Level 1 Free Dive Cert, EANx
DOTY 2018 - 3rd Place
Bring the Ling 2018 - 1st Place (=P)

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2018, 11:46:59 AM »

Ok Ryan, let me splain it to you. Divers have a difficult time hauling bags of urchin, especially on scuba. The kayaks take the urchin from the divers to the boats. Nobody wants boats running around while they are diving. The threat of boat strike and just the sound of a prop turning overhead is unnerving, particularly because you can’t tell where the boat is or from which direction the sound comes from. You are welcome to bring your boats at Josh’s discretion and direction, but not to run around the dive area.

Offline Joshua R.

« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2018, 12:42:53 PM »
And we do need boats. Boats ferry divers out, kayaks ferry urchin bags to and fro. 

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2018, 10:54:52 AM »
so how we looking on Kayak support ?? do we have a good amount of volunteers ? also any idea how many boats are being brought up ? 
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

THANK YOU TO MY AWESOME SPONSORS

Offline fishbutt21

• Matt from Sonoma
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2018, 12:43:38 PM »
so how we looking on Kayak support ?? do we have a good amount of volunteers ? also any idea how many boats are being brought up ?
I had planned on bringing my 14ft soft hull inflatable to carry divers
I am afraid after I am dead my wife will sell all my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2018, 10:04:10 PM »

So far about five. How many divers are we expecting?

Offline lazyhook

« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2018, 10:25:13 PM »
I'm planning to be there both days.  I'll have a kayak.  I'm OK either way with doing a little diving or just doing topside support.

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2018, 11:37:18 PM »
Thanks Lazyhook.

Long time, no see.

Offline fishbutt21

• Matt from Sonoma
« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2018, 12:58:55 AM »

There will be my son and I diving and my wife will be there to do top side support like run a boat to move divers or what ever is needed
I am afraid after I am dead my wife will sell all my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2018, 06:16:35 AM »
Jason and I will be there with 2 boats and 3 kayaks and will help transport Divers and if possible try and do some removal as well.
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

THANK YOU TO MY AWESOME SPONSORS

Offline Joshua R.

« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2018, 06:26:58 AM »

Last time we had 100.  This time I'm shooting for 150

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt