collapse

Author Topic: Yak Radio  (Read 603 times)

Offline Salifornia

Yak Radio
« on: May 26, 2018, 07:38:04 AM »
Just got a kayak.  Trying to be safe and prepared.   Thinking about getting a radio for comms.  Any suggestions?

Offline 123ENGINEERING

Re: Yak Radio
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2018, 05:16:23 AM »
I have been using Standard Horizon HX300 Standard HX300 Handheld VHF Marine Radio for a couple years and been happy with its performance and long lasting battery life.  I am sure they have a later model with better performance.

Offline TheKeeneroo

• Administrator
  • There's definitely a fish under THIS rock....
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 02:57:33 PM »
Standard Horizon hx870 GPS + VHF

GPS is awesome to mark fishing spots and let coast guard know how many miles out to sea you are  :P
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo    Facebook - @Ekeener1
Century Free Diver, Level 1 Free Dive Cert, EANx
DOTY 2018 - 3rd Place
Bring the Ling 2018 - 1st Place (=P)

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 04:02:41 PM »
I would spend the money on dive gear rather than a radio. I have had a radio for years but never had need of it. I don't even take it with me now. It's a good addition to your gear but it would be the last piece I'd buy.

Offline TheKeeneroo

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2018, 04:05:09 PM »
I would spend the money on dive gear rather than a radio. I have had a radio for years but never had need of it. I don't even take it with me now. It's a good addition to your gear but it would be the last piece I'd buy.

While I totally understand what you mean in never needing it, I'd hate to need it and not have it. I'd say shark shield would be my last equipment purchase, if any.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward

Eric, Pacific Grove
DOTY 2018 - 3rd Place

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2018, 04:13:38 PM »

While I totally understand what you mean in never needing it, I'd hate to need it and not have it. I'd say shark shield would be my last equipment purchase, if any.

Needing something and not having it applies to everything, but a radio isn't going to help with anything except talking to another fisherman. It won't summon help in time and if you are able to get on the kayak to use it you can paddle in or use a cell phone. 

Offline TheKeeneroo

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2018, 04:17:09 PM »

I'm curious, do you happen to know the average response time of coast guard if the distress button is pushed? I don't know what it is and would be interested in learning. P.s. I also don't use my radio =P I just want to make sure I promote safety.

Needing something and not having it applies to everything, but a radio isn't going to help with anything except talking to another fisherman. It won't summon help in time and if you are able to get on the kayak to use it you can paddle in or use a cell phone.

Eric, Pacific Grove
DOTY 2018 - 3rd Place

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2018, 04:44:00 PM »
Response time depends on distance and what they send. Radio range from a kayak may not be more than a mile or two.

How long does it take to drown or bleed out?  A radio is good if you are in a fishing tournament but a handheld radio 2 1/2 feet off the water has a short range.

Offline ryang85

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2018, 08:17:59 PM »
Response time depends on distance and what they send. Radio range from a kayak may not be more than a mile or two.

How long does it take to drown or bleed out?  A radio is good if you are in a fishing tournament but a handheld radio 2 1/2 feet off the water has a short range.
We pulled some stranded kayakers off tomales bar boey a few years back in very big seas and it took almost 30 minutes for coast guard bodega to even respond via radio. Luckily we had cell service and were able to call 911. And tell them coast guard wasnt responding. Then they landlined coast guard and told them to awsner the radio. Makes you wonder if a vhf is all that reliable.
 I use a handheld all the time when fishing on my zodiac though. They are super nice for fishing but the only time i see one usefull when diving is when someone gets severely injured and your near fort bragg or bodega.
The only time when diving i ever turned mine on is when i saw a coast guard helicopter circling a dead boat right off shore from me and i was curious to know what was going on.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 09:16:05 PM by ryang85 »

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt