collapse

Author Topic: Albion River Fishing Help  (Read 790 times)

Offline arichard

• The Purple Nightmare! Documentary
Albion River Fishing Help
« on: July 01, 2018, 02:59:26 PM »
I'm heading down to help at the Purple Urchin Removal Event July 21st and 22nd. My lady friend and I, are going up a few days earlier to relax and it's our first time at this location. We're not bringing a boat, but thought about renting kayaks while we're down there. We wanted to do some fishing, and soak some pots for Dungeness crab. I've done some research, and I seen some of the species commonly caught there, but what type of tackle, set-ups, and presentations are used out there? Are there shore opportunities, or is a kayak or boat mandatory? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Offline Ptown707

Re: Albion River Fishing Help
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2018, 03:19:31 PM »
I think the season is closed for crab, you might want to check into that. And for fishing rockfish will hit most lures (swimbaits, jigs etc) and lingcod will hit almost anything even a 9/16” open end wrench
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 03:25:29 PM by Ianz415 »
"Out of water, I am nothing." Duke Kahanamoku

Offline bythog

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2018, 03:58:06 PM »
I think the season is closed for crab, you might want to check into that. And for fishing rockfish will hit most lures (swimbaits, jigs etc) and lingcod will hit almost anything even a 9/16” open end wrench

I think dungeness season is only closed south of Mendocino County. Should still be good to go in Albion.

As for OP: I've had tons of luck with crabs in the inlets right by the campground. Bring a crab snare and a strong pole and you can catch a dozen or so in less than an hour just from the shore.

Offline Ptown707

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2018, 04:16:22 PM »

I think dungeness season is only closed south of Mendocino County. Should still be good to go in Albion.

As for OP: I've had tons of luck with crabs in the inlets right by the campground. Bring a crab snare and a strong pole and you can catch a dozen or so in less than an hour just from the shore.

Yea I forgot the season is a month longer
"Out of water, I am nothing." Duke Kahanamoku

Offline arichard

• The Purple Nightmare! Documentary
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2018, 04:26:38 PM »
Thanks for the replies, yes dungeness crab season is open until the end of July.

Offline fishbutt21

• Matt from Sonoma
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2018, 05:38:46 PM »
I'm heading down to help at the Purple Urchin Removal Event July 21st and 22nd. My lady friend and I, are going up a few days earlier to relax and it's our first time at this location. We're not bringing a boat, but thought about renting kayaks while we're down there. We wanted to do some fishing, and soak some pots for Dungeness crab. I've done some research, and I seen some of the species commonly caught there, but what type of tackle, set-ups, and presentations are used out there? Are there shore opportunities, or is a kayak or boat mandatory? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
What camp site # are you in?  I will be in C27 with my Wife and son
I will be there Friday mid afternoon and I am bringing my inflatable, I can bring some crab pots to drop and maybe we can work out a trade for crab if you can cook them for me, saves me from dragging my big steamer pot up there :D
I also plan to do some fishing for camp meat.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 05:41:22 PM by fishbutt21 »
I am afraid after I am dead my wife will sell all my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt